Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Eye Candy (tuft)

Posted

Struck by the number of small tortoiseshell butterflys working the flowers today I decided a work-break and photo op was in order.

Enjoying the nectar on a patch of candytuft

tortoiseshell2.jpg

Close up

tortoiseshell.jpg

Basking on the warm crazy paving

tortoiseshell4.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Great photos frogesque.

Well captured with beautiful colours.

Weather Observer

Posted

Thanks for all the kind comments, especially as I was a bit naughty with the thread title - Got your attention though Mondy :)

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Great Pix there!

I'm not sure where our butterflies have gone this year. The buddleia bushes are in flower and are normally covered with many species of butterfly from whites through to gatekeepers, red admirals and peacocks. All I saw last weekend were a few whites. Maybe the other species have still to hatch and/or pupate.

Guest Mrs murphymoo

Beautiful butterfly pics.

I'm waiting for my buddlea to flower to hopefully attract some butterflies - although they are enjoying my jasmine and lavendar at the moment too :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Thing I find strange about butterflies, is they are in the same family as moths, in fact theyre a good as moths, yet people find moths disgusting and butterflies beautiful.

They are both beautiful im my opinion; moths and butterflies - nice pics :)

Posted
Thing I find strange about butterflies, is they are in the same family as moths, in fact theyre a good as moths, yet people find moths disgusting and butterflies beautiful.

They are both beautiful im my opinion; moths and butterflies - nice pics :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with you.

I was trying to explain this to my kids the other day, they came screaming out of the bedroom because of this huge moth! I told them they are just, what I call, night butterflys. I am not too sure they were convinced.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think I have three reason why people don't like them.

1) At the stage of growing up, children are taught moths are bad and eat your clothes -hmm.

2) Secondly, the most common species of moth in the UK has dark foliage so it looks 'scary' to children and aesthetically dark is not welcomed in human culture

3) Thirdly the name Moth sounds like something out of a nightmare, the word is aesthetically displeasing.

Still despite this, there is, in reality nothing wrong with moths, they are harmless insects who have received a bad name through human story telling.

Butterflies apply to the above, only in opposite ideologies

Guest Mrs murphymoo

I'm one of those people that doesn't like Moths really, but I do like butterflies - the reason?

Moths always flap around you, and get stuck in your hair, and generall bombard you. Butterflies tend not to do this, and tend to sit peacefully on flowers and then flutter about, but not come near you.

This is why I don't like moths, but don't mind butterflies :)

Posted
I'm one of those people that doesn't like Moths really, but I do like butterflies - the reason?

Moths always flap around you, and get stuck in your hair, and generall bombard you.  Butterflies tend not to do this, and tend to sit peacefully on flowers and then flutter about, but not come near you.

This is why I don't like moths, but don't mind butterflies :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting you should say that, I had 2 butterflies landed on my arm about a week ago, I wish I could have had my camera at the time!