Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted

I think I can see you James - red jacket?

Do a forced cache clear - ctrl+F5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I think I can see you James - red jacket?

Do a forced cache clear - ctrl+F5

lol I wish :) , that's Matt Bellamy from Muse, I mean the personal pic but will try that anyway.

Posted

Brilliant - I thought you were a rock God for a moment there!

(your profile page is still showing the blue sun thingy)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Brilliant - I thought you were a rock God for a moment there!

(your profile page is still showing the blue sun thingy)

haha :rofl: if only...

Tried deleting the pic and reuploading but still getting the same result. Maybe it's a sign, the computer can't take my ugly mug so just creates errors :)

Posted

We had a server problem earlier which stopped it running unfortunately - it's catching up at the moment starting with the 6z, once that's in we'll update to the 12z shortly afterwards.

Posted

We had a server problem earlier which stopped it running unfortunately - it's catching up at the moment starting with the 6z, once that's in we'll update to the 12z shortly afterwards.

Thanks Paul :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

When i post images on the Mod.Disc.Thread the links do not show on my draft when i click" add image to post".

Obviously this means i can`t add my text around the thumbnails where i want and it means the images always appear at the bottom of my posts.

Can you fathom out why i now have this problem,tks.

Posted

see my other posts in the Iceland volcano thread

Hi Snowcheeks

Many thanks for your help but!

John - try a screen shot ? alt and prtSc together. Then ctrl v to paste into word.

I can copy and paste into word-no problem. The problem occurs when I try to make a copy to paste into, either my web site forecast area via my piccs or the same into Net Wx areas?

I tried what you suggested direct into my piccs and it disappeared off the screen immediately as all other attempts have done.

This morning I spent about 1 hour trying a variety of ways suggested by the pc blike but none worked.

Restart the pc, system restore, into control panel and tick, via system-advanced-performance settings and putting tickes, in the end in all 3 boxes. Previously ticking the IE box had worked for several days. On Thursday morning it worked as I made my new voice over forecast with charts copied in. On Thursday evening trying to do the same for the item about contrails it would not. Nothing had been altered in the meantime. This has been going on off and on for about 2-3 months. Prior to that I never had any problem and with no boxes ticked. Kaspersky found no problems when I used it yesterday. I’ve defragged recently. So am at a loss to know what the problem is or how to cure it. The techie is coming Tuesday to do a quick check but almost certainly to take it away and run more extensive tests to try and find the problem.

Again thanks for your suggestion-anyone else any ideas. I’m copying this into the ‘need help on the site/forum’ in case anyone is able to help there.

cheers

John

Posted

John, do you use remote desktop or any remote desktop like programs such as VNC or logmein? Windows has been known to confuse itself if remote desktop is running as the clipboard is shared between both machines and can get itself in a muddle. Run this program to see if you have any identifiable problems with your clipboard and post back the results.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/temp/GetOpenClipboardWindow.zip

Kaspersky found no problems when I used it yesterday.

Depending what hold it has over system processes, perhaps Kaspersky is the problem. Try to disable it temporarily and then do the copy/paste. Also, a lot of people unknowingly have two antivirus software programs installed. Just check to make sure this isn't the case as it can also cause unexpected problems.

Finally make sure you are up to date with the latest windows updates.

Mikel

:help:

Edited by Mikel Nimbus

Posted

thanks Mike

ran that prog and it said no problems

re Kaspersky-you might be right-I am no expert but have had my doubts about it for some time but my pc guru reckons its not it.

I'll try what you suggest.

thanks for the help

John

Posted

hi again

re this Mike

Depending what hold it has over system processes, perhaps Kaspersky is the problem. Try to disable it temporarily and then do the copy/paste. Also, a lot of people unknowingly have two antivirus software programs installed. Just check to make sure this isn't the case as it can also cause unexpected problems.

Finally make sure you are up to date with the latest windows updates.

tried them-disabled Kasp and did restart=had no effect, still refused to place a www file in My Pccs-screen just cleared immediately as it has been doing.

no sign of any other programme running

pc is on auto windows updates all the time

??

John

Posted

Hi John, when you say the screen clears, do you mean the icons in the folder disappear, or the whole screen actually goes blank?

Just to be sure it isn't remote desktop running in the background without you knowing, press ctrl, alt ,del and click on processes tab. Sort the processes alphabetically and if you see mstsc.exe highlight it and click end process, wait about 10 seconds to check it doesn't auto restart itself and see if that has any effect (don't reboot as this will restart the mstsc process).

