Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daisies

Posted
I used to be really fussy and anal about my lawn, but now Mopsy and Flapjack live on it all year round, I don't fertilise it or weedkill it. There's loads of clover, millions of daisies and the odd thistle, but so what? All I do now is scarify it twie a year and not cut it too short...the Cumbrian weather does the rest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They sacked the gardener who does our flat gardens last year and since then it's been left to go kinda wild...

This spring the most amazing flowers have come up including speedwell, michelmas daisies, wild strawberries, king cups, fritillaries, forget me nots, all kinds of grasses and other pretty flowers....

We've also got far more birds including goldfinches, black caps, bullfinches and sparrows along with all the usual suspects...

It looks so nice, and much better than the telly-tubbies lawn that we had before....

I'm gonna be really sad if they employ another gardener.....

Edited by Roo

Posted

Roo - that daisy pic is great :) If we had a formation like that then we'd leave them!

Sas - we don't mow at the far end of the lawn (about 1 metre worth) cause that's where the birds gather to feed :)

Posted
The dogs will eat most things they dig up, voles, mice, shrews etc. but for some reason they wont eat a mole. I wonder if they have something in their fur?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever eaten a mole? :):)

Even gypsies (renowned eaters of hedgehogs, etc) only use them for their pelts.

If you can arrange to get your lawn flooded for three months a year, that should discourage them. :)

Moles don't eat daisies, either. :)

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Thanks for the advice Scribbler. I wont be having Mole Steaks on the BBQ this weekend then. :D

If I can arrange for the lawn to be flooded for 3 months in the year I will certainly have some serious problems, other than moles, to worry about! :)

Posted

:);):)

Hi kar99

If you live down here, the Somerset levels get flooded each winter and all the moles come to visit us - on dry ground.

Might be able to get you a freshish road-kill rabbit for the bbq instead if you like. :D

Posted

Thanks for the offer of the road kill. (I rather like rabbit actually, preferably casseroled.)

Is it true that if you cause the road kill it is illegal for you to pick up the victim i.e. rabbit, pheasant or deer (god forbid) etc. but the car behind you can? Heard that somewhere but not sure if its true or not.

Posted

Hi kar99

Yeah, I’ve heard that too. I think that if it’s a pheasant then yes, it might be illegal 'cos someone has usually reared them, so they do belong to someone.

Rabbits are fair game anywhere I think.

Deer are a different matter – if you’re in a National Park (Exmoor,etc) then I suppose it’s classed as poaching. :)

Last time I hit a pheasant I was doing over 90 and there wasn’t much left of the pheasant or my windscreen.

The only time I hit a deer – the bloody thing smashed my lights; bent the wing and bumper – and then got up and ran away. Cost £300+ to repair. ;)

PS You and I share something – you joined NW on my birthday – wasn’t that nice of you. :D