Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Organic Fertilisers

Posted

I've got some organic lawn food from B&Q, which consists of:-

1.5% Hoof and Horn (this sounds like a night out with Flagpole)

8,75% Red Slag (this sounds like.....no, better not)

9.75% Kall

and 80% Rape Meal.

I assme I'm ok putting the rabbit and guinea pig straight back on the lawn once it's watered in and not waiting six weeks like I would with Evergreen or something similar?

Anyone know about these things?

Posted
I know it's obvious, but, if it's harmful to pets it should say on the packet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But on packs of Evergreen etc, it says no need to keep pets off the lawn. However, when you phone them up, they tell you this doesn't apply to pets which might eat the grass. They told me this wasn't an oversight, it was just obvious. Erm...ok.

Posted

I actually wasn't joking about the BSE thing (or in fact any cross species nasty like scrapy).....because that kind of animal material is the stuff that could still have it in.....

Maybe that's why they don't recommend pets eating the grass until it's had time to rinse away a bit?

Posted

Hi there ROO and OON – and others

If you spread something on lawns and then let animals graze, surely they’ll reject what they don’t like, i.e. they won’t eat the grass.

Why not do as we do – we keep dozens of guinea pigs and rabbits. :)

Their ‘organic’ sh*t etc gets recycled on the compost heap(s) and then I spread it on the lawn early the following spring. :)

Don’t half make the grass grow!! :)

Roo – as far as them getting BSE, I don’t think that they can because that would mean a cross-species infection which is pretty rare.

They used to say that couldn’t happen.

Then came BSE and avian flu, etc. :D

Posted

Looks like it might be the rape meal that's the problem (if there is one)....

'Oilseed rape meal is used as high protein feed supplement for livestock and poultry.Concerns about the nutritional safety of erucic acid in oilseed rape oil, and of glucosinolates in oilseed rape meal, led to the development of varieties that have low levels of both glucosinolates and erucic acid (also known as "double low" varieties).'

I'm assuming as an organic feed (and hence not GM) that it's likely to be the gluco-whatsit variety?

From: http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/gm/reg...f/03-r38-01.pdf

Edited by Roo

Posted

Thanks everyone. The problem with chemical fertilisers is the residue that builds up in the grass, which can lead to all sorts of nasty problems.

As for BSE.....if anyone could diagnose a rabbit or a guniea pig with it. I'll take my hat off to them*

*if I wore one.