Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted

Is there a reason why we are currently unable to see who is reading a particular thread? I understand that at busy times this may provoke unnecessary debate, however I find it is useful to know who else is reading the thread especially if I have a specific question.

Ian

Posted

We take it out during the busiest periods, not because of it provoking un-needed debate but because it takes some load off of the server.

Posted

We take it out during the busiest periods, not because of it provoking un-needed debate but because it takes some load off of the server.

OK thanks Paul :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Time to rename the winter forum to spring forum chaps! :)

Posted

At the bottom of each post it used to say who was looking and who was replying, but it doesn't seem to be there any more. Am I seeing things, or has it been taken away?

Posted

Lol, we seem to answer this every day at the moment! The who's browsing the forum/topic functions are switched off during busy times to give the server a breather. :)

Posted

Lol, we seem to answer this every day at the moment! The who's browsing the forum/topic functions are switched off during busy times to give the server a breather. :)

Opps. sorry. I did look a few pages back for the answer before posting but didn't see it. Thanks :)

Posted

I'm guessing this is a known issue but I'll prattle away anyway :D

On the radar, there seems to be issues with the caching of the images. If you view the radar one day and then view it again the next day, you'll sometimes get the current image and you'll sometimes get the cached image from the day before. If you press the refresh button the latest image will show but then when the page auto-refreshes you get the old cached image again. Also if you try to animate you'll get the cached image, even if you've used the refresh button.

Can you send an "content-expires" tag with the page or do something to stop this?

P.S. This has happened on several machines, but they are all XP with IE6 so it could be a browser thing...

P.P.S. Features that would be nice for the next version (IMO)

* Adjustable animation speed, ping-pong option

* Satellite overlay option

* A drag-able tape measure and compass rose so you can measure rate and direction of a feature (I know what I mean but does this make sense?!?)

There are other ideas I've thought of in the past but my mind has gone blank now I've tried to write them down :D

Edited by Evo

Posted

Cheers Evo, funnily enough we're working on the caching issue at the moment. Re your other suggestions, the satellite overlay is a tough one, the satellite we receive at the moment isn't regular enough to do it so it would require sourcing another feed. It's certainly one for the future, but probably not in 2006.

Adjustment of anim speed is certainly something we have looked at and will implement soon I'm sure. Not entirely sure what you mean about the compass, but the tracking of features and even prediction of their possible track is again something we have discussed implementing so again should be able to add that to the feature list soon.

Posted

Cheers Paul. I thought the satellite might be tricky as most of the images are skewed to some extent, and then there's the scaling... What I was thinking of for the compass was to be able to click and drag to make a line and get a distance and bearing reading. What you have in planning sounds better anyway.

Thanks again :D

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Are we being sponsered by Barclays at the moment?

The forum header for n-w.co.uk not n-w.com says "Barclays (Powered by Invision Power Board)"

Posted

Thanks Snowman.. seems to have gone now. :rolleyes:

Edited by kar999

Posted

Are we being sponsered by Barclays at the moment?

The forum header for n-w.co.uk not n-w.com says "Barclays (Powered by Invision Power Board)"

It all makes sense now! :(

Posted

this is a really picky point, but one that would certainly make my time on here and im sure others to, much easier.

i have a ball type mouse and the ball is forever sticking and makes moving between the small boxes on the gfs chart viewer, both fidly and very frustrating.

would it be possible to include a "next" box on the time line, so instead of having to move the cursor to change the frame, you could just leave it on "next" and click away?

cheers :)

Posted

You just have to press ctrl + f5 and your new picture will display, it's uploading but your browser cache is just showing the old one still :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Been scouring around and didn't find out who won the Feb nw-extra competition for the weather station. Has this been annouced yet? Am I missing something obvious?