Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Small Twister In Caithness

Posted

Cheers, I know I used it a while back to add a funnel cloud report but had problems finding the webpage again.

All these reports recently are putting my waterspout photo to shame, great photos though.

Posted

ok back from a drive around, think i may have some pics of damage by working out various angles where people took pics from so i think i know where it was, basically loch calder. will post the pics when they are emailed to me.

just tried filling in that torro form, when i clicked on proceed to next page i got this ;

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression ''i didn't take pictures personally but i have several on my website from different people. went for a drive today (24/5/05) looking for eveidence of damage'.

/reports/db.asp, line 13

Posted

That's odd, sounds like it's not seperating the punctuation out as text properly or something. Would you mind giving it another go without the () and / please Paula. If that doesn't work I'll get on to Stu when he gets back from the US and just post the things you've discovered manually to the TORRO forum.

Thanks for taking a drive out to find out more. :lol: I take it there were no buildings in the way of the tornado?

Posted
That's in the pipeline Andy... I take it you missed our recent discussions on the subject!  :)   :)   ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a very defective brain. And/or I wasn't paying attention :lol: :p

Posted

hi sam,

no there where no buildings.... or non that you could tell any difference of :)

still waiting for the pic of those damaged and downed trees to come through to me though, they have been felled in different directions, not all the sae like normal storm damage up here. will go try that link again then.

ok, that link is a non starter :lol:

if you wanna ring, my mobile is

07869 231 723

Edited by tugmistress

Posted

Hmmm, the report tool was working yesterday. I can't remember having any problems with ( or ) before on the last bit.

Posted

ok just received the piccies i was on about.... if i do this right and you can see the pic... does this look like tornado damage?

Edited by tugmistress

Posted
hi sam,

no there where no buildings.... or non that you could tell any difference of :lol:

still waiting for the pic of those damaged and downed trees to come through to me though, they have been felled in different directions, not all the sae like normal storm damage up here. will go try that link again then.

It sounds like we've got it covered int his thread actually Paula... I'll pass the details you've given on. What would be handy is if we could get permission from the owners of the various photos to add them to the TORRO gallery, only for research/display purposes. Fully credited of course and the owner retains the copywrite. Any chance you could send the addresses of the folks you got photos from and pass them on to me at sam@jowett.torro.org.uk please? :)

Posted

i will do that tonight sam :lol:

i can't see a problem with it though :p

SAM<

your email addy bounced back so i have pm'd you the details :)

Edited by tugmistress

Posted
i will do that tonight sam :)

i can't see a problem with it though :p

SAM<

your email addy bounced back so i have pm'd you the details ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoops, lol... sam.jowett@torro.org.uk... getting my .'s and @'s mixed up! :lol: :)

Posted
ok just received the piccies i was on about.... if i do this right and you can see the pic... does this look like tornado damage?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the pm Paula, I missed the images first time round! :)

That looks like pretty impressive damage! I assume the tornado moved from left to right through this location? If so, it looks like the left hand side of the tornado did very little damage with almost all the tree felling being similar to the direction of the motion of the tornado. If you think how the winds rotate within a tornado, in an anticlockwise direction (99% of the time anyway!), the forward speed can be added to the rotational speed on the right of the motion and subtracted on the left... hence all the felling occurred on the right of the vortex.

Those trees would act like sails with being so dense, but even so we must be looking at something like a T2/T3 with winds of around 90mph I would think. Would those trees have been exposed to the storm force winds you get there every winter?

The T-Scale can be found at http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/severeweather/tscale.php

Posted

hi sam,

i do not know for sure if those trees are the result of the tornado, but by taking some compass readings of where a couple of the photographs were taken, and producing a straight line on an ordnance survey map, it is certainly within a few hundred yards or less of possible course? mind you, you will tell me that they don't go in straight lines now <_<

i can go back out there tomorrow and take some wellies with me to get a closer look and take some more pics to send to you if you like? i will also send you an email shortly.

Those particular trees are facing almost due south, so unless we have had some serious southerly winds ( i don't think so but you will know where to check i'm sure) i don't think they will have taken too much of a battering as most of our serious wind up here is usually westerly.

Posted

Well they certainlt don't have to go in straigt lines, no :) , but their average route is usually pretty straight because they're following the parent cloud.

If you don't mind taking a closer look, that would be great. You should be able to tell on closer inspection whether or not the damage is fresh. Do you know the rough direction the tornado was travelling in as that ought to tell us whether or not it was likely to be able to align the trees into a southerly alignment. A photo looking straight up the damage path might be useful too as it will show how the trees are aligned to the assumed path. It should be clear if it's tornadic damage simply because straight line winds don't leave a straight path...

Could be worth printing out a map of the location from http://www.multimap.com/ too so that you can plot where it looks like the damage started and ended if it's accessable.

Thanks for all your help with this Paula... you're doing a great job! <_<

Posted
Sam is it easy 2 become a member of torro?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is yes, but you have to be prepared to part with a bit of dosh... around £40 a year as I recall, but you do get things like the Journal of Meteorology thrown in as part of the package. You can request an application form online at http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/join/membersh.php if you're interested. <_<