IGNORED

Joe D'Aleo

du_snow

Posted

About Joseph S. D'Aleo

Chief Meteorologist

Weather Services International Corporation

The World's Leading Source for Weather

Joe D'Aleo has over 25 years experience in professional meteorology. He has BS and MS degrees in Meteorology from The University of Wisconsin and did his doctoral studies in Meteorology at NYU. Joe taught Meteorology at the college level for over 8 years and was the first director of Meteorology at the cable TV Weather Channel, a position he held for 7 years. Joe played a key role in designing The Weather Channel' programming and managed a 40 member forecast support staff responsible for the daily production of all on-air weather forecasts and graphics.

Joe joined WSI in 1989 where he has been instrumental in the planning and development of WSI' suite of value-added products and of WSI' meteorological workstations. Joe also has helped in the design of unique weather product families (Golfcast, Sailcast, Weather and Health) and authored widely-read weekly weather stories and features as the popular Dr. Dewpoint on WSI' Intellicast Web site.

Joe is a Certified Consultant Meteorologist and was elected a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society. He has served as member and then chairman of the American Meteorological Society' Committee on Weather Analysis and Forecasting, and has co-chaired national conferences for both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. Joe has authored, presented, and published numerous papers focused on advanced applications enabled by new technologies and how research into phenomena such as El Niño has made possible skillful long-range forecasts on a seasonal basis.

Ive give you, Dr. Joe D'Alleo!

What is your favourite weather type, and why?

My interest in meteorology emerged as a child growing up during the snowy years of the 1950s and 1960s - so snow is my favorite weather type. My master's thesis was on east coast storms - the so called nor'easter. I developed a snow index for Boston that estimates seasonal snow based on 6 weather and climate factors. I frrequently lecture on winters and snow for the media and weather organizations and industry in the US.

Whats the most extreme weather event you've experienced, and how did it alter your perception of nature and the power it holds?

My family and I nearly lost our lives in hurricane Carol in 1954. Our summer home was surrounded by Long Island Sound ocean water with waves lapping at our front door. We were saves as the storm center passed and winds shifted and the water rushed out. We all gained considerable respect for the power of nature that summer.

When did you first become interested in the weather, and why?

My first recollections were of a big snowstorm when I was 18 months old. The snowy days of the 1950s and 1960s made me convinced weather was what I wanted to be involved in for a career.

What do you make of the recent summer in Europe and the UK, and the extreme heat it brought to some areas? Induced by climate change?

Climate change yes...greenhouse no. Just another example of natural cyclical changes. After all, the records broken were set in colder times, most notably 1976, when one of the coldest winters on record followed in North America and elsewhere. The oceans and sun have reverted back to configurations that we had back in the 1950s to 1970s, our last cold era. See my latest story on this topic http://www.intellicast.com/DrDewpoint/Library/1395/. That era was characterized by hotter summers and colder winters.

What do you make of the unusual cold sea anomolies in the mid Atlantic and the coastline around Florida? River runoff? Melt-water from glaciers maybe?

The most remarkable anoamlies were actually the warm anomalies in the north and tropical Atlantic and Pacific, a sign of the return to the state observed in the 1950s and 1960s. The cold water off of the east coast of North America (including Florida) was due to enhanced upwelling due to persistent southerly winds around the very strong Bermuda high this summer. The southerly winds cause a transport of surface water away from the land and an upwelling of colder deeper water from beneath to replace it.

Do you expect the UK will see a severe Winter again, on a par with that of 1963 (for example)?

Absolutely and SOON. The new ocean configuration means the negative (cold) state of the North Atlantic Oscillation will become more and more common. When other factors combine to favor this state, it will become severe. One or more of the winters in the next half dozen years will see an extreme winter average of this oscillation with resultant return of memorable cold and snow for the UK.

I think Joe also deserves a round of applause, for another fantastic interview. Thankyou Joe!

Also see link: http://www.intellicast.com/DrDewpoint/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Thank you Dunc and Thank you Joe interesting interview 8)

Posted

lol me too, I loved this part:

Absolutely and SOON. The new ocean configuration means the negative (cold) state of the North Atlantic Oscillation will become more and more common. When other factors combine to favor this state, it will become severe. One or more of the winters in the next half dozen years will see an extreme winter average of this oscillation with resultant return of memorable cold and snow for the UK.

8):D

Posted

Yes, that gets me excited also, both interviewees were confident of a severe winter in the near future, thank you Dunc for both interviews and also thanks to Mr. D'Aleo and Mr Daly, both fascinating reads :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi Dunc,

You could tell Philip Eden that i always bought the TODAY newspaper back in the 'eighties when he did a Jet Stream forecast. It was almost better than the weather forecast! :D8):D8) :lol:

Posted
Yes, that gets me excited also, both interviewees were confident of a severe winter in the near future, thank you Dunc for both interviews and also thanks to Mr. D'Aleo and Mr Daly, both fascinating reads
No probs Ry, I think they answered the questions regarding sever Winters excellently, and I agree with both John and Joe on those points :D:D
Two great interviews there, some interesting, if a little controversial views on show.

Glad you liked them 8)

Hi Dunc,  

You could tell Philip Eden that i always bought the TODAY newspaper back in the 'eighties when he did a Jet Stream forecast. It was almost better than the weather forecast!

lol will do Peter :lol: You just gave my next interview away! lol