Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC Weather Forecasts and Graphics Discussion

J10

Posted

The BBC are really starting to annoy me now i wan't to find out what the weather will be like on saturday and sunday because i am planning to go walking in the Peak District, every forecast i have seen so far today hasn't gone past tommorrow for some reason or other usually they do a forecast for up to 2 to 3 days ahead so why not today could it be down to the fact that there is talk of snow on the way?.

Well D-s, you're in the right place!!! Click here: www.netweather.tv/snow risk

Posted

The BBC are really starting to annoy me now i wan't to find out what the weather will be like on saturday and sunday because i am planning to go walking in the Peak District, every forecast i have seen so far today hasn't gone past tommorrow for some reason or other usually they do a forecast for up to 2 to 3 days ahead so why not today could it be down to the fact that there is talk of snow on the way?.

for going on the hills anywhere in the UK use this

www.miwis.co.uk or something similar=type in miwis anyway to the search engine=

first class

also STOP using BBC site it has never been much good

use this-same people as you see on BBC TV weather but its infinitely superior

www.metofiice.gov org/uk=not sure which-simply type in met office uk in search engine

they have also started to do mountain forecasts for 3 days ahead.

no one will do it any further.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Our local BBC weather presenters are not the best. Diane Oxberry, Heather Stott know little about the weather but the one that takes the biscuit is Eno Equator! I'm sure she is a lovely lady but she is awful!

Maybe that explains why they are so poor in your opinion. I'm sure these weather presenters do have knowledge about the weather and more than likely got some qualifications in Meteorology but some are quite poor but i find the ITV's presenters even worse.

At least the BBC don't use ex news readers too tell the weather like ITV does, i can't bear to think Carol Malia presenting the weather on those graphics!

• 4 weeks later...

Philip Avery in last night's 10.30pm broadcast on BBC One last night put up a graphic showing the "wide contrast" in temperatures across the UK yesterday with a large 10 over Scotland and 19 over the south-east of England:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rydsr/BBC_Weather_09_04_2010/

What utter nonsense, the maximum temperatures across Scotland were as follows:

Glasgow Airport: 15C

Prestwick: 15C

Edinburgh Gogarbank: 15C

Leuchars: 15C

Dundee/Riverside: 14C

Inverness: 14C

Tulloch Bridge: 13C

Aberdeen: 13C

Aviemore: 12C

I simply couldn't believe that the BBC had resorted to such sloppy forecasting to make a point about temperature contrasts. In fact, I'll go further than that. I couldn't believe that the BBC were happy broadcasting something as "fact" which was bordering on a lie. And why? What was gained by it? What a bizarre thing to use to start a forecast.

In all fairness to the man, the maximum temperature at Glen Ogle was only 9C, but that's at a slight altitude of 564m. There were some 10C or less maxima, all but one of which were either high up or far out on an island. That one exception was Dundrennan which had a maximum of 9C, so he can't have been quoting that one.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

BBC being very London centric in this evenings forecasts, with headline forecasts for a switch in current temps of 14 degrees to 22 degrees at the weekend, yes perhaps for London and the SE this may be the case, not for the rest of us, especially the north and west where temps will struggle to get much above 17 degrees probably and also many places today were 11 degrees or less.

They probably just wanted to emphasise the conditions for the London marathon. I just wish they got toned down the London centric emphasise, not all of us are interested in London weather it is very rarely indicative of the rest of the country indeed it is normally far from indicative and therefore very misleading.