Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Can't connect to chat

[#CSTART-0] There was an error connecting with the chat room. Please notify an administrator.

Posted

I've raised the issue with Invision (again). We'll look to change to another chat room system if the unreliability continues.

Cheers Paul, yes it is rather stupid hopefully it won't continue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Can't connect to chat

Same here - Paul, I think the problem might be something to do with the counter for the number of people in the chat room, it never seems to correspond with the number of people actually in there !

Posted

It's not the counter, the chat room connects into servers at invision's hq (everything else on the forum is hosted by us), and when that error shows it's because their servers are either down or not working properly. Last night it was apparently their licencing server, prior to that it was that they were apparently having capacity problems. They tell me all has now been sorted so fingers crossed, but we'll reserve judgement on that for now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'm having problems changing my profile picture - I've tried various photos over the last couple of days (that's why my picture keeps changing in case anyone's wondering) but only a small selection of those I try to upload seem to work. I've tried saving them as bmps, gifs, jpegs, pngs, and a multitude of file sizes (often very small), but to no avail. Every now and again my picture decides to change itself to a previous picture I've used as well. Any help would be gladly received! :)

EDIT: Using Gravatar seems to work so I guess I can just do that. :D

EDIT2: Actually, it has worked on my profile page but nowhere else :(

EDIT3: It has changed now after a 15 minute delay. :)

Sorry for all the smilies ;)

Edited by Alza 2

Posted

The avatars cache both in your browser + on our image servers, so doing a hard refresh (ctrl+f5) will generally show the new one, if not it's worth waiting a few minutes as you've found. It'll also only work for one change per 24 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The avatars cache both in your browser + on our image servers, so doing a hard refresh (ctrl+f5) will generally show the new one, if not it's worth waiting a few minutes as you've found. It'll also only work for one change per 24 hours.

Ty, it seems like the cache on the servers takes around 15 minutes to clear / update. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

for Paul

Hi paul

Can you tell me what may be the problem please when I get this? It only occurs on this site and happens when, usually I try to switch from Community to forum, sometimes form/to other areas of the site

post-847-0-55279800-1330974505_thumb.jpg

post-847-0-43447800-1330974544_thumb.jpg

I have cleared the usual suspects and it is still occurring?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

have downloaded it so I'll see if the problem reccurs-thanks

Posted

just done exactly the same thing again Paul

It had been fine until then?

Posted

and another one this time completely locked up my pc for about 6 minutes, unable to get it to do anything so left it until it sorted itself.

I did manage to get a Prt Scr

see below

post-847-0-67288500-1331148795_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi John,

The computer I use at work has Internet Explorer like yours and it gives me the same message every now and then so I changed over to another browser and all was fine I'm wondering whether you should try Firefox or Google Chrome and see if it occurs on them?

Posted

As WM says, it does look like you're using a pretty old version of ie there which unfortunately is going to be prone to issues. I suspect the problem is an ad it's struggling to load, if you can upgrade at least to the latest version of IE I think you'll find everything runs a lot smoother for you net wise.

Posted

Hi John,

The computer I use at work has Internet Explorer like yours and it gives me the same message every now and then so I changed over to another browser and all was fine I'm wondering whether you should try Firefox or Google Chrome and see if it occurs on them?

thanks for that I'm not over keen on either of them so maybe I'll have to soldier on

As WM says, it does look like you're using a pretty old version of ie there which unfortunately is going to be prone to issues. I suspect the problem is an ad it's struggling to load, if you can upgrade at least to the latest version of IE I think you'll find everything runs a lot smoother for you net wise.

ok Paul I'll see what mine is and if its possible to load a newer version without causing any havoc with my web pages.

Posted

Bear in mind John, that if upgrading to a new version of IE messes up your pages for you, the likelihood is that anyone viewing your pages with the newer browsers will also not be able to view them properly.

Posted

yes thanks Paul its really what is stopping me doing anything-I'll just have to live with it unless the web team can find a way round it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Have spotted this error also , am using IE9 and the home page freezes knocking the computer out for some time.

Netweather.Tv is not responding due to a long running script is the error message that keeps coming up.

Seems sporadic though.?

Posted

interesting to see someone else with a similar problem, mine is IE8 and Lorenzo on IE9, glad I did not do a change to IE9.

Posted

It's a strange one, but the fact that very few people have seen it, and the fact we can't reproduce in any version of IE makes it's hard to diagnose. I'm pretty certain it'll be an ad which isn't loading properly as there really is very little else in terms of scripts loading on the homepage. Just to confirm it is just the homepage you seen this on?

Posted

if its any help Paul - I find if I wait for the various bits to load once I've gone to Community, touch wood, it may be slow sometimes but it has not, so far, got any of the error meassages. Does that sound as if its an ad issue?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yes Paul it was on the home page when the browser crashed. Everything else looks fine, I reckon one of the ads is the source of the crash.

Posted

another massive lock up this morning when moving from community to forum. The only way, after 10 mins of this lock up, was to switch the pc off and power up again.