Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Frost Report

The Enforcer

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

To kick this off I found this, which is pretty self-explanatory:

Frosts.bmp

Posted

I should imagine this year will see the lowest number of frosts ever in my location, so far this year I have recorded only 13 days which had one: 3 in January, 6 in February, 3 in March and 1 in April.

Ive never actually recorded an air frost before 19th October, so we're going to have to have a pretty cold November and December to prevent it being the lowest year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Interesting graph- definitely showing the recent warming trend.

Interesting to note the tough of the mid 70s and peak of the 1890s - wonder what that was about?

Posted
I should imagine this year will see the lowest number of frosts ever in my location, so far this year I have recorded only 13 days which had one: 3 in January, 6 in February, 3 in March and 1 in April.

Ive never actually recorded an air frost before 19th October, so we're going to have to have a pretty cold November and December to prevent it being the lowest year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This year's airfrosts here in Shrewsbury:

January 2

February 9

March 8

April 3

May 2

Pretty amazing to have May the same as January (and April higher)!

Only need another 10 to have more than in 2002, I think we'll easily manage that even with a milder than average Oct-Nov-Dec.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

In 2004 I recorded 38 air frosts: Jan 7, Feb 12, Mar 4, Apr 2, Nov 4, Dec 9. So far this year there has been 30: Jan 5, Feb 8, Mar 9, Apr 7, May 1. If this November and December are similar to last year then this year should be frostier than 2004. However it is highly unlikely that it will be anywhere near 2003 as I recorded 52 frosts: Jan 9, Feb 19, Mar 8, Apr 1, Oct 1, Nov 2, Dec 12 (including 1 ice day).

Edited by Anti-Mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

25 air frosts so far this year here, well below average but it almost certainly won't be the least frosty year on record as the whole of 2002 had only 27.

The most on record (since 1977 ) was 94 in 1979.

It's unusual to have late spring or early autumn frosts here as there's almost always a breeze and frost at these times of year is due to radiative cooling resulting in the the cold air sinking into the valleys .

T.M

• 9 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

What were the final frost figures for 2005, i would imagine that the cold spells during November and December almost doubled some peoples frost counts.

Posted

November and December 2005 had 20 frosts between them here, meaning my total count for the year was 33, actually above the average of 29. What a turnaround!

21 Air frosts here so far in 2006 aswell, so as long as November and December arent ridiculously mild it should beat the average again.

Posted

What benchmark are you basing the average on?????

Posted
What benchmark are you basing the average on?????

Im basing it on the 1971-2000 average of air frost days in my location, heres the data:

Jan: 7.7

Feb 7.1

Mar 3.3

Apr 1.6

May 0.1

Jun-Sep 0

Oct 0.4

Nov 2.8

Dec 6.0

The value of 0.1 for example, shows May generally sees a frost here only once every 10 years.

Posted

Your data seems to correspond pretty well with my thoughts as i do not live far away from you are frosts counts are fairly similar however i am going by memory as i do not have any actual data.