Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Need Help On The Site/forum?

A quick response for you Mapantz

The modern skin is responsive, so doesn't have a mobile version, it's basically designed to load which ever style best fits the screen size it's being displayed on.

We've checked on a couple of tablets and both show the standard desktop.  Mine is a 7" android version.

Can you let me know which tablet you are using please and what resolution it has (if you know), that might help narrow it down.  A lower res screen could be behind the problem.

It's the third tablet i've tried this on, and the same thing occurs. It's not the resolution that's causing the problem, it's the difference in aspect ratios that the site picks up on.

For example, the Acer iconia is 7.9" tablet with an aspect ratio of 4:3 (1024p x 768p) it renders the desktop site.

My LG G Pad 8.3" renders the site in the mobile version, that's down to the aspect ratio being 16:9 (1920p x 1200p) - I've also got a Tesco Hudl 2, that also has a resolution of 1920p x 1200p. Again, that uses a 16:9 aspect ratio.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a rather daft and not very nice comment about a member who posted a good deal of useful info into the site, re volcanoes and also the weather in Shetland. give him my regards please?

was getting a hard time off people with his volcano thread. wasn't appreciated enough for the hard work he put into the forum.

Not the best place to add this i know paul, but i would just like to say i think this new thread in the model area is going to be great and help those who want to know what's going on fast 9if like me

Posted Images

That's odd as I have a Nexus 7 and a Fire HDX, both are widescreen, the Fire is the same resolution as yours 1920x1200 and both of them show the same layout, there isn't a mobile version as such, just dynamic scaling, so on a tablet the statuses go below the forum listings.  Otherwise it's pretty much the same look.

That's odd as I have a Nexus 7 and a Fire HDX, both are widescreen, the Fire is the same resolution as yours 1920x1200 and both of them show the same layout, there isn't a mobile version as such, just dynamic scaling, so on a tablet the statuses go below the forum listings. Otherwise it's pretty much the same look.

How does it look on yours?

post-15177-0-77828500-1424455147_thumb.p

Also, it doesn't fit the screen. There is a gap..

post-15177-0-82834000-1424455203_thumb.p

It centers itself on the screen but I have a scrollbar.

Edited by Mapantz

That's odd as I have a Nexus 7 and a Fire HDX, both are widescreen, the Fire is the same resolution as yours 1920x1200 and both of them show the same layout, there isn't a mobile version as such, just dynamic scaling, so on a tablet the statuses go below the forum listings.  Otherwise it's pretty much the same look.

It seems that both those devices are 16:10 (8:5), not 16:9

If they don't match my screenshot, then the problem lies with aspect ratios on smaller screens. The extra height on those devices (like 4:3) allows the full site to be rendered.

Good afternoon,

A simple question for you which might have been covered elsewhere. Apologies if it has. 

Until a few months ago i was able to see who liked users' posts, but I do not appear to be able to do so any more. All I am able to see now is the number of people who "like" a particular post and also able to add a "like" myself to someone else's post.

Am I doing something incorrect or has policy changed?

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Dave

It looks like this on both devices, I can't make it look like your screenshots so will have to check with one of The techies

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-02-23-10-27-47.png

What about in landscape mode? That's how i use my tablet. I like to be able to see the person who posted last in each sub-forum. But, because the forum reads my tablet as a phone, i get the mobile skin in landscape mode, instead of the full site.

Looks the same, so no last poster names, same as in portrait mode.  It's just how it scales to fit the display, I don't think it's something we can change unfortunately.

I get the full view on my 8 inch tab - eg with the user name etc. 

The forum is getting an update in the next month or so, which'll mean a new skin. 

Looks the same, so no last poster names, same as in portrait mode.  It's just how it scales to fit the display, I don't think it's something we can change unfortunately.

I don't get the problem on a 4:3 device that is 7.9" though? I'm not directing this at you but i think it's wrong that the site renders the mobile skin on a 16:9/16:10 screen, that is smaller than 10.1"

Saying that, why does the old skin render the full site ok? :laugh:

If cookies could be saved for each device, i wouldn't mind. I have to keep changing the theme if i log on to my laptop or phone, then back again if i use the tablet.

I get the full view on my 8 inch tab - eg with the user name etc. 

The forum is getting an update in the next month or so, which'll mean a new skin. 

Can i ask what tablet you're using Paul?

It's a galaxy tab. 

The site literally bases how it renders the screen on the width in pixels - so on the default forum skin anything less than 960px will render as the mobile version. 

It's a galaxy tab. 

