Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Number Of Days Washed Out For Test Matches In Engl

Posted

Since it is the first day of the new Test Cricket season in England, here are previous years and the number of days that were washed out during those Test seasons.

2004: 1 2003: 1 2002: 1 2001: 0 2000: 1 1999: 0 1998: 1 1997: 1

1996: 0 1995: 0 1994: 0 1993: 0 1992: 2 1991: 1 1990: 0 1989: 0

1988: 0 1987: 4 1986: 0 1985: 0 1984: 0 1983: 0 1982: 1 1981: 0

1980: 4 1979: 2 1978: 3 1977: 1 1976: 1 1975: 0 1974: 3 1973: 0

1972: 0 1971: 3 1969: 0 1968: 1 1967: 1 1966: 0 1965: 0 1964: 4

1963: 0 1962: 1 1961: 0 1960: 2 1959: 0 1958: 4 1957: 0 1956: 3

1955: 0 1954: 7 1953: 0 1952: 2 1951: 2 1950: 0 1949: 0 1948: 1

1947: 0 1946: 1 1939: 0 1938: 4 1937: 0 1936: 0 1935: 1 1934: 0

1933: 0 1932: 0 1931: 2 1930: 2 1929: 0 1928: 0 1926: 2 1924: 2

1921: 1 1912: 2 1909: 0 1907: 0 1905: 1 1902: 2 1899: 1 1896: 0

1893: 0 1890: 3 1888: 0 1886: 0 1884: 1 1880: 0

Test Grounds total

Old Trafford: 29 days washed out.

Lord's: 18 days washed out.

The Oval: 14 days washed out.

Headingley: 12 days washed out.

Trent Bridge: 10 days washed out.

Edgbaston: 2 days washed out.

Posted

Real surprise that a day's play was lost because of rain in 1976.

That was the Saturday at the Lord's Test match Eng v WI. This was just before the great heatwave struck during the last week of June 1976.

Another surprise is that no days were lost during the poor summer of 1985.

Posted

Hi Mr Data I wonder which test playing country has the worst

record! for days washed out! I would think England must be the favourite

place for wash outs! With maybe Australia the least!

Regards Don :)

• 1 month later...
Posted

I assume that these figures relate only to whole days lost?

Did the worst year (1954) coincide with an extremely wet summer or just bad luck?

Also, no suprise that Old Trafford came out wettest! Seems to rain whenever I go to Manchester!

Posted
I assume that these figures relate only to whole days lost?

Did the worst year (1954) coincide with an extremely wet summer or just bad luck? 

Also, no suprise that Old Trafford came out wettest!  Seems to rain whenever I go to Manchester!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep Harriett, there refer to whole days lost.

1954 was a very poor summer but there is an element of luck. 1985 was a wet summer but no days were lost and yet 1976 was an extremely dry summer and a day was lost!

Manchester is unlucky, it certainly not the wettest city in the UK.

Posted

Only just found this thread, fascinating stats Mr Data :)

Look at Edgbaston, only 2 days washed out - that's amazing!! Bet it'll rain there later when Somerset play a 20/20 match though :unsure: .

Posted
Only just found this thread, fascinating stats Mr Data :)

Look at Edgbaston, only 2 days washed out - that's amazing!! Bet it'll rain there later when Somerset play a 20/20 match though :unsure: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Edgbaston's first test wasn't until 1961 (I think).

Posted
1976 was an extremely dry summer and a day was lost!

Manchester is unlucky, it certainly not the wettest city in the UK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1976 Lord's test, 3rd day saturday the whole day was lost. Unfortunate really because Windies ended the 5th 241-6 needing 323 to win. I remember Lloyd trying to plead with Greig to end the match in the final half hour.

But Manchester is the wettest city where Test cricket is played in England. Yet another reason why Old Trafford should be dropped - the ground (like Headingley) is a dump. It's only chosen to placate northerners.

Posted
But Manchester is the wettest city where Test cricket is played in England. Yet another reason why Old Trafford should be dropped - the ground (like Headingley) is a dump. It's only chosen to placate northerners.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, hopefully once the pitch at Hampshire has bedded in properly and is able to withstand the strain of 5 day cricket we should have a few more options.

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Headingley had 3 disastrous consecutive years 1978, 1979 and 1980 that was wrecked by the weather. Then of course came Headingley 1981 :unsure:

I hate to say this Nick but I think your attitude "It's only chosen to placate northerners" stinks.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
1976 Lord's test, 3rd day saturday the whole day was lost. Unfortunate really because Windies ended the 5th 241-6 needing 323 to win. I remember Lloyd trying to plead with Greig to end the match in the final half hour.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PLacate northerners...well we have a beautiful ground at Durhams Riverside :)

So what you are saying Nick is No tests should be played north of Watford!!

