Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Pictures

Rollo

Posted

post-1209-1124437177.jpgpost-1209-1124437244.jpgpost-1209-1124437280_thumb.jpgpost-1209-1124437317.jpgI have just found these photos from an old "Weather" Magazine. I thought these may have some nostalgic interest to some older members, like myself and give hope to others who have never experienced such conditions.

1) Huge snowdrifts, capped by majestic cornices, blocked the Barbard Castle-Kirkby Stephen line at Barras, 19/2/47.

2)York Station Nov. 19 1962

3)Clearing an overhanging cornice at Rickarton, Roxburghshire, Jan. '63

4)Bulldozer helping with snow clearance of an avalanche that blocked the Carlisle - Edinburgh line, Jan. '63.

(All pictures courtesy of British Rail)

Posted

I know mate. Great pictures that captured what the winter was about.

I only really remember once of a winter, where we had 5ft snow drifts in the back garden, which I think was the 1991 that we have been talking about. I can remember listening to the radio, and our school being listed as one that was closed. Apart from that, living in a village which on a hill, the bus couldnt get to us anyway :lol:

Posted

Thanks for the pictures Mike, I couldn't imagine a winter like that. Reading the article its interesting to see that the main havoc was actually from a warm front.

"After a night of severe frosts the ground temp was well below freezing but the warm front passing raised the air temp to above freezing". Obviously I don't know exactly what happened but I suspect this caused a lot of freezing rain as the warmer air hit a bitterly cold ground.

WBSH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Bet we won't see snow like that again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
Bet we won't see snow like that again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably not but you never know!....<pine>

Posted

what I would do to see a snow event like that in my lifetime! (ideally for it to start over the weekend, so it would bring the trains to a complete standstill and be unable to get into work!)