Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC Weather Forecasts and Graphics Discussion

J10

Posted
Theres another saying. Works expands to fill the time available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..... so does the BBC News editors stopwatch when nearing the end of the bulletin!

Posted
Microburst, is there any point in those summaries at the start of the forecasts as they tell you nothing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This has just come in on the fax to us this morning so ...... look for the weather warning flash on the new graphics today!! This must be quite serious as we do not usually get this only in times of emergencies!! Interesting......

Here is an ADVANCED WARNING of Heavy Rain affecting England and Wales.

Issued by the Met Office at 06:59 on Thursday, 23 June 2005.

The Met Office is forecasting the current mini heat-wave to break down with thunderstorms developing across England and east Wales in the next 36 hours. The storms are expected to arrive across Wales and southwest England on Thursday night, transferring N/NE into other parts of England during Friday. The storms could be severe and long lasting with squally winds and large hail.

Torrential downpours of the order of 60mm in a 3 hour period are possible with total accumulations reaching 100mm or more locally.

Such rainfall totals could lead to significant flash flooding, particularly in areas prone to rapid runoff.

The area at greatest risk of disruption is expected to extend from eastern parts of SW England and central-southern England northeastwards across the Midlands and E/NE England, but even within this area, some regions will escape the worst of the storms.

For enquiries regarding this warning - please contact your regional Met Office.

Transmitted by the Met Office at 06:59 on Thursday 23 June

MB

Posted
On this subject of 'TIME' again as I am on earlies this week I will try to collar one of the TV schedulers this morning for a definitive answer however but, as I have said on the previous threads about the queries on this subject - it is very, very complex and political with programme makers and editors alike.

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi MB

Thank you for saying you will try. None of us can ask for more than that. I do suspect that it will need a countrywide 'revolt' on the scale of the graphics complaints to get action.

thank you though

John

Edited by johnholmes

One argument to have longer weather forecasts is that they are very cheap, and by having longer news and weather, then less programming time would be needed and this should save money.

Posted
The idea of the summary at the beginning is to give a broad headline as to the general weather theme, rather like the Headline sting on the news. As to the point of it - well, it is also there for warnings so I suppose there may be some point.

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But how can you cover the whole of this country with 3 words?

Posted
But how can you cover the whole of this country with 3 words?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In short, you can't, because it is unusual for the whole of the UK to have uniform similarity however, it is there primarily as a headline grabber or to tell the weather story. Please, GP let's not blow this out of proportion, but I understand your query and will pass it on.

MB

Posted

This is all very interesting reading, cheers Microburst - especially for that weather warning :)

One thing I was perhaps hoping to see this morning was an obvious sign on the forecast for thunderstorms. I mean perhaps in the 'puddley' rain prediction there could be lightning symbols or flashing movement.

All tonight/tomorrow looked like was a mass of blue/green blobs which would be the same as for just rain. Granted the forecaster did say about widespread thunderstorms - but not everyone can hear their tv :rolleyes:

The only sign of thunder was on the city screen where London had lightning flashing for tomorrow.

One person who is confused is my neighbour, she thinks it's just going to rain tonight/tomorrow. She only knows of the thunder risk because I told her over the fence!!

Posted
This is all very interesting reading, cheers Microburst - especially for that weather warning :)

One thing I was perhaps hoping to see this morning was an obvious sign on the forecast for thunderstorms. I mean perhaps in the 'puddley' rain prediction there could be lightning symbols or flashing movement.

All tonight/tomorrow looked like was a mass of blue/green blobs which would be the same as for just rain. Granted the forecaster did say about widespread thunderstorms - but not everyone can hear their tv :rolleyes:

The only sign of thunder was on the city screen where London had lightning flashing for tomorrow.

One person who is confused is my neighbour, she thinks it's just going to rain tonight/tomorrow. She only knows of the thunder risk because I told her over the fence!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK Andy.... I have contacted Weather about this directly today and they say they are working on possibility of lightning flashes. There is a problem showing this as there is tv colour problem interspersing this with the rain. Green blobs are depicted by areas of intense rain but I agree this needs more clarification.

