Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How To Post Images

Posted

Hi does anyone know how to upload a pic...but keep its size.When I upload my pics they are always small....Dazza posted some pics the other day on positioning.He managed to keep his pics blown up without shrinkage..any help would be appreciated

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Lol, if ever the phrase "try reading the help files before posting" ever rang true it is now. You're posting into the tutorial thread for posting images, have a read through it and the 2 methods of posting up images will be revealed B)

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

Further to Dogs32's plight I thought that a brief explanation as to why some photo's are shown at a reduced size and why other images are shown at their full size, may help (correct me if i'm wrong anywhere within this guide Paul).

There are 2 angles that need to be looked at here and these angles are 'Uploaded' and 'Linked'.

If you 'Upload' an image from your PC directly into your post the NW Server has to work purely on its own to bring your photo(s) forward. Owing to the potential drain on Server resources for such practices, once your image is over a certain size there is a trigger in the coding behind the Forum which will reduce the image to a thumbnail to cut back on Server usage resources, which is why you will see it a reduced size and it will only enlarge when you click on it.

As an example of the potential risk of resource overload, (taking into account if the NW server showed images at their full size for 'Uploaded' pictures directly into any post of the forum), if you 'Uploaded' 20 images into a post and there were 500 members viewing that post at the same time, the amount of resources that the NW server would have to provide to bring those images forward in full size to all 500 users at the same time would be enormous (simply times 500 by the number of photos by the size (k or MB) of the photo). As a result it would likely slow the server to a halt and may even bring it down completely (hence the reason thumbnails are a better alternative, you still see the image and everyone else can still carry on browsing and adding to the rest of the Forum).

However, if you 'Link' to an external photo the NW server has to do far less work as it is the Server that the images are hosted on that are doing all the work.

If you 'Link' to it and it is hosted externally then the image will retain it's original size.

If you want to host your pics externally you have all the usual options such as Photobucket, My Space, FaceBook and all the others but there are some other free ones which don't require registration and are very simple to use. Some of these sites are: Imageshack.com, Imagehosting.com, Picoodle.com, Allyoucanupload.com etc.

Please use this information in addition to the great tips and guides that make up this thread and you can't really go wrong.

Have fun.

Dazza

Posted

Would you like to swallow a camera?

Posted

Well I was actually think more in the way of my Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Lense.

Posted

:lol:

• 1 month later...
Posted

Hi All, I have been using the attachments folder for some images I have posted, and would like to reuse the odd image saved as an attachment in another post. Is there an easy way to do this?

I can link to the thumbnail

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/uploads/mon...26913_thumb.jpg

and show the thumbnail without its frame

post-7302-1192026913_thumb.jpg

I can link to the image

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?a...st&id=46770

but since this is a PHP script, putting image tags around the above is illegal

I can link to the post

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...t&p=1075844

but I can't simply show the attachment

what am I missing?

Thanks,

Chris

Posted

I've always wondered that too Chris - well explained.

Karl?!! Paul?!!

Posted

Unofortunately I don't think there is a way to do that, best thing to do is upload the images you want to re-use to a personal gallery on here and then dsplay them from there.

Posted
Interesting one.. Paul has the best idea as the gallery has unlimited uploads.

Thanks to all. It's a pity that the attachments feature is not globally available on the forum, so the gallery seems to be the next best option. It would also be useful to display other poster's images at times on other threads. Ho hum. I'll see about transferring/copying stuff across.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Chris Knight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi folks, could someone help me ,for instance to post an image or say a something from the models?? Ive tried, but with no success! :cold:;):shok:

Posted

Not sure if you've read through this?

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=16419

I know the images aren't there but is is fairly easy to follow..

If you're still struggling give me a PM.. ;)

Posted
Not sure if you've read through this?

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=16419

I know the images aren't there but is is fairly easy to follow..

If you're still struggling give me a PM.. :)

Thanks mate, i will give it a try, if not I will post you! :good:

Posted
Hi folks, could someone help me ,for instance to post an image or say a something from the models?? Ive tried, but with no success! :good: :lol: :)

Hi ANYWEATHER

I shall try and simplify this for you, if I may :lol:

First of all when you have your desired image that you wish to post, place your arrow on the image and then

right click on your mouse button, select "save picture as" from the list, and choose a folder where you want to save

your Image, such as my pictures. When you make your post, just simply click add reply and you will see a

browse button in the bottom right corner, find the folder where you have saved your picture, which in this

case is my pictures, double click on the image and then click upload. You will then see that your file has been added

to the current attachments section in the bottom right, click on the image that you wish to add, and it should

appear on your post.

If this dosen't work contact Potty :doh:

Brian

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted

Hi gmg and many thanks, been busy up to now and this evening but soon as ive got a few minutes I will follow your advice. best wishes AW.