The site literally bases how it renders the screen on the width in pixels - so on the default forum skin anything less than 960px will render as the mobile version. 

That's the problem though, the two tablets i have are 1920 x 1200, it seems to me, the problem lies with aspect ratios. 

What is the exact model Paul? As some are 16:10 and some are 4:3. I had 4:3 on my old Acer tablet, that would render the full site, even at 7.9"

That's the problem though, the two tablets i have are 1920 x 1200, it seems to me, the problem lies with aspect ratios. 

What is the exact model Paul? As some are 16:10 and some are 4:3. I had 4:3 on my old Acer tablet, that would render the full site, even at 7.9"

It's a tab 3 - 16:10

That's it then - the browser is reporting itself as being 960px wide. Not sure why it would do that if it's a 1920px screen, but the system can only go on what the tab is reporting. 

That's it then - the browser is reporting itself as being 960px wide. Not sure why it would do that if it's a 1920px screen, but the system can only go on what the tab is reporting. 

If you had a viewport of 1920px on a tablet, you wouldn't be able to read anything- it would be stretched so badly, you'd be zooming in just to read text.

I'd perhaps suggest changing 960 to 959, it may solve that issue?

1920px would be too high, but it is odd that your particular tab drops from 1920px all the way back to 960px, when the tab 3 for example is only 1280px wide and drops to 962px. 

It's not possible to change the breakpoint as that's set to bring the skin into mobile mode at the point it would stop displaying properly in desktop mode I'm afraid. It's just one of those things unfortunately that your tabs screen size matches the breakpoint, and goes into mobile view.

As I say though, we're upgrading soon and the new skin will probably use a different breakpoint. 

1920px would be too high, but it is odd that your particular tab drops from 1920px all the way back to 960px, when the tab 3 for example is only 1280px wide and drops to 962px. 

It's not possible to change the breakpoint as that's set to bring the skin into mobile mode at the point it would stop displaying properly in desktop mode I'm afraid. It's just one of those things unfortunately that your tabs screen size matches the breakpoint, and goes into mobile view.

As I say though, we're upgrading soon and the new skin will probably use a different breakpoint. 

I have three tablets that do the same. It looks as though Ian's do as well. I don't see how lowering it by 1px will break it though? It would give the full desktop to 960px viewpoint devices but still render the mobile site for smaller devices?

The mobile skin doesn't fit properly on the screen on these tablets either, so there is definitely an underlying issue..

post-15177-0-82834000-1424455203_thumb.p

It's not just a case of changing a single setting somewhere in order to change the breakpoints. It's all within the css of the skin and 1px can break things, that's the nature of the beast. This skin / system is relatively old now, and the responsiveness is run by a third party plugin which is why we'll be upgrading soon enough to the latest forum software and a new skin at the same time. 

I'd expect a 7 inch tab to drop into a mobile view in any case currently, just slightly surprising that an hd 8 inch tab has such a low viewport size.

It's not just a case of changing a single setting somewhere in order to change the breakpoints. It's all within the css of the skin and 1px can break things, that's the nature of the beast. This skin / system is relatively old now, and the responsiveness is run by a third party plugin which is why we'll be upgrading soon enough to the latest forum software and a new skin at the same time. 

I'd expect a 7 inch tab to drop into a mobile view in any case currently, just slightly surprising that an hd 8 inch tab has such a low viewport size. .

I realise it's not quite straight forward, mucking about in the css file is always a nightmare. 960p does seem a little high for the breakpoint, because i cannot find any devices that are in the 5 to 6" screen size that have a viewpoint of anything close to 960p. The iPhone 6 is the highest i can find 750p x 1334, with a viewpoint of 667p

It actually has multiple breakpoints, one at 960px which is where the desktop view would stop working as it should, and a couple below that. But either way, we're flogging a dead horse here - there's really nothing that can be done at this point, if we were 12 months from an upgrade I'd certainly say that we'll  look at updating the skin but with literally weeks rather than months until we're planning to upgrade the whole lot it's a case of having to hang on until that point. 

It actually has multiple breakpoints, one at 960px which is where the desktop view would stop working as it should, and a couple below that. But either way, we're flogging a dead horse here - there's really nothing that can be done at this point, if we were 12 months from an upgrade I'd certainly say that we'll  look at updating the skin but with literally weeks rather than months until we're planning to upgrade the whole lot it's a case of having to hang on until that point. 

Ok Paul. I'll look forward to the upgrade. 

Thanks to you and Ian for looking in to it anyway. :)