Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather In Slovenia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
Hi strauch67,

Great picture again. Looks like a good fall !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brilliant shot of Passo Campolongo. Those ski -lifts should be now working !

cheers

Carinthian

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

:blink: Last night cold air from NE reached our country. After fogy nights in last week (temperature was around +3°C), this night was clear. Tmin was +0,8°C and on 5cm -2°C. It was first frost here.

Today will be (I hope) another cold night with Tmin around -3 to +2°C.

Posted
:blink: Last night cold air from NE reached our country. After fogy nights in last week (temperature was around +3°C), this night was clear. Tmin was +0,8°C and on 5cm -2°C. It was first frost here.

Today will be (I hope) another cold night with Tmin around -3 to +2°C.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Iztock,

No sign of frost here. Remarkable warm spell with air up from France for much of this month. Short lived cold spell expected for weekend.

Thanks for the report.

Posted

A bit of the "slovenian cold air" reached also Venice yesterday. After two days of dull weather the wind from NE took fresh air and blu sky. My weather station recorded a minimun of 6,5 C (the weather station is just 30 mt from the water of the lagoon). At the moment the T is 9,8 and the sky is clear. We are going to have a little bit of rain Thursday and then the HP with subtropical component seems will gradually warm us. We will see. Ciao a tutti

Posted
A bit of the "slovenian cold air" reached also Venice yesterday. After two days of dull weather the wind from NE took  fresh air and blu sky. My weather station recorded a minimun of 6,5 C (the weather station is just 30 mt from the water of the lagoon). At the moment the T is 9,8 and the sky is clear. We are going to have a little bit of rain Thursday and then the HP with subtropical component seems will gradually warm us. We will see. Ciao a tutti

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is how it looked today at the 5Torri near Cortina (Dolomites)

cam40.jpg

Posted

Clear and calm weather is now past for us :D Doday is cloudy with light rain.

I m attaching diagram from sinkhole Medunjska grapa (6 km from my weather station) for memory ;)

medgrapa17191005a7qn.jpg

In my station Tmin was -0,6°C and frost was 3 times. Today temperature is around +9°C.

England has quite warm weather these days-interesting... and boringly ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

govnja293010054ab.jpg

This is short report from Julian Alps in Slo. :) I was there with friend who remeasured -41,2°C near by on 2.march this year . Tmin in this sinkhole was around -12°C on 2m! There was a lot of frost, ha,ha.

ps: those temperatures were in night from 29. 10. to 30.10.2005 :)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

A few days ago and last night we got first centimeters of snow - especialy in the east part of Slovenia (eaven 5 cm).

But tomorrow :blush: ...it will be show time. :doh:

In the Primorska region very strong and gale force NE wind are expected (wind gusts over 40m/s) :blush:

I hope for "wind"chasing.

gross44wv4hr.jpg

Edited by Iztok Sinjur

Posted
But tomorrow :mellow: ...it will be show time. :o

In the Primorska region very strong and gale force NE wind are expected (wind gusts over 40m/s) :D

I hope for "wind"chasing.

Ha, ha.... it was fantastic! Wind, its name is bora or burja (SLO), reached eaven 155km/h (43 m/s) and temperature was -8°C... Here are some photos from wednesday, 23.11.05

resizeofpb2300160zt.jpg

Max. speed :D in m/s

resizeofpb2300308vn.jpg

View from the top of Nanos (1262 m)

resizeofreexposureofpb2300489q.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

The winter time is allready here, but we have snow cover eaven from the end of november :D Temperatures are not very low, but snow doesn´t melt. At the end of november we had 30 to 50 cm of snow and in higher places around 70 cm.

Julian Alps has from 1 to 2,2 m of snow.

Here is one picture from last week B)

On Komna

resizeofpc1100349wj.jpg

• 1 month later...
Posted

As you can see, we set up a few dataloggers in some sinkholes on Komna.

Now we get first informations about temperature between 11.12.05 and 14.1.2006. Sample rate was 15 min.

We were there from Friday, 13.1. to Sunday, 15.1.06 and we were remeasured some interesting temperature. Weather was sunny and calm with T850 hPa around -2°C. Snow depth was 2m and more.

On Friday night at 8.45 pm (UTC) we were at the bottom of nearest sinkhole. It's 100m deep and has sky view factor 0,6.

Outside temperature was ~-4,5°C, but at the bottom thermometer indicated -32,4°C. The same T was in Sunday morning.

In Saturday we collected data from different locations where loggers were set up. When we get to Planina Govnjač (1455 m a.s.l.) around midday, the temperature was still ~ -30°C! So extreme temperature inversion wasn't broke up whole week!

