Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted

Actually looking at this, it may be an IE thing, it seems to be quite common in rich text editors of all kinds on this browser. Will see if there is anything that can be sorted with it - it doesn't do it on firefox :doh:

Hi, Paul or any other moderators in the know. I have been unable to access the N-W website, since yesterday afternoon using the networked computers at work. I've tried deleting the N-W cookies which I guess are used to automaticaly log me on to the N-W site, but when I consequently type in net-weather.co.uk/forum in the address bar it still won't access the site - but access to every other site has been no problem. Is there some setting where the computer automatically recognises passwords that needs changing to allow me to gain access to N-W? I've no problem with accessing or loging onto N-W on my home PC which I'm currently using.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Nick, what does it come up with when you try to access n-w?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

It just comes up with this 'page cannot be displayed'.

Posted

That's strange, and that's across the whole site?

When you say you have deleted the net-weather cookies, did you delete all cookies on your pc, as yesterday when I changed the settings the cookies were renamed for a bit, so it's possible there is more than one set from n-w on there.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what the cause of it could be, aside from changing the cookies (and subsequently changing them back again) yesterday, nothing has been changed. I'll look into it though, so please let me know if it carries on/sorts itself out..

Posted

Never deleted cookies before I looked into the problem this morning, but I went to the temporary files and deleted all the N-W cookies I could see - and after doing that I went to the address bar - and the net-weather.co.uk/forum address was still there - so clicked on it and it wouldn't access the site, but I thought it would have automatically have gone anyway from the address bar after deleting the cookies. I don't have to re-boot the computer after deleting cookies do I? It's not the only computer I use - and I can't seem to access N-W on the other two computers.

It could be a securiity issue with the Norton security software that's on the computer, I just can't think what could be the problem other than maybe the settings on the computer which allow your password to be automatically recognised to log you on.

Edited by Nick F

Posted

No, you should have to reboot the pc at all, could it be that your work has put a trusted site system onto their network - a lot of places only allow people to access the BBC and a few other sites?

One thing to try is to delete all cookies, it may do the job. Otherwise potentially it could be some sort of network issue between your work and our server, but that imo is really unlikely. Have you tried accessing through net-weather.com, or netweather.org.uk, it may work on those?

Posted

There's no trusted system in place on the network as N-W is the only site I can't access and all other sites I've wanted to use there's been no issue.

I will try to delete all the cookies tomorrow morning, though I tried it today by clicking on 'delete cookies' and it didn't do anything. I will also try using .com and .org aswell, thanks for the help Paul.

Posted

Good luck with it, please let me know if it works for you. I'll try and find out what I can in the meantime. The more I think about it, the more I think it may actually be a temporary network issue, we shall see though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi Nick,

My two pence worth.

If you have a firewall active then you could stop the firewall temporarily.

The port on which NW is coming in on might be blocked.

It seems strange that you cannot access on more than one computer this to me would point to a network issue.

I would ask your network administrator have they introduced any changes on the network

Regards,

John

Edited by John Cox

Posted

Hi John,

I will look into any security issues that maybe preventing access to NW. But it does seem to be a network issue, but it's strange why N-W became unaccessible since after some of the loging-on problems during yesterday afternoon on N-W - normally when I've entered the N-W website - it has logged me on automatically now Ican't access the site at all. Can't see why it's the only site being blocked when all other sites I regularly use aren't a problem accessing. Will try again at deleting all the cookies tomorrow if I have the patience! Otherwise i'll ask an administator if one exists.

Posted

Hi John,

I will look into any security issues that maybe preventing access to NW. But it does seem to be a network issue, but it's strange why N-W became unaccessible since after some of the loging-on problems during yesterday afternoon on N-W - normally when I've entered the N-W website - it has logged me on automatically now Ican't access the site at all. Can't see why it's the only site being blocked when all other sites I regularly use aren't a problem accessing. Will try again at deleting all the cookies tomorrow if I have the patience! Otherwise i'll ask an administator if one exists.

