Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Nothing major but an oddity.

A new thread in General Chat has 2 replies right now but is listed as having 0 views :( . Any reason for this?

The post count function is being updated less frequently, to free up servertime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Here's a possible thought - how about doing on the fly image conversion when people try to post bmp's. Ive seen posts with 4 bmp's attach making around 4mb per page view! Which I'm sure is not what the server needs! I was thinking (and is something I've used before) that you could force bmp's to be converted into jpg's.

Just an idea...

Posted

definitely a thought although bandwidth isn't a major issue for the server - compression might actually be harder work for it.

Posted

Everytime I refresh a page I get taken back to the Homepage and then when I go back into the forum not logged in. It's become a rather big pain for me. Is anyone esle having the same problem as me? :(

When I log in I always tick the box that say 'Remember me'.

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

Here's a possible thought - how about doing on the fly image conversion when people try to post bmp's. Ive seen posts with 4 bmp's attach making around 4mb per page view! Which I'm sure is not what the server needs! I was thinking (and is something I've used before) that you could force bmp's to be converted into jpg's.

Just an idea...

Hi Bottesford, that's quite a good idea. As the member count increases it surely will only be a matter of time before server disk space becomes limited and an issue.

I wondered if there was anyway whether uploaded images could be redirected to a storage server implemented purely for this purpose, this would reduce the load on the main server? (unless this is how things are done already, in which case it would just be a case of increase disk capacity to the existing array).

Just a thought.

Edited by Dazza

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Theres this new feature which I find very annoying.

If I respond to two different posts in succesion and do a quote they get lumped into one post. Very confusing when you editing as well. Can this be stopped.

Posted

currently there is plenty of disk capacity on this server as we do our model processing on an alternate box.

The slowdown yesterday was resolved by tweaking the webserver configuration so hopefully all should be well today

Posted

When i go to the page where i stick in my postcode for a forecast it is still saying last updated 17th december.... has it broke?

Posted

try ctrl + f5 - if that doesn't work look in the address bar - it should say action=

can you let me know roughly what comes after that.

ta

Edited by Karl

Posted

control and f5 made no difference, the whole url is

http://www.net-weather.co.uk/index.cgi?action=uk7day2

Had this bookmarked for ages but just stopped working all of a sudden :D

Edited by tugmistress

Posted

Is that a page you have stored in your favourites? If not can you tell us what link you're clicking to get to it please.

If it is in your favourites, you need to update it to http://www.net-weather.co.uk/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx2 We updated the system a while back to the new address :D

Edited by Paul

Posted

woohoo, thanks paul, didn't realise about the update, i got it bookmarked because i can never find it :D

Edited by tugmistress

Posted

You are all brilliant, thank you and merry christmas to you :D

Posted

Certain guys are trying to log inito Net-Weather with no luck. Any issues your end?