Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How To Post Images

Posted

I have been apart of this forum for some time now and I regularly post images and photos.

Many people have approached me about how to post images on to the forum. This is fine I like to see your images so am only happy to spend some time in explaining how to go about it. I thought it would be a good idea to post a tutorial on How to post images.

I have thought about this and have decided that I would create the tutorial as PDF so you can down load it and print it off on your own printer so they you can have it on your desk for reference.

Today I shall go through the easiest way of posting your images up on the forum, if this is a success I shall then go onto explaining another more difficult way and then how to link to images on other web pages.

Ok here we go

How to post Images (Basic)

Firstly we need to ether decide whether we are replying to a topic or creating a new topic, depending on what we are doing you we need to click one of the following buttons “AddReply” or “NewTopic.

On clicking on one of those buttons we are taken to a new page, although they are slightly different, for the purpose for posting an image they are exactly the same and I will be adding a reply.

tut12nl.jpg

Ok so now we need to scroll down this page to get to the area that we are interested in.

tut22rp.jpg

Ok we have scrolled down and have arrived at an area called “File Attachments” this is what we are interested in and I have shaded the area in red.

Before I go on we need to be aware that we have to have our picture saved some where on our computer and we need to know where it is and how to get there. Only you know where you have saved your images, I can not help you find them.

The forum will only except images saved in certain file types but most cameras take the photos in jpg format so we do not have a problem but if you camera takes photos in RAW format you need to convert these to jpg. STOP don’t panic it is only high end cameras that take photos in raw so it should not be a problem.

Now we need to click on the “Browse” button

tut33ei.jpg

Now we get the “Chose File” box pop up.

tut47bv.jpg

This is the part were I can not help you; you need to locate your image you want to post using this box. Just a clue, you need to have the file name of the file that holds your photos in the box where it says “Look in:”

Now chose your image that you wish to post and click on it to highlight it. This will put the image name in “File Name” box at the bottom of the pop up.

tut51vn.jpg

Now click open, closing the pop up box.

This has now but the file name here.

tut66sm.jpg

Now you need to click on the “Add This Attachment” button here.

tut78yf.jpg

Congratulations you have just attached an image to your post.

tut86in.jpg

As you can see you can now add another image if you wish.

Now write your post as you normally would and post.

With luck you will have successfully posted an image.

tut96kg.jpg

How to Post Images (a little more advanced)

In this tutorial we will use some of the things we learnt in the basic tutorial to post an image to Net Weathers gallery. Then we will advance to, how to link an image in the gallery to appear in the forum without the thumbnail view.

Firstly we need to go to the gallery area and choose a category in which we want to add our image. I have chosen the “cloud images” area for the purpose of this tutorial.

Click on the “New Image” button that I have highlighted in the top right corner.

ad18hp.jpg

This will take you to a new window. In this window you can add a Caption to your image and there is also an area to make notes.

ad23qn.jpg

Once again we want to click on the “Browse” button, this will bring up the “Choose File” pop up box exactly the same as in the basic tutorial.

Now we need to find where our image is saved and select it, like we did before.

ad33pm.jpg

And click “Open”, this has now added the location of our image to be uploaded. We can now click the post image button.

ad49vc.jpg

After a couple of seconds the window will automatically go back to the gallery window and we will see our image as a thumbnail in the top left hand box. If we now double click on this thumbnail we go to a new page showing our full sized image.

Now we get to the bit that we are interested in, linking the image to the forum and your post. At this point I will point out that the image dose not have to be from the N-W gallery, it can be any image found anywhere on the net.

Ok let’s get started.

With your mouse pointed over our image, click the right mouse button revealing the grey options box.

ad51xu.jpg

Click on the “Properties” button at the bottom of the grey box. This will bring up another grey box called “Properties”.

Look down this box and you will see a web address for where the image is located on the net called “Address: ” with your mouse highlight this address like so.

ad62ho.jpg

Now with the right mouse button we click in this highlighted area and then click “Copy”. Ok we have finished with this box now so can close it by clicking “OK”.

Now we go to the forum, to where we want to post our image and open our post writing page but this time we click on the “IMG” button.

ad73th.jpg

This brings up the “Explorer User Box”

ad87gd.jpg

Now we right click in the box where the highlighted http:// is and click “Paste”. This enters the copied URL of our image to this box.

ad93st.jpg

We now click “OK” to create a link to the image in the gallery and we write our post and click “Add Reply”

ad103vg.jpg

Congratulations you have successfully completed another tutorial.

Well done.

I have now saved both tutorials as one PDF file so if you want a copy PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Posted

hi Adi

you never know, evenI, MIGHT be able to follow this; thanks

John

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

A great help Adi. never been too certain when it comes to attaching a picture as a thumbnail - will give it a try when I get a digital camera.

Posted

hi Adi

I knew it was too good to be true. When I got it printed the last few worda all the way down the right side do not print??

So what have I done wrong please?

John

Guest Sir Seany
cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember, were not at home to Mr Cock Up :)

Very nice tutorial there Adi, not that i need it, but i will give some advice, if like the satellite images i sometimes post it is an exceptionally big file you are attatching, wait a few minutes until you get taken back to the reply page and the file appearing like in the last but least image which Adi has posted, then of course press add this attatchment and your away! Some photos get broken while being uploaded my attatchment because people DO NOT WAIT! Patience is a virtue, even if it takes ten minutes to load up be patient and wait :)

Sean :)

Posted

Thanks everyone for you comments; next I will do a tutorial on how to post an image using a link so you get an image without a thumbnail. So then you can upload your images into to the N-W gallery and link them to the forum.

Guest Sir Seany
Thanks everyone for you comments; next I will do a tutorial on how to post an image using a link so you get an image without a thumbnail. So then you can upload your images into to the N-W gallery and link them to the forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking of doing that one later :) I still have the record for most images on any one gallery taken by one person :) Including the crap you cant see in my private ones!

Edit: Like oversuperflous crap like, lady penelope standing next to a big glass of wine that sort of thing :)

Sean :)

Edited by Sir Seany

Posted

I have turned this tutorial in to a PDF file so if anyone would like a copy please pm me your Email address and I will send it to you.

The file size of the PDF is 516kb so it’s not too big.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Thanks for these tutorials Adi, they're very helpful as you can point people to these threads. :)

I'm sure a moderator will move it into the annoucements section for everybody to see.

Posted

Fair comment Tim how about merging the two tutorials together so they are one

Edited by Adi Fiddler

Posted

Thats done.

How to post images in Firefox:

Right click image and select, "Copy Image Location"

post-131-1115581922.jpg

Then insert in to your post with IMG tags around it.

The BBCode plugin makes this even easier, as you need only select, "Clipboard > Image"

post-131-1115582061.jpg

:p

Posted

Thanks Tim

And that saves me doing one for Firefox cheers :p

Can anyone talk me through in dumb - heads terms on how to have a picture underneath my name on the message boards.

What does enter url mean?

No laughing this is all very new to me.

say if i wanted my football teams badge for instance , how would i go about doing it.

any info much appreciated.

Posted

Go to the "My Controls" link at the top right of the page, then go to "Edit Avatar Settings" which is in the left hand corner under "Personal Profile".

You then get some controls with various options.

The rest is pretty self explanatory really.

Just bang the link to an image in the url box.

It is the same with your signature, just go to "Edit Signature" instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Hi I can post an image ok, but it's massive. How can I post a smaller version that does not take up so much space(448.82k).

I only have a max of 650k as well, with that one post it only leaves me with 200k. Not enough for another pic.

Many thanx Steve