Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

8th October 1995

Weather-history

Posted

Well it is coming up to the 10th anniversary of this absolutely gorgeous day. I remember the day well, it was a Sunday, it was sunny and warm with a balmy breeze, fantastic.

Tropical air had flooded northwards behind a warm front during Saturday night and most of the UK had a beautiful sunny day and temperatures rocketed despite the breeze.

25.6C at Hawarden

24.6C at Heathrow

24.1C at Cambridge

23.5C at Elmdon

23.0C at Ringway

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219951008.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119951008.gif

I remember sitting in the garden just after the sun had set that day in a t-shirt. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's strange- the synoptic chart looks to me like a potential bringer of warm cloudy muggy conditions, but the actual weather was somewhat different to that.

Even in the North East, the day was warm and sunny and the temperature, according to my (admittedly in infancy) weather records, reached 22C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i remember it well..it was my friends wedding the day before. we drove back 2 essex on the friday and it threw it down..when we drove back on the sunday it was fantastic very warm shades on windows down all the way.

Posted

Ah yes I remember this day. The summer of 95 was still fresh in my memory, September had just passed me by as a few weeks of mediocre weather. Then this day- it was like summer had arrived all over again having hardly left us. I really did go back into the mode I'd adopted from late June through August- shorts, sunglasses, doors open and fans on. It felt like getting back to normal rather than being an exception, I had got that used to hot dry sunny weather. The rest of October continued warm and dry too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

I remember it very well. The 7th had been dull and gloomy with a SSW breeze, but I awoke on the 8th to rich blue skies and glorious sun - afternoon temps recorded here, reached 24 c. Same again on the 9th! :rolleyes:

Posted

Bill Giles did the Beeb forecast that evening and he said it was for most of England and Wales, it was the warmest October day for 10 years (1985)

Here's the league table for that day that he gave

London 25C

Cambridge 25C

Chester 25C

Gloucester 24C

Barnstaple 24C

Aberystwyth 24C

Lincoln 24C

Liverpool 23C

Newcastle 23C

Carlisle 23C

Fort Augustus 21C

Whitehaven 21C

So as far north as Carlisle and Newcastle maxima of around 23C were recorded that day

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's remarkably reminiscent of that day. I remember when I first saw the synoptic chart for 8 October 1995, the first thing that went through my mind was "strong SSW'ly winds, therefore cloudy, mild and damp with a bit of sun perhaps for the SE", but the outcome was, as we know, very different.

The same applies equally to today. I certainly didn't expect so much of the country to see as much sunshine as has been experienced today.

Guest Viking141
Well it is coming up to the 10th anniversary of this absolutely gorgeous day. I remember the day well, it was a Sunday, it was sunny and warm with a balmy breeze, fantastic.

Tropical  air had flooded northwards behind a warm front during Saturday night and most of the UK had a beautiful sunny day and temperatures rocketed despite the breeze.

25.6C at Hawarden

24.6C at Heathrow

24.1C at Cambridge

23.5C at Elmdon

23.0C at Ringway

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219951008.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119951008.gif

I remember sitting in the garden  just after the sun had set that day in a t-shirt.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even more memorable of course is what happened later that year. 23rd December to be precise. It started to snow here in Shetland and didnt stop for 3 days, by which time Lerwick was under almost 3 feet of level snow and the drifts in country areas were 30ft deep! The shops ran out of supplies and there was talk of the army being brought in to distribute provisions. Traffic was at an almost complete standstill. Only 4 wheel drives were moving and only in convoy with snow ploughs at the head. Some folk had no electric for something like two weeks and had to resort to putting their frozen food into the snowdrifts to keep chilled! I'll have some more of that please!

:)

• 2 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
13 years ago! B)

what about 23 yrs ago October 1985 , that must have been similar

It was Ports Poly boycots of Barclays re South Africa

All had tee shirts on (ps i wasnt involved in the boycott)

Posted

I don`t even remember it but I must of as I recorded my highest october temp which I didn`t know about until I just looked. :lol:

14c min to 20c maybe 1c higher.

• 3 years later...
Posted

I remember that exact forecast with the temperature table! My youngest sister had been born three days earlier.

That was a very nice late summery interlude. I was already missing the fabulous summer beforehand.

• 8 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Remember this day very well.. and the unusually warm sunny weather continued for about a week after as well.  It seemed quite humid from What I recall despite gun blue skies

Posted
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Shame it likely won't lead to a snowy winter like it did back then

October 1995 was a proper Indian summer month!  As for this coming winter - ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
21 minutes ago, Don said:

October 1995 was a proper Indian summer month!  As for this coming winter - ?

wish we could have proper Indian summer, 0ct 18 was quite good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 03/10/2005 at 15:50, cheeky_monkey said:

i remember it well..it was my friends wedding the day before. we drove back 2 essex on the friday and it threw it down..when we drove back on the sunday it was fantastic very warm shades on windows down all the way.

lol i was just about to jump into this thread and say about my friends wedding and how it remember the weather that weekend..but hey ho looks like i beat myself to it by some 15 years!!

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted

I note that this spell was an Indian summer for some parts of the UK even by the very strictest definitions of "Indian summer" (most refer to a late spell of unseasonably warm quiet weather, but the stricter ones specify a frost beforehand).  There had been a widespread ground frost in Scotland and the north of England overnight 27/28 September 1995, with an air frost in some places, for example it fell to +0.1C at Durham.

Some charts from the ECMWF recently had been reminding me of 8 October 1995 and 27 October 2005, but it looks like the lows will come too far east for that.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 hours ago, Paul_1978 said:

I miss those big arrows that say GALES

miss everything about 90's early 00's bbc weather

• Like 1

• 1 year later...