Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Same for all users :hi: I wonder if the Mods can see though.... just wondering :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

How does it look.

It looks like this on both devices, I can't make it look like your screenshots so will have to check with one of The techies

post-1056-0-75791000-1424687405_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It looks like this on both devices, I can't make it look like your screenshots so will have to check with one of The techies

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-02-23-10-27-47.png

What about in landscape mode? That's how i use my tablet. I like to be able to see the person who posted last in each sub-forum. But, because the forum reads my tablet as a phone, i get the mobile skin in landscape mode, instead of the full site.

Posted

Looks the same, so no last poster names, same as in portrait mode.  It's just how it scales to fit the display, I don't think it's something we can change unfortunately.

Posted

I get the full view on my 8 inch tab - eg with the user name etc. 

The forum is getting an update in the next month or so, which'll mean a new skin. 

Posted

Looks the same, so no last poster names, same as in portrait mode.  It's just how it scales to fit the display, I don't think it's something we can change unfortunately.

I don't get the problem on a 4:3 device that is 7.9" though? I'm not directing this at you but i think it's wrong that the site renders the mobile skin on a 16:9/16:10 screen, that is smaller than 10.1"

Saying that, why does the old skin render the full site ok? :laugh:

If cookies could be saved for each device, i wouldn't mind. I have to keep changing the theme if i log on to my laptop or phone, then back again if i use the tablet.

I get the full view on my 8 inch tab - eg with the user name etc. 

The forum is getting an update in the next month or so, which'll mean a new skin. 

Can i ask what tablet you're using Paul?

Posted

It's a galaxy tab. 

The site literally bases how it renders the screen on the width in pixels - so on the default forum skin anything less than 960px will render as the mobile version. 

Posted

It's a galaxy tab. 

The site literally bases how it renders the screen on the width in pixels - so on the default forum skin anything less than 960px will render as the mobile version. 

That's the problem though, the two tablets i have are 1920 x 1200, it seems to me, the problem lies with aspect ratios. 

What is the exact model Paul? As some are 16:10 and some are 4:3. I had 4:3 on my old Acer tablet, that would render the full site, even at 7.9"

Posted

That's the problem though, the two tablets i have are 1920 x 1200, it seems to me, the problem lies with aspect ratios. 

What is the exact model Paul? As some are 16:10 and some are 4:3. I had 4:3 on my old Acer tablet, that would render the full site, even at 7.9"

It's a tab 3 - 16:10

Posted

That's it then - the browser is reporting itself as being 960px wide. Not sure why it would do that if it's a 1920px screen, but the system can only go on what the tab is reporting. 

Posted

That's it then - the browser is reporting itself as being 960px wide. Not sure why it would do that if it's a 1920px screen, but the system can only go on what the tab is reporting. 

If you had a viewport of 1920px on a tablet, you wouldn't be able to read anything- it would be stretched so badly, you'd be zooming in just to read text.

I'd perhaps suggest changing 960 to 959, it may solve that issue?

Posted

1920px would be too high, but it is odd that your particular tab drops from 1920px all the way back to 960px, when the tab 3 for example is only 1280px wide and drops to 962px. 

It's not possible to change the breakpoint as that's set to bring the skin into mobile mode at the point it would stop displaying properly in desktop mode I'm afraid. It's just one of those things unfortunately that your tabs screen size matches the breakpoint, and goes into mobile view.

As I say though, we're upgrading soon and the new skin will probably use a different breakpoint. 

Posted

1920px would be too high, but it is odd that your particular tab drops from 1920px all the way back to 960px, when the tab 3 for example is only 1280px wide and drops to 962px. 

It's not possible to change the breakpoint as that's set to bring the skin into mobile mode at the point it would stop displaying properly in desktop mode I'm afraid. It's just one of those things unfortunately that your tabs screen size matches the breakpoint, and goes into mobile view.

As I say though, we're upgrading soon and the new skin will probably use a different breakpoint. 

I have three tablets that do the same. It looks as though Ian's do as well. I don't see how lowering it by 1px will break it though? It would give the full desktop to 960px viewpoint devices but still render the mobile site for smaller devices?

The mobile skin doesn't fit properly on the screen on these tablets either, so there is definitely an underlying issue..

post-15177-0-82834000-1424455203_thumb.p

Posted

It's not just a case of changing a single setting somewhere in order to change the breakpoints. It's all within the css of the skin and 1px can break things, that's the nature of the beast. This skin / system is relatively old now, and the responsiveness is run by a third party plugin which is why we'll be upgrading soon enough to the latest forum software and a new skin at the same time. 

I'd expect a 7 inch tab to drop into a mobile view in any case currently, just slightly surprising that an hd 8 inch tab has such a low viewport size.

Posted

It's not just a case of changing a single setting somewhere in order to change the breakpoints. It's all within the css of the skin and 1px can break things, that's the nature of the beast. This skin / system is relatively old now, and the responsiveness is run by a third party plugin which is why we'll be upgrading soon enough to the latest forum software and a new skin at the same time. 

I'd expect a 7 inch tab to drop into a mobile view in any case currently, just slightly surprising that an hd 8 inch tab has such a low viewport size. .

I realise it's not quite straight forward, mucking about in the css file is always a nightmare. 960p does seem a little high for the breakpoint, because i cannot find any devices that are in the 5 to 6" screen size that have a viewpoint of anything close to 960p. The iPhone 6 is the highest i can find 750p x 1334, with a viewpoint of 667p

Posted

It actually has multiple breakpoints, one at 960px which is where the desktop view would stop working as it should, and a couple below that. But either way, we're flogging a dead horse here - there's really nothing that can be done at this point, if we were 12 months from an upgrade I'd certainly say that we'll  look at updating the skin but with literally weeks rather than months until we're planning to upgrade the whole lot it's a case of having to hang on until that point. 

Posted

It actually has multiple breakpoints, one at 960px which is where the desktop view would stop working as it should, and a couple below that. But either way, we're flogging a dead horse here - there's really nothing that can be done at this point, if we were 12 months from an upgrade I'd certainly say that we'll  look at updating the skin but with literally weeks rather than months until we're planning to upgrade the whole lot it's a case of having to hang on until that point. 

Ok Paul. I'll look forward to the upgrade. 

Thanks to you and Ian for looking in to it anyway. :)

• 1 month later...
Posted

Why is it that the reply box (which I'm obviously using now) behaves differently in Firefox to in IE? Writing this in IE can see all the buttons are operational but I could not edit a post earlier in Firefox though could do with IE. Also, using Firefox the whole post occupies one line, whereas with IE is formats more readably.

Is it to do with my copy of each browser (though I'm pretty sure my Firefox is more up to date than IE - which I dislike) or some inherent behaviour or the set up of NW?

Posted

As far as I am aware the editor is the same in firefox as it is in IE, Chrome etc. I'd suggest clearing the cookies and cache and firefox and seeing if that helps. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

It was probably a spammer, they pop up occasionally, one of the team usually kills them off before the posts get noticed though.

Posted

Checking...

post-1056-0-78547300-1430148880_thumb.jp

All seems to be working ok at the moment, you could try shrinking the pictures down to a more manageable size to see if that helps.  Otherwise I'll ask the techier heads on the team if they have any ideas.

• Like 2