Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted

This is how it works by design currently, as it's part of a security mechanism to ensure only one person can be logged into their account at a time. We are looking at ways to open it up to allow people to stay logged in on a couple of devices but that's not been implemented as yet :)

Posted

Hi Paul,My homepage used to have pictures of TwisterGirl81 frolicking amongst the ferns; now it only holds images of old barometers.Just wondering if this is a bug and whether it can be fixed?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Hi Paul,

My homepage used to have pictures of TwisterGirl81 frolicking amongst the ferns; now it only holds images of old barometers.

Just wondering if this is a bug and whether it can be fixed?

Think we should have a dedicated homepage for that picture (or the very least a universal quick link) Posted Image

Posted

Lol no, not a bug. The top of the forum homepage just shows the latest images uploaded to the gallery, so they'll change quite regularly. 

Thanks Paul. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Hi Paul,

I'd be grateful if you could comment on why 2 images I posted in the Alps Snow thread disappeared a few days later. I pm'd J10 (Julian), and below I've copied-in our discussion which you'll see included a little experiment that Julian tried (which also resulted in charts subsequently disappearing).

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi J10,
Sorry to trouble you, but hoping you can explain why the two GFS charts in my post 205 have been replaced with the text you see when a model is updating, i.e "This chart is currently not available". I think I recall someone in another thread having a similar problem in that the chart they posted kept updating to the latest chart.
If you can possibly help I'd be very grateful.
Thanks
Malcolm (Blessed Weather)
P.S. Really enjoy the Alps thread - many thanks for your weather/snow conditions updates.

Hi Malcolm

The reason for that is that the charts are out of date. Charts are only kept on the Net Weather server for a number of days, and then deleted for memory reasons. So say for instance I put up a charts today showing next weeks weather at the time of writing would be there, but next week it wouldn't be. Ways around this would be saving the charts, as I tend to do when doing forecasts.

However, I am bit confused as to why some show the error message and others update.

But what I'll do now is a test.

1. I'll attach a chart from GFS (NW Free)

http://cdn.nwstatic..../h850t850eu.png - 18Hz today, T+51 850HPa. [should be fixed]

2. I'll attach a chart from GFS (NW Extra)

http://nwstatic.co.u...8ec2f09ccdba3a; - 18Hz today, T+51 850HPa. [should be fixed]

3. Save the file and attach to the post as and save at T+51.

Posted ImageT+51.png

Currently, all 3 images should show, but in a few days, the error message might show. I'll keep checking to see if this happens.

My guess is that the initial image in the Alps thread was from NW Free.

Thanks also for the nice comments about my forecasts.

Julian

Hi Julian,

I checked your charts today and 1 and 2 are no longer showing, so I guess your experiment confirms that charts must be "removed" from the server after a number of days? Shall I put a post in the "help" thread and ask our resident techy, Paul, to comment? The thing that puzzles me is that if you look at some of the old Model threads that have long been locked, the charts that people have posted are all still there, and I suspect the majority were posted by pasting the image URL into the "image" option (which is what I did for my post and is easier than saving an image to your computer first). 

Regards,

Malcolm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

It is as Julian explained, if you embed the charts with a link to the image on the server then they will disappear as the server doesn't save them all owing to space constraints.

If you want the chart to live long after the date it refers to has passed, you need to save the image and upload that to the thread.

Ian

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Anybody?

does the "I have forgotten my password" button not do that?

Have signatures been turned off atm ??

EAGLES!

errr nope :)

Posted

My computer went boom a bit back and lost everything including the password for this site and the email adress passwords as well, any way of getting back in to my old account or do I just stick with this one?

Can you email your old email address and user names etc through the site contact options please?  I'll see if I can recover your old account without contravening data protection rules etc.

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Have been having problems changing pages in the South East thread, which is where I post my weather info, for te last week.  Now can't access it, of in fact any of the regional threads at all.  Any ideas why?  Problem is with both my work and home computers.   

Posted

I'm not aware of any problems which may be causing this (I've not heard any other reports either), what happens when you try to access that part of the forum, does it just hang or do you get some sort of error message?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Have been having problems changing pages in the South East thread, which is where I post my weather info, for te last week.  Now can't access it, of in fact any of the regional threads at all.  Any ideas why?  Problem is with both my work and home computers.   

No problem here. What browser and what version are you using?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

I'm not aware of any problems which may be causing this (I've not heard any other reports either), what happens when you try to access that part of the forum, does it just hang or do you get some sort of error message?

It was just a blank white screen.  No messages.

No problem here. What browser and what version are you using?

After you asked that question I changed my browser to Chrome.  That appears to have done the trick and I can now access and change pages in all the regional threads.   Thank you Gentlemen for both your responses! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Any chance I could remove the annoying adverts popping up, bottom right of homepage, from bottom and right side by clickable threads? and the annoying facebook/twitter ad from top left?

Posted

I'd recommend clearing your browser cache as we don't have the 'interesting item' popup bottom right any more. The slide out on the right is user initiated, so will only slide out if you mouse over the arrow or click it. When you say twitter ad, do you mean the small twitter tweet count at the top?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

IanM.... Good pointPosted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

That's a good idea, then when everyone does the same it'll be the end of free content on the internet - we have to pay for the servers, bandwidth and keeping the whole site running by displaying ads and there are less now than before the site redesign too and we turn down the more intrusive formats, so please don't block them, it helps us keep everything running :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

That's a good idea, then when everyone does the same it'll be the end of free content on the internet - we have to pay for the servers, bandwidth and keeping the whole site running by displaying ads and there are less now than before the site redesign too and we turn down the more intrusive formats, so please don't block them, it helps us keep everything running :-)

Post as now been edited.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Just tried to make a post including an image link from meteociel and it showed the broken link symbol?

when i clicked post anyway i get an error 'You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.'

Are those images banned now?

ignore that lol, ive found out what i did wrong :)

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

It may be worth removing the spaces from the filenames of the photos you're trying to upload. I can't recall it erroring on that before but it's possible.