Hi Nick,

Yes, a strange one. I think the fact that NW was being upgraded was a coincidence in this case.

If it was a program that was giving a problem you could uninstall and reinstall it but there should be nothing stopping you connecting to NW over the internet from you own PC in work other than a network issue, I think. It would be different if you could not access any site but because NW is the only one there is obviously nothing wrong with the Internet setting on the PC.

Even if you could not allow cookies to be installed, this should not be a problem because as far as I am aware the cookies are only uses to store your name and password for automatic log in. Without a cookie you need to key in your name and password each time you try to log on but you are not even getting this far for this option.

I’m afraid I cannot offer any more advice. One thing however that just came to mind, If you have a work colleague you could ask him if you could try to log on to NW on his PC. If you still cant gain access to the site then it is DEFINITELY a network issue.

Hope you get sorted,

Regards,

John

Posted

Thanks for the tips John. Will try to resolve it tomorrow as I'm working from home today. I might try logging on as a diffrent user on the PCs I use at work - see if that helps, or try accessing N-W using net-weather.com/org as I can access N-W that way to start a new cookie. Failing that it could be some more complicated network or security issue to resolve. Hopefully it'll be sorted out otherwise I'll have nothing to do during my hour-long lunch breaks - especially as where I work is in the middle of the countryside!

Posted

Thanks for the tips John. Will try to resolve it tomorrow as I'm working from home today. I might try logging on as a diffrent user on the PCs I use at work - see if that helps, or try accessing N-W using net-weather.com/org as I can access N-W that way to start a new cookie. Failing that it could be some more complicated network or security issue to resolve. Hopefully it'll be sorted out otherwise I'll have nothing to do during my hour-long lunch breaks - especially as where I work is in the middle of the countryside!

Hi Nick,

Maybe with a bit of luck it will have resolved itself.

Another tip and the most obvious one. My children always think I am stupid when I suggest it to them but most times it works.

Turn off and on the computer.

Regards,

John

Posted

You could try deleting all files and history as well, or try typing in the URL in the address bar manually. Sometimes even though you ask for cookie's to be deleted they may keep a select few ,so locate and delete them manually. Look for a directory along the lines of 'Documents and Settings\MyName\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files' and see what is in there and delete cookies manually. I suspect though it may actually be a cached DNS address at your workplace (i.e when you put the URL in it looks in the cache on a computer/proxy server somewhere in your work place for the IP address ,which may be out of date). Try hitting the refresh button maybe that will force the cached item to be refreshed.

I have a slightly different problem myself. It appears to occur when I am attaching multiple pictures to a new topic and someone else is replying to a topic within that thread at the same time, then the screen times out. If you refreash it does eventually load the picture but you end up with numerous copies of the topic started. I think it may be something to do with flood control and timeout settings.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Can someone tell me please how to delete pictures from my gallery. The delete option wants to delete the whole album and when viewing an individual image the delete message button comes up with an error message.

"Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

Thanks.

Edited by kar999

Posted

It works now. Thanks Paul.

I'll free up some space on the server now.

Posted

hi

that changed the pic i can see on my profile but i want to be able to put a pic on my signature that you see everytime i write something in the forum.(under my wording in blue saying "i love scooby!!") i went into edit signature but couldnt put an image in for some reason?? am i thick!?

Posted

To put an image in there you need to link to it from webspace, the quickest way to do that is use the gallery. Upload your image, then right click it and go to properties, copy the address of the image from there.

The in your signature you need to put the following code:

[img]http://theaddressofyourimage[/img]

It will then display :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The UKMO & ECMWF charts in N-W extra don't seem to be working in case you didn't know...

Oh and the NWW3 charts have not updated since mid October

Posted

Thanks for that, the UKMO and ECM charts have been pulled for the next couple of days, but will be back on the site on Monday. The NWW3 was working a couple of days back, so i'll see what's happened there...