As Mr Data says your attitude stinks :unsure:

Regards: DON

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure is and besides you can keep the visiting teams awake all night by getting them to stay at the haunted Lumley Castle devil.gif

Remember a day night Totesport match last August covered by Sky between Durham and Hampshire? Seeing the mists and low cloud descending around the castle in the evening gave me a chill down the spine shock.gif Even Ian Botham was spooked :unsure:

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
Sure is and besides you can keep the visiting teams awake all night  by getting them to stay at the haunted Lumley Castle devil.gif

Remember a day night Totesport match last August covered by Sky between Durham and Hampshire? Seeing the mists and low cloud descending around the castle in the evening gave me a chill down the spine shock.gif  Even Ian Botham was spooked  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:):) Brill..Just wish the Aussies had to play a test at the Riverside! stick them in Lumley Castle for FIVE days....and Nights :lol: :lol:

Posted

So what you are saying Nick is No tests should be played north of Watford!!

As Mr Data says your attitude stinks :unsure:

Regards: DON

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Trent Bridge is north of Watford and it's the most pleasant Test ground in England. Edgbaston isn't too bad.

I just can't see how anyone could disagree with the proposition that Headingley and Old Trafford are s***holes, that's why I think they're placating northerners. headingley is such a dump they haven't even got an Ashes test this year; old trafford didn't have one last year. hopefully they'll phase them out over time.

EDIT: I agree Riverside is nice, they should probably play Tests there when capacity is bigger. RoseBowl in Hampshire is horrible, Harriet! Taunton's nice too but probably too small.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
RoseBowl in Hampshire is horrible, Harriet! Taunton's nice too but probably too small.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, never been to the Rosebowl but based my post on the fact they held the 20/20 game there, as well as a few other one day games.

Agree with Taunton, but as you said probably too small.

Mr. Data - is there any info on the total time lost due to rain in England? A difficult one to calculate I expect, but it would be interesting.

Posted

Mr. Data - is there any info on the total time lost due to rain in England? A difficult one to calculate I expect, but it would be interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Difficult.

I can tell you that in those 3 Headingley Tests of 1978, 1979 and 1980 that 19 hours and 28 mins was lost in 1978, 17 hours and 54 minutes in 1979 and 14 hours and 7 minutes was lost in 1980.

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's 2 days in 44 years then - not bad LOL.

Taunton is far too small for a test match, but I'm very surprised that England haven't played a one dayer there. The highest one day aggregate score came at Taunton between India v Sri Lanka in the 1999 world cup!

Speaking of Lumley castle, did people see when Goughie took the mick out of the Aussie guy Watson about being spooked :unsure: !!

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first Test played at Edgbaston was in 1902 against Australia. Rain ruined England's chances after they dismissed Australia for 36 :unsure: England declared on 376 for 9. Wilfred Rhodes was in the England side and got 17 for 7 with his spinners.

The next Test match at Edgbaston was in 1909. England won by 10 wickets against the Aussies. Wilfred Rhodes was in the side but only bowled 1 over.

After that it was until 1961.

Posted
Oh, never been to the Rosebowl but based my post on the fact they held the 20/20 game there, as well as a few other one day games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Harriet,

roseBowl also has non-existent public transport around it :unsure:

Posted
Difficult.

I can tell you that in those 3 Headingley Tests of 1978, 1979 and 1980 that 19 hours and 28 mins was lost in 1978, 17 hours and 54 minutes in 1979 and 14 hours and 7 minutes was lost in 1980.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol - I can also tell you that on the 1st day of that 1979 match, rain stopped play at 2.50pm and was abandoned at 5.30pm. 2nd and 3rd days washed out completely, play being abandoned at 2.00pm and 2.20pm respectively, rain stopped play on the 4th day at 3.38pm (abandoned 6.00pm). Full day's play on the last day :unsure:

Oh and Ian Botham scored 99 before lunch on the 4th day

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it's possible because records aren't available for every match, particularly the earlier ones. I have scored every Test in England since 1972 (sad I know), I could work out how many minutes were lost each year since then, would take a long time.

Another thing - total time lost solely to rain? Or bad light? Or fusarium oxysporon (as at headingley 1972) :unsure: Or pitch invasions (Oval 1976 when Holding ripped out Greig's middle stump B) )?

Edited by Nick H

Posted
Difficult.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The final day at Headingley in the 3rd Test against Australia was lost in 1975 but not to the weather it was due to some plonkers digging up the pitch and pouring oil on it in protest over somebody in jail! :unsure:

Posted
The final day at Headingley  in the 3rd Test against Australia was lost in 1975 but not to the weather it was due to some plonkers digging up the pitch and pouring oil on it in protest over somebody in jail!  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That somebody was George Davis, a 34-year-old London cab driver, who was serving a 17 year jail sentence for his part in a robbery where a policeman was shot.

The protest had been stepped up that year - slogans at the Central Criminal Court, sit-down protests, march to Downing Street, chained campaigners to Monument, demonstrations on the dome of St Paul's, naked displays at an East London boating lake B)

Peter Chappell was given an 18 month jails entence in Jan 1976 for vandalising the pitch with oil.

The Home Sec released Davis in May 1976. He was back in jail in july 1978 for an armed robbery in september 1977, sentenced to 15 years., reduced to 11 years on guilty plea. In jan 1987, soon after his release, he was convicted for attempting to rob a mail train. He was sentenced to 18 months again, pleading guilty again. Some guy! B)

Edited by Nick H