Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted

The original scale has been retired I'm afraid - when we did our user survey recently we found that very few people were using the original scale so we decided that the resources and processing time would be better spent on other features. Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Oh well but the two left are way too dramatic for gentle rains!

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Not as easy to 'see through' either. Teach me to forget to do the survey I suppose.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

You have the option to adjust the opacity which will help you if you don't find it's transparent enough & the same really applies to the light rain scale - many people want to see the rain clearly even when it's light and this was of the pieces of feedback we took into account when designing the new and traditional scales.

Unfortunately it's hard to please everyone but based on the survey which showed that a low percentage of people were using that scale, and looking at how removing it (as the least used scale) will allow us to add new features & speed up the time it takes to process the radar data, we thought it was a step worth taking Posted Image

Posted

The original scale has been retired I'm afraid - when we did our user survey recently we found that very few people were using the original scale so we decided that the resources and processing time would be better spent on other features. Posted Image

That's a really big shame IMO. I use that scale ans think it's great, It shows all intensities well and the right 'spacing' of colours IMO. The traditional doesn't have much resolution (i.e the rain rate has to double before it even shows in a different colour on the radar!, and no new colours above 32mm/h - where the interesting radar watching in storms is) and the NW new shows things too similar at heavier intensities (all reds and purples, hard to distinguish exactly how heavy the precip is IMO unless you look closely at the scale) Also the lightning detection overlay is easiest to see on that scale setting and as Tony H says it's easier to see the land underneath and therefore exactly where that intense echo in the rain band is.

I'm not even joking that this may be one thing that stops me paying for the NW Extra radar, I mean you can get detailed (1km by 1km) radar on various sites like the Met Office and even NW for free now with scales just as good, and many of the other overlays of data available for it can be found elsewhere. The only difference is 15 minute updates instead of 5 minute.

If it was a thread on the forum about which scale you use I remember posting a detailed post about me preferring that scale and why. I don't really see why it can't be kept really especially as it's a product we pay for, surely it doesn't take up many resources and the accumulation feature is still using the NW Original scale at the moment (but then I probably wouldn't know). Just thought I should post my thoughts that IMO it's quite a shame :(

• Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately it does take up some resources and processing time which can be better used on other things (which are in development now). I personally think that the NW New scale does offer just as much detail and I'd imagine that if you give it some time you'll find you get used to it, but of course it's a personal preference so I hear what you're saying on that front.

When we surveyed all users of the radar, less than 10% of people said they regularly used the nw original scale - it was the first scale option we had and when we introduced it the overwhelming feedback was that it was good at the top end but not at the bottom end. We then introduced the traditional scale which mimmicks the metoffice scale with the nw new scale coming later which by all accounts (and based on the usage of over 80% of users) has the visibility and detail at both ends of the scale. We use the nw new scale on our free radar and I'm yet to see any other radars with anywhere near the level of detail and breadth of scale available.

Obviously we were aware that some people were using the NW Original scale and that they may be disappointed in the change made today but I do believe that the remaining scales are better options (as is born out by the usage figures) and knowing that the speed of updating the radar is important to our users (we've already shaved around a minute off of processing time in the last week with more to come as part of this change), I think it's something that is certainly worthwhile doing. A lot of the features included as part of the radar aren't available elsewhere freely (prec type, nmm overlays, accumulations etc) and we've also got new features in the pipeline which will add further to it Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Pity, it's gone, I like Stormmad26 used the original scale ALL the time, and I'm finding visually the other scales hard to see through lack of contrast. I understand the resourcing, points, but I am now finding I am struggling to see the rainfall maps both on the new and the old radar applications.

The only way I can now view it, is on zoomed mode, understand the need for change just have to rethink my radar usage,

Posted

We're looking at this currently to see if we can find a way to allow the nw-original scale to continue to work beyond retirement age for now :)

• Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately it does take up some resources and processing time which can be better used on other things (which are in development now). I personally think that the NW New scale does offer just as much detail and I'd imagine that if you give it some time you'll find you get used to it, but of course it's a personal preference so I hear what you're saying on that front.

