Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted

Will do, a load of this page shows: Exec. Time:

I'll keep an eye on and if I get a bad load, I will post here.

Like now where it took Exec. Time:

Posted

logging into the forum just now from Extra

Exec. Time: 0.7158

Posted

Neither of those two timings are especially out of the ordinary. Majority of the time the page will draw in a few 10ths of a second or less, but around a second is nothing to be concerned about.

Posted

Neither of those two timings are especially out of the ordinary. Majority of the time the page will draw in a few 10ths of a second or less, but around a second is nothing to be concerned about.

I'll keep an eye on it and feedback anything that appears rather long-winded.

I it just me but I find I can no longer reply to a comment by clicking 'quote' but have to go to 'reply to this topic' - the same occurs, or rather nothing occurs when when I click on the 'post' button, or submit after editing.

Also I no longer have the editing tools available at the top.

• 1 month later...
Posted

hi Paul

Would you mind having a look at the 500mb checks I do please? I am unable to open my own pdf file this morning, any of them in fact. The one I issued on my own web site opens no problem. On here the last one No 13 opened fine when I did my usual check after issuing it early this month.

many thanks

John

link

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72606-checking-the-500mb-anomaly-charts-against-the-actual-one/page__pid__2318568__st__20#entry2318568

Posted

have you any ideas what my problem may be then please Paul?

The pdf will open okay in its position in the Net Wx file on my pc-just not on the forum area?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

hi again Paul

Can you help at all please?

I tried downloading the pdf help Cloud 10 suggested but still no joy.

Posted

There's not too much I can offer I'm afraid John as it's working here and for others, and nothing's been changed at this end in recent times. It's probably just worth you clearing your browser cache and cookies to see if that may help.

Posted

There's not too much I can offer I'm afraid John as it's working here and for others, and nothing's been changed at this end in recent times. It's probably just worth you clearing your browser cache and cookies to see if that may help.

the suggestion from cloud 10 seems to work after 2x restarting the pc and I'll do the usual clearing asap to see if that also helps- thanks

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Hi Paul,

I have noticed for some time that the rain radar has different sensitivities for different areas and I guess that this is because there is a series of radars throughout the country which give their own signature which is then amalgamated with the help of some computer wizardry to give an overall picture.

Commonly, it appears that there can be big differences between the joins of one radar showing to another, with a band of rain seeming to weaken when it crosses from one area to another when in reality no such weakening occurs. This is illustrated perfectly today if you look at the 4 hour accumulation totals with there also being two 'shadows' heading out from London towards the south east suggesting less intense rainfall but this is probably an anomaly.

Whilst recognising that this is the best radar available on the net is it possible to iron out some of these discrepancies or are you limited to the data provided by the met office?

Thanks

Ed

Posted

Hi Ed, unfortunately that's not something we're able to control. The Met Office collate the data from the radar network and interpolate it all down to 1km resolution (the network itself provides a mix of 1km, 2km and some 5km), so the portions of the UK with not such good coverage will show some anomalies unfortunately. The solution is the improvement of the radar network which is ongoing but obviously quite a large project!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Thanks for the answer Paul.

I guess with the zoom in facility these anomalies are highlighted - but I would rather have that facility with the anomalies than not at all. It is also possible to recognise where these occur and take it into account when viewing as well.

Edited by chionomaniac

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Hi Paul,

Sent you a pm a few days ago, just wondering if you got it?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Having an issue with the forum and charts since this morning. The forum is only displaying the very basic letters and numbers with no graphics or background and is taking over a minute to load each page.

The rest of the site looks fine but none of the charts will load up. Any ideas? Tried the usual hard refresh no luck

EDIT: Scrap that, seems to be working again!

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I guess this has been discussed ad nauseam before, but what about adding a 'don't like this' button to posts? Then some litlle counter adds up all the pluses and minuses and any that are worse than say -5 gets hidden by default... Just a thought really. Would be interesting to see how many 'likes' this post attracts - I suspect not many!

• Like 1

Posted

It tended to create ructions with people not liking any negative points they got, which then spilled over into threads etc. Personally I quite liked the idea of them particularly as they did allow members to filter posts based on the points on them (pretty much as you describe), but the reality was they didn't work so well out and many on the community didn't enjoy their presence.

• Like 1

Posted

I have problems with the forum layout which nobody else appears to have, I usually use Google Chrome as a browser and have no problems with it and I have tried another browser but get the same problem. All the other parts of the website are fine, its just the forum itself. Am I the only one to have this problem?

I have (hopefully) attached a screenshot if albeit via wordpad but I'm not sure if it works or not.

• Like 1

Posted

We've made some changes to the board tonight, one of which is to use a new address for the layout info etc - I'd guess your isp hasn't updated to be able to find it yet. It may be solved with a router / pc reboot as that should force an update.

• Like 1

Posted

I've rolled the setting back as I think it was fairly widespread - we'll probably go for it again later on tomorrow to give all the isp's a chance to catch up!