Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC Weather Forecasts and Graphics Discussion

J10

Posted

How remiss of me, I forgot to tell you that experimental wind arrows are being added to forecasts this week, any comments please let me know. Thank you for all your past input on the previous thread. Undoubtedly this has helped and the comments passed on will make a difference.

MB

Posted

I was very pleased to see the wind arrows on last night's 22.30 forecast :) .

It looked a little odd to see figures like 9,11 and 14 rather than the previous method of multiples of 5, but I would guess they are a more accurate reflection of the likely breeze!

How remiss of me, I forgot to tell you that experimental wind arrows are being added to forecasts this week, any comments please let me know. Thank you for all your past input on the previous thread. Undoubtedly this has helped and the comments passed on will make a difference.

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love to see them stay as when the map moves around you can get a feel of the wind strength over a wide area rather than the presenter having to mention it within the forecast.

May I ask another question MB (thanks for passing on our suggestions, hope you get a payrise and make DG one day :) ) will any graphics appear on the main chart for thunderstorms in the future.

Thanks

I like them to be honest, but I would prefer it if they were also shown on the summary charts shown on the forecast, Usually day 2 onwards.

The charts IMO has made big improvements since their launch, why weren't some of these issues thought about in the PR exercise before the switchover.

Posted

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tks MB, the wind arrows are an improvement, slowly we are getting there!

regards

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

regards

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the wind arrows are good. This is what I thought the new graphics were really lacking, and this has improved them greatly. Before, you barely knew anything about the wind (particularly speed) but now the wind speed has been added it's a great help. I would still like more use of pressure charts though!

Posted
I would love to see them stay as when the map moves around you can get a feel of the wind strength over a wide area rather than the presenter having to mention it within the forecast.

May I ask another question MB (thanks for passing on our suggestions, hope you get a payrise and make DG one day :) ) will any graphics appear on the main chart for thunderstorms in the future.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL cm2 - payrise - hopeful but unlikely, DG no thanks! to stressful! :)

Thunderstorm graphics seem to be depicted by luminous green blobs at the moment. :) This too, is being looked into. Lightning flashes are used on the regional temperature summaries as a guide but as ever....... watch this space.

MB

Posted

regards

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope you liked the whole globe synoptic - used this evening for the first time by Alex. :)

Posted

hi MB

'fraid I missed that, but sounds another plus - tks

Posted
I think they just do the summary to save themselves the effort of going into too much detail within the forecast itself. Nothing like an easy life for the forecast team!!!

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is a pretty silly comment and very unfair to professional forecasters.

Posted
Thunderstorm graphics seem to be depicted by luminous green blobs at the moment. :)  

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Microburst.

Was watching CNN yesterday, and compared to that, I think they have done a very good job.

Compared to other countries that I have visited, we actually do have quite advanced graphics.

The tweaking that has been done over the last few weeks has been brilliant.

I think a big pat on the back is deserved :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the good thing they're listening.

Now when we got the graphics sorted out we need to bug the beeb about giving them more time to their job.

What do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Yeah, I agree. The forecasts need to be a bit more detailed. (more use of pressure charts etc.) Would they be able to do this though?

Posted
Yeah, I agree. The forecasts need to be a bit more detailed. (more use of pressure charts etc.) Would they be able to do this though?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given the time yes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I agree, after a very shaky start, the graphics have been tweaked sufficiently to make the forecast palatable once again.

The alteration of perspective on the map was a major improvement and it's good to see wind speeds make a return. The synoptic charts need to be used more (they are on the regional forecasts), if this were to happen we'd have a decent forecast; a good mix of meteorology and graphics.

That leaves us with only the time allocation.. but I've been here before.

T.M

Posted

TM and PIT

re below

'That leaves us with only the time allocation.. but I've been here before.'

just read my previous posts on this topic, and long before the BBC graphics thread started. I do wish you luck but short of a row in parliament as someone involved 30 years ago I have not much hope. Hope you are taking notte of this MB!!

in hope;

John

Posted

Theres another saying. Works expands to fill the time available.

Posted
Microburst, is there any point in those summaries at the start of the forecasts as they tell you nothing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The idea of the summary at the beginning is to give a broad headline as to the general weather theme, rather like the Headline sting on the news. As to the point of it - well, it is also there for warnings so I suppose there may be some point.

MB

Posted
I think they just do the summary to save themselves the effort of going into too much detail within the forecast itself. Nothing like an easy life for the forecast team!!!

:rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, not so! Believe me, forecast teams do not have an easy life within the BBC!

MB

Posted
Hi Microburst.

Was watching CNN yesterday, and compared to that, I think they have done a very good job.

Compared to other countries that I have visited, we actually do have quite advanced graphics.

The tweaking that has been done over the last few weeks has been brilliant.

I think a big pat on the back is deserved :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For years the BBC has always been seen as a starchy, regimental institution not willing to listen to critiscism. Well things have changed in the years I have been there and the advancement of the digital age has seen to that. Now it is possible to communicate more effectively by e mail because everyone has a BBC e mail address. If you make friends at work the dividends are evident!! :)

At least persistence and effective communication pays off! (sometimes)

MB

Posted
TM and PIT

re below

'That leaves us with only the time allocation.. but I've been here before.'

just read my previous posts on this topic, and long before the BBC graphics thread started. I do wish you luck but short of a row in parliament as someone involved 30 years ago I have not much hope. Hope you are taking notte of this MB!!

in hope;

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On this subject of 'TIME' again as I am on earlies this week I will try to collar one of the TV schedulers this morning for a definitive answer however but, as I have said on the previous threads about the queries on this subject - it is very, very complex and political with programme makers and editors alike.

MB