Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Indian Summer 1994

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

post-3222-1127034567.gif

Anyone remember this Indian Summer?

The days surrounding this chart were settled, with dense morning fog - clearing to a succession of sunny afternoons with temps often over 20 c. Sometimes up to 23 c.

I recall a very cold northerly to start this month, with widespread night frosts, and snow showers in N and E Scotland.

Things soon settled down around the 5th or 6th, and then temps recovered.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted

Well I don't remember that month myself but 23c in the middle of October is not my idea of fun! :) ... I can remember 25c on the 13th of October 2001 thats a true Indian summer as hot weather in September doesn't actually count.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns
    Well I don't remember that month myself but 23c in the middle of October is not my idea of fun! :) ... I can remember 25c on the 13th of October 2001 thats a true Indian summer as hot weather in September doesn't actually count.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can remember 25 or 26 c in October 1995. :)

I'll try and find the chart.....

Posted
    I can remember 25 or 26 c in October 1995. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What temperature did it reach that day? :unsure:

Posted
    What temperature did it reach that day? :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't find the temps for that day in the archives, but my diary recorded 21. 5 c here in Birmingham. On the 13th, reached 22 c.

Posted
    I can remember 25 or 26 c in October 1995. :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is it...

post-3222-1127035791_thumb.png

Edited by Breezy Brum
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember October 1994 in Tyne & Wear for a remarkable fine week (11th-17th) during which temperatures typically peaked at 15-18C, night minima fell to 3-6C, and there was plenty of hazy sunshine by day. I can safely say that it was one of my all-time favourite October weeks.

However, while it may have been a very sunny month overall in the south, in the North East the rest of the month was unremarkable.

Posted

It did'nt last too long though:

post-3222-1127039033_thumb.png

Still fine, but chilly!

Posted

I don't remember the Autumn 1994 as really having a proper Indian summer, the November was record breakingly mild.

October 1995 was much more like an Indian summer, October 8th 1995 was an absolutely gorgeous day with sunshine, a balmy wind and temperatures into the low 20s. Fantastic.

• 8 months later...
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes, November 1994 was the mildest on record with a CET of 10.1C, which is 3.2C above average and was only 0.1C cooler than October 1994 which had a CET of 10.2C, which is 0.3C below average.