Some interesting values: 11.12.05-14.1.06Planina Govnjač: Tmin= -36,0°C (13.1.) The coldest day: 13.1. with average day T -32,9°C

Lepa Komna: Tmin= -37,4°C

Lepa Ruša : Tmin= -28,4°C

At -32°C

p11500940dj.jpg

Full moon

p11400790wk.jpg

...snow, snow, snow

p11400596ju.jpg

Here is one example of extreme cooling (30.12.05) after heavy snowfall, when the sky clearing up early in the morning. At 3 am (UTC) was ~ -10°C, at 6 am (UTC) ~ -30°C. The temperature inversion broke up around medday, because SW wind announced a new heavy snowfall.

govnja3012052sm.jpg

Last week the lowest morning temperatures at lowland stations was between -10 to -19°C.

Posted

On 25 January we reached the new unofficial record low temperature in Slovenia!

I and my friend were yesterday on Komna where we have diferent dataloggers and minimum thermometers.

Tmin -41,7 °C was at 8 am (local time)

Record place

Lepa Komna

:(

Edited by Iztok Sinjur

• 1 month later...
Posted

After a long winter this year (snow cover in Grosuplje from November 23) we expect a lot of rain and snow in the next few days (~100 mm/m2) Look GFS or other models.

The minimum temperature on my station this morning was -13,5°C and we had 14 cm of snow coverage.

Short weather reports

Edited by Iztok Sinjur

Posted

very interesting read there, thank you

John

Posted

Well, 3 days ago we have impresive weather conditions. A lot of rain on SW Slo (150-200mm/m2) and 1-2 m of new snow in the mountains (Julian Alps especially). In lower part the hight of snow cover existed between 25 to 60 cm. On Sunday (5.3.06) during precipitation, the cold from NE hit our country so we had some storms too. There was extreme intensity of snow precipitation-eaven 8 cm/hour!

After that, mornings are quite cold with around -10 to -17. Real winter.

Here are some photos from Vogel (near Komna) 1500m asl.

vogel63063px.jpg

vogel63069oc.jpg

On the road during the snow blizzard on Sunday afternoon

resizeofp30500421st.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I really can't believe the amount of snow that has fallow over in Europe this winter, it looks like some places have had a real dumping.

I wonder, do you usually get this much snow?

Posted
I wonder, do you usually get this much snow?

Well, this winter wasn't very different about amount of snow (in the mountains), but it is longer than winters in the last 15 or 20 years. In my town the snow cover exist 106 days (from November 23) Temperatures are low but in average deviation.

In the mountains (under 2000m asl) the depth of snow isn't record. Record was reached in the year 2001 -on Kredarica weather station 2515 m was 7 m of snow (April).

But for elevations around 1500 m asl is 3 to 4m of snow approaching to record values.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Some new informations from sinkholes temperature monitoring and monthly weather report for Grosuplje was added on my website :o

Now we have a springtime too. Daily temperatures are around +15°C. We had a storms in the last few days. Here is one picture.p32900504yw1yi.th.jpg

A part of big Cb cap above Ljubljana (29.3.)

• 2 months later...
Posted

After average temperatures and a lot of precipitation in May, 1st decade of June was unusual chilly with average daily temperatures around +12 °C.

But these days are very hot :( Every day temperature reach +30 and more and especially the East part of Slovenia has a strong convection.

10 cm of snow at 700 m a.s.l. May 30, 2006

resizeofp53000087di.jpg

In the lower parts the precipitation amount in 2 days localy reached 100 mm and more.

June 13: An explosive convection in late afternoon South from Ljubljana

p61300522jj.jpg

Storms lasted late in the night :)

p61301104on.jpg

ps: you can see more about research in sinkholes and weather in the last monthes on my website :)

Posted
After average temperatures and a lot of precipitation in May, 1st decade of June was unusual chilly with average daily temperatures around +12 °C.

But these days are very hot :wallbash: Every day temperature reach +30 and more and especially the East part of Slovenia has a strong convection.

10 cm of snow at 700 m a.s.l. May 30, 2006

resizeofp53000087di.jpg

In the lower parts the precipitation amount in 2 days localy reached 100 mm and more.

June 13: An explosive convection in late afternoon South from Ljubljana

p61300522jj.jpg

Storms lasted late in the night B)

p61301104on.jpg

ps: you can see more about research in sinkholes and weather in the last monthes on my website :)

Hello again Iztok,

Just love your sinkhole site and those great pictures you have sent of the late afternoon and evening storms.

Keep posting !

Carinthian