When we surveyed all users of the radar, less than 10% of people said they regularly used the nw original scale - it was the first scale option we had and when we introduced it the overwhelming feedback was that it was good at the top end but not at the bottom end. We then introduced the traditional scale which mimmicks the metoffice scale with the nw new scale coming later which by all accounts (and based on the usage of over 80% of users) has the visibility and detail at both ends of the scale. We use the nw new scale on our free radar and I'm yet to see any other radars with anywhere near the level of detail and breadth of scale available.

Obviously we were aware that some people were using the NW Original scale and that they may be disappointed in the change made today but I do believe that the remaining scales are better options (as is born out by the usage figures) and knowing that the speed of updating the radar is important to our users (we've already shaved around a minute off of processing time in the last week with more to come as part of this change), I think it's something that is certainly worthwhile doing. A lot of the features included as part of the radar aren't available elsewhere freely (prec type, nmm overlays, accumulations etc) and we've also got new features in the pipeline which will add further to it Posted Image

Fair enough, you may be right that with time I get a bit more used to the NW new scale. I am just used to the NW Original scale as well I guess and could easily look at the radar and see the intensity in mm/hr without clicking the 'show scale' button.

I hope I didn't come across too grumpy with my post yesterday though, some things had annoyed me through the day which probably added to me being a bit grumpy/disappointed when I saw it had gone.

I didn't see your point about it speeding up the processing time and allowing you to add new features before I posted last night, but taking that into account maybe it's a good reason for removing the old scale (especially the speed of loading frames as I had a few problems with that) and fair enough if less than 10% use the NW original then it's best to keep the resources for the features that most people like the most. If the survey was not just a thread on this forum I posted in, it was probably something I saw but forgot to actually complete - which is my fault really.

Thought I should mention I doubt I would stop paying for the NW Extra radar based solely on the scale changing as it does have good features, more a combination with me being at uni and having less money/time to look at the radar.

I will find myself trying to click onto the NW Original scale before remembering it's gone for a while though, and did think having a nice choice of scales was a good feature of the radar. To be honest I like all scales in different ways, just seem to have a natural preference for the old scale and I felt showing light and moderate rains as different shades of blue seemed to suit the nature of rain for some reason, if that makes sense.

Of course the best way would be if a way could be found for it to continue running while still making/adding the speed improvements/new features.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

All three scales are now back in operation and we've found some efficiencies in the processing which means we can continue with our planned additions to the service without sacrificing processing speed or anything else.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks Paul (and team) you've made an old man very happy, now I can see again.

or in my case a very old man very happy!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nice to have the option back. Pity it isn't the default any more. I have to switch back and if you click to the see the predicted path it switches back to the new scale. Anyway to stop this from happening.

The old scale was much better as well easier on the eye and certainly much easier to read. I guess some people prefer the new scale as it looks like 900 mm's or 50 meters of snow is arriving when it's only 0.01mm

Posted

You can set the default scale by hitting the save button on the page when you have the scale you want selected - this does set a cookie though...

The future radar is being worked on currently and for the time being at least is reduced to a single scale.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Several times this afternoon I have opened forum pages and had an error message pop up reading ...

... To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors.

I clicked on options and from reading what it means it may be an issue with New Weather's certificate or server?

Posted

I think it may be an ad trying to load securely as none of the forum pages use security certificates - I'll try and find out which advertiser it is :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I appear to be missing the like button on my topic reply. Any ideas? (Except for the obvious one of course!)Posted Image

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

As people can't like their own content (topic or posts) the like button won't show on them, but everyone else has one Posted Image

Posted Image

Thicko thanks you.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Hi,

Trying to update my card details ready for the next recurring NW extra radar payment on 24th November, but Worldpay website not having it. Tried 3 different cards, 2 mastercards, 1 visa debit card - all get same message: "FAILURE:The merchant cannot accept a {0} card for this agreement. Please use another card type." Any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Hi

Over the past few weeks i have an internet explorer message saying about security certificates come up which is annoying but i cross it off.

However on 3 occations now my virgin security has blocked the page in red exclamation?This first happened yesterday,any ideas??

Cheers sam x

3rd time was upon entering chat

Edited by Floatylight