Point taken and comments raised.

By the way I am told the next 36 hours could be very very interesting with this thundery weather. I like storms so I have an added interest.

MB

Posted

Thank you Microburst :rolleyes:

The main thing I was thinking was that, on the old hatched rainfall projection, if there was a thunder risk it was shown by lightning symbol imposed on the hatching :)

Posted
Thank you Microburst :rolleyes:

The main thing I was thinking was that, on the old hatched rainfall projection, if there was a thunder risk it was shown by lightning symbol imposed on the hatching :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Andy,

No, there is a definite move away from static symbols. Heaven and earth was moved to get wind arrows which have now be made permanent the lightning will be incorporated as an animation I understand - similar and in a bit more clarity to that used on Sky News.

MB

Posted
Hey Andy,

No, there is a definite move away from static symbols. Heaven and earth was moved to get wind arrows which have now be made permanent the lightning will be incorporated as an animation I understand - similar and in a bit more clarity to that used on Sky News.

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info MB. Problem is , wasn't it predictable that lightning flashes would be needed ?We were told that these new graphics could do anything-why does it need heaven and earth to be moved to get wind arrows FGS. It suggests that the thought processes that led to these new graphics are a bit off kilter to put it mildly :o

Posted
In short, you can't, because it is unusual for the whole of the UK to have uniform similarity however, it is there primarily as a headline grabber or to tell the weather story. Please, GP let's not blow this out of proportion, but I understand your query and will pass it on.

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, wasn't trying to blow it out of proportion - just thought without that section, there would be more time for the forecasters to do their job! :o

Posted
Thanks for the info MB. Problem is , wasn't it predictable that lightning flashes would be needed ?We were told that these new graphics could do anything-why does it need heaven and earth to be moved to get wind arrows FGS. It suggests that the thought processes that led to these new graphics are a bit off kilter to put it mildly  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the BBC, Mr S, hindsight is an amazing phenomenon. It needs heaven and earth to move things because of the way the internal workings of the organisation operate. Without wishing to be toooo disrespectful to my employers and give toooo many trade secrets away :o trust me I know.

As for the lightning flashes yes, may be, lets be happy that negotiations from the members of this forum via yours truly have not fallen on deaf ears. I am happy that this appears to be a bit of a coup for Net weather followers! :)

MB

Posted
Sorry, wasn't trying to blow it out of proportion - just thought without that section, there would be more time for the forecasters to do their job! :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

One thing that i'm missing on the forecasts are the WEATHER WARNING/WATCH/ADVICE boards, which used give a decent summary of the impending bad weather, one positive thing this afternoon was Carol Kirkwood presenting the weather live from Wimbledon on News 24, didn't seemed rushed and quite refreshing.

Posted
One thing that i'm missing on the forecasts are the WEATHER WARNING/WATCH/ADVICE boards, which used give a decent summary of the impending  bad weather, one positive thing this afternoon was Carol Kirkwood presenting the weather live from Wimbledon on News 24, didn't seemed rushed and quite refreshing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Comments noted about the Warning flash bands, will pass this on tomorrow for you.

MB

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Microburst, this is great that you are able to pass on comments to them from N-w, but their not going to get fed up with it are they.

Would'nt want them too.

Oh and thanks for all that you do help with, i am sure many others here agree.

mandy xx

Posted
Microburst, this is great that you are able to pass on comments to them from N-w, but their not going to get fed up with it are they.

Would'nt want them too.

Oh and thanks for all that you do help with, i am sure many others here agree.

mandy xx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Amanda,

The weather team are more likely to get fed up with me than N-w members, but don't worry not so at the moment. B) Thank you for your message.

MB

Posted

Green Blobs!!

Hi all,

Had an e mail overnight from weather in response to questions about the depiction of lightning/ rain intensity on the new graphics. It looks like the green blobs are going to continue for the time being. No other explanation was given.

Any further thoughts then please let me know.

