Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Everblasted Pea

Posted

It's back! I've been having a war with everlasting pea for a year now. It had got rampant in a neglected garden and last year I attempeted to dig some out. Got down about two feet to find an electricity cable and roots still going vertical into the house foundation substrate so I had to clean up as best I could and backfill.

Another patch was against the side of the house with roots under slabs so it's been treated with various applications of Weedol and Pathclear and I thought I had the measure of it but it's re-apeared again. Yet another patch is compromised by an old established honeysuckle and a climbing rose so it's a constant round of hand pulling the shoots as best I can.

Anyone got any suggestions to how I can eradicate this menace? (I don't like poisoning soil but I'm seriously considering chlorate)

Posted

If you have tried everything else then Sodium Chlorate really is the only option. I assume you won't want to be growing anything else on the site for quite a while?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My only success was with Roundup. I think it's glyphosate or something, but it is systemic and doesn't poison the soil... <_<

Posted

Thanks Pete, I'll give Roundup a go. I'll maybe have to carefully paint it on the emerging shoots where it might compromise other plants. Although chlorate is an option for the paved area I'm wary about run-off and there is a border I want to plant up once that's cleaned out so I don't want to harm the soil there.

This is now officially WAR! :)