Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Need Help On The Site/forum?

This has no doubt been discussed previously but I'm suddenly getting ads popping up in the middle of the page with a little message at the top saying a web page is slowing down your browser what do you want to do? Very annoying So I would grateful if someone could indicate how I get rid of it. Thanks

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a rather daft and not very nice comment about a member who posted a good deal of useful info into the site, re volcanoes and also the weather in Shetland. give him my regards please?

was getting a hard time off people with his volcano thread. wasn't appreciated enough for the hard work he put into the forum.

Not the best place to add this i know paul, but i would just like to say i think this new thread in the model area is going to be great and help those who want to know what's going on fast 9if like me

Posted Images

TWITTER PROBLEM

The intermittent problem with posted tweets not displaying pics & tweets (just text) is still occurring. This morning I tried using MS Edge instead of my usual Firefox browser, but this made no difference. I have tried all the helpful suggestions made by @Summer Sun with the exception of clearing cookies (which I'm reluctant to do).

The fact that this problem is occurring with another member @Bring Back1962-63 who uses two other browsers (Chrome and Internet Explorer) suggests to me that this either a Twitter or Netweather problem.

Any comments please Support Team? Many thanks.

1 hour ago, knocker said:

This has no doubt been discussed previously but I'm suddenly getting ads popping up in the middle of the page with a little message at the top saying a web page is slowing down your browser what do you want to do? Very annoying So I would grateful if someone could indicate how I get rid of it. Thanks

This issue may be browser related?  For me, it occurs when using Firefox and in particular when simultaneously I have additional web pages open.  Clicking the “stop it” box to the right of the message seems to sort the immediate situation, although obviously not the cause of it   

The problem never occurs when browsing with Safari.

1 minute ago, ciel said:

This issue may be browser related?  For me, it occurs when using Firefox and in particular when simultaneously I have additional web pages open.  Clicking the “stop it” box to the right of the message seems to sort the immediate situation, although obviously not the cause of it   

The problem never occurs when browsing with Safari.

Yes I was wondering that as I use Firefox and I had a few windows open. I'll shut the rest down and see what happens.

7 minutes ago, knocker said:

Yes I was wondering that as I use Firefox and I had a few windows open. I'll shut the rest down and see what happens.

Malcolm, it might be worth adding an ad-blocker to your browser......here's a link to adding this ad-blocker extension to firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/poper-blocker-pop-up-blocker/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2Y_UBRCGARIsALglqQ3NJrK1RqBblLl9yntMKUDVRXIMErQmqS8ZSqshV5pDYj_AQNstained glass windowEaArukEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

Hmm, bearing in mind it's the ads which pay for lots of free stuff on websites, I'd not necessarily recommend that!

There shouldn't be any ads loading in the middle of the page at all, so it could be something browser related - I'd probably start there by making sure you don't have any un-needed addons etc, and also clear cookies/cache too.

@Blessed Weather - It may be somethingin the embedding process between twitter and the forum, but tbh, I'd always recommend clearing cookies and cache as a first port of call as that sorts 99% of problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

TWITTER PROBLEM

The intermittent problem with posted tweets not displaying pics & tweets (just text) is still occurring. This morning I tried using MS Edge instead of my usual Firefox browser, but this made no difference. I have tried all the helpful suggestions made by @Summer Sun with the exception of clearing cookies (which I'm reluctant to do).

The fact that this problem is occurring with another member @Bring Back1962-63 who uses two other browsers (Chrome and Internet Explorer) suggests to me that this either a Twitter or Netweather problem.

Any comments please Support Team? Many thanks.

You can remove cookies specific to site/s ie just netweather and or twitter

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Paul said:

- It may be somethingin the embedding process between twitter and the forum, but tbh, I'd always recommend clearing cookies and cache as a first port of call as that sorts 99% of problems. 

59 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

You can remove cookies specific to site/s ie just netweather and or twitter

Many thanks both. Well I've just removed all cookies associated with Twitter and Netweather, plus cleared my cache, and still only seeing the text in tweets. :( I guess we're running out of options? It's the intermittent nature of the problem that's weird. Why do the pics/charts appear one minute and gone the next??

Edited by Blessed Weather

Twitter are changing things quite frequently at the moment, so it could be just the embed - for instance, the new longer tweets that are allowed may be a bit big for the embedder right now. I'd think it'll be something that Invision will address in the next update if that's the case. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Many thanks both. Well I've just removed all cookies associated with Twitter and Netweather, plus cleared my cache, and still only seeing the text in tweets. :( I guess we're running out of options? It's the intermittent nature of the problem that's weird. Why do the pics/charts appear one minute and gone the next??

Hi guys, thanks for trying to help with this ongoing problem. As I said above, I have 2 computers, one with windows 7 and one with windows 10. They both have Chrome as their default browsers and Internet Explorer available too. I even tried reloading Firefox and Safari. I've cleared caches, cookies, re-set, rebooted and "all" to no avail. The problem continues, just as Malcolm @Blessed Weather confirms. Sometimes everything is normal. Sometime the tweet appears with the text but no charts and occasionally it is completely blank. This problem first occurred about 2 to 3 weeks ago. Please help with this. David

As above David - it's very likely to be a twitter change somewhere which Invision will have to catch up with. The fact it started happening a few weeks ago points to this too, as the last update on here was back in December. 

The issue earlier wasn't related to the number of people online, there's some sort of a bug in the software currently which is causing a problem when certain tasks run unfortunately. But to answer your question, we run with load balanced, cloud based servers which spin up and down depending on demand.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Paul said:

The issue earlier wasn't related to the number of people online, there's some sort of a bug in the software currently which is causing a problem when certain tasks run unfortunately. But to answer your question, we run with load balanced, cloud based servers which spin up and down depending on demand.

That's a relief! Is the explanation available in English ? :nea:

Is there a pm facility or is the stickynote thing the way to do it? I am technically incompetent and do not understand these things, but want to contact another poster privately (nothing dodgy ? ). How do I go about it please, both sending and receiving? Thank you!

Hi Noggin, you can use the stickies, or you can go to your pm inbox to send a message here:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/messenger/

Just click the 'compose new' button at the top, and a screen will load, similar to an email - so just type in the username of the person you want to send the message to and you can message them :) 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, JeffC said:

That's a relief! Is the explanation available in English ? :nea:

We can add/remove servers based on demand, and have a load balancer, which is a system sat in front of it which shares out all the connections from people to our servers and decides how many servers we need at that moment in time and automatically either adds or removes them as needed :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Paul said:

We can add/remove servers based on demand, and have a load balancer, which is a system sat in front of it which shares out all the connections from people to our servers and decides how many servers we need at that moment in time and automatically either adds or removes them as needed :) 

Thanks, makes more sense to this luddite!