MB

Posted
Green Blobs!!

Hi all,

Had an e mail overnight from weather in response to questions about the depiction of lightning/ rain intensity on the new graphics. It looks like the green blobs are going to continue for the time being. No other explanation was given. 

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I refer back to my previous mail where we were told that the graphics could do anything.Well either they can't or it's pure stubbornness by the BBC.

Thing is , the main reason given for the change was that they wanted to make the weather easier to understand - the green blobs quite clearly do not portay a thunderstorm risk which quite clearly is one of the most dangerous of weather phenomenon.

I take your point about them listening and making changes, but apart from a few cosmetics here and there the changes amount to diddly squat in practise and the whole exercise is still a top class bodge up :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Green Blobs!!

Hi all,

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess we'll have to keep pestering them. I'm sure Joe Six pack wouldn't get confused by a lighning symbol. He'll certainly get confused by a green blob.

Also the timing on the forecast certainly for breakfast is very variable. Anytime time between 6.40 to after 6.50. This often means I miss it as I have too leave for work. Any chance of this being fixed as most of time is taken up with pointless headlines from news papers referring to Posh and Becks etc

Posted
Well I refer back to my previous mail where we were told that the graphics could do anything.Well either they can't or it's pure stubbornness by the BBC.

Thing is , the main reason given for the change was that they wanted to make the weather easier to understand - the green blobs quite clearly do not portay a thunderstorm risk which quite clearly is one of the most dangerous of weather phenomenon.

I take your point about them listening and making changes, but apart from a  few cosmetics here and there the changes amount to diddly squat in practise and the whole exercise  is still a top class bodge up :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr S,

You have to understand that the technical advancements of digital and analogue televison broadcast and run side by side do bring forth presentation problems. It is a fact of life! What looks good on one, fails on another and it is down not just to the weather department to manage these graphics but engineering technicians and others.

Everyone is working hard on these things at the moment. What we have achieved through the consultation through the expertise and goodwill from the people of this site has been good in the past 4 weeks and the results have been seen on screen.

I do not agree with you at all that the whole exercise is a bodge up. Like all cars with engine problems ..... a few trips to the garage are required! Please be patient and a bit more understanding. Ta

MB :)

Posted
Mr S,

You have to understand that the technical advancements of digital and analogue televison broadcast and run side by side do bring forth presentation problems. It is a fact of life! What looks good on one, fails on another and it is down not just to the weather department to manage these graphics but engineering technicians and others.

Everyone is working hard on these things at the moment. What we have achieved through the consultation through the expertise and goodwill from the people of this site has been good in the past 4 weeks and the results have been seen on screen.

I do not agree with you at all that the whole exercise is a bodge up. Like all cars with engine problems ..... a few trips to the garage are required! Please be patient and a bit more understanding. Ta

MB :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not that I don't appreciate your efforts, but apart from the odd wind arrow and occasional poor graphic synoptic chart , I can't see much improvement, sorry

Posted

hi

Have posted this in the Countryfile thread but it will not hurt for it to be given an airing here.

Essentially for MB, I'm impressed today, but please read my general comments below please?

hi

Just watched my first Countryfile forecast since those new graphics came on. This was with Penny Tranter.

Overall, I was impressed, but MB please note, why oh why is such a good presentation ruined by the short time given??

Apart from that complaint it was well presented, good use of all the graphics, including 'moving' surface charts with fronts and isobars for most days to set the scene, Then an explanation using the graphics, well done BBC. Just spoilt a little at the end as she showed rain moving in on Friday for all parts but did not show the surface chart before hand. No doubt the time problem.

Really BBC why not take on board that a job worth doing is worth doing well. You are ruining the forecasters' ability to give a good and clear presentation by chopping, at most, 45 secs off ALL the TV weather broadcasts. Very very sad.

regards

John

will post this in the graphics bit also, PLEASE MB TRY and do something with the greedy producers and their ridiculous mis-use of trailers beofre and after weather forecasts - not on Countryfile but time is still lost with this.

regards

John