Alternatively, and this is by no means a fix, but if you boot into 'safe mode with networking' (tap F8 when you boot up), I'd be surprised if you still get the problem.

Otherwise there are many third party clipboard applications out there, some free, that you can download and use instead.

Good luck mate, hopefully the PC guy on Tuesday will work his magic.

Edited by Mikel Nimbus

Posted

hello Mike

No such file name, nearest is msdtc.exe which it warns not to end!

not sure about how to do the 2nd suggestion?

re the third-got any ideas please?

but again thank you for your time

cheers

John

Posted

Loading safe mode is very simple and a good way of diagnosing problems like this. All it does is load the very basic drivers which windows needs to run, so if there are any other conflicting programs which may be causing copy/paste not to work, they will not be loaded.

Once you have turned your machine on, immediately start tapping your F8 key (on some machines it may be F5). Keep doing this and you should get a screen with several options, 'safe mode', 'safe mode with networking', 'safe mode with command prompt' etc. Choose the Networking one and let it load up. As it is only running in a very basic mode, the graphics may mislead you into thinking you're back in the 1990's http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif but you can still access all your files and run any programs you need. Hopefully, copy/paste should now work. If it still doesn't, it could be a specific windows component that your computer guy needs to reinstall.

There are some third party options here. Sorry I cant tell you how good any of them are but Many Paste looks like it might do the job.

http://www.filebuzz.com/findsoftware/Copy_And_Paste_Program/1.html

John or anyone else, I'm looking for a website with GFS data for North America. Wetterzentrale is OK but doesn't have Cape/LI. Any ideas? If it has skew-ts aswell that would be great.

Thanks

*edit* ooops looks like they are available on NW, but I cant find where abouts. :(

Edited by Mikel Nimbus

Posted

haveing issues when I click first unread post on topics, instead of jummping to the last post i read, it jumps to the start of the topic. which can be very annoying

Posted

Loading safe mode is very simple and a good way of diagnosing problems like this. All it does is load the very basic drivers which windows needs to run, so if there are any other conflicting programs which may be causing copy/paste not to work, they will not be loaded.

Once you have turned your machine on, immediately start tapping your F8 key (on some machines it may be F5). Keep doing this and you should get a screen with several options, 'safe mode', 'safe mode with networking', 'safe mode with command prompt' etc. Choose the Networking one and let it load up. As it is only running in a very basic mode, the graphics may mislead you into thinking you're back in the 1990's Posted Image but you can still access all your files and run any programs you need. Hopefully, copy/paste should now work. If it still doesn't, it could be a specific windows component that your computer guy needs to reinstall.

There are some third party options here. Sorry I cant tell you how good any of them are but Many Paste looks like it might do the job.

http://www.filebuzz...._Program/1.html

John or anyone else, I'm looking for a website with GFS data for North America. Wetterzentrale is OK but doesn't have Cape/LI. Any ideas? If it has skew-ts aswell that would be great.

Thanks

*edit* ooops looks like they are available on NW, but I cant find where abouts. Posted Image

many thanks again Mike.

I'm out hiking today but will have a look at what you suggest either sometime this evening or tomorrow.

Sorry I'm not able to help in return over your US data, I'd pm Paul S, Nick F or Paul M, as I'm sure they will be able and willing to give you site addresses/links.

John

Posted

having issues when I click first unread post on topics, instead of jumping to the last post i read, it jumps to the start of the topic. which can be very annoying

I noticed this to! Seems to be off and on though. E.g it doesn't work in the model thread but works in the serious discussion Posted Image

Posted

I noticed this to! Seems to be off and on though. E.g it doesn't work in the model thread but works in the serious discussion Posted Image

prime example of this just occured, went to post in this thread yesterday, it went to the last unread post yesterday, today it went stright to the start of the topic.

very annoying.

Posted

prime example of this just occured, went to post in this thread yesterday, it went to the last unread post yesterday, today it went stright to the start of the topic.

very annoying.

I'm getting this too. Even marking the forum as read doesn't help. I thought it was my end... Oh matron...

Posted

hi anyone

I've got SOME of my pc ability back, so far only very limited and I've lost the pdf facility, the free one someone kindly advised my of many months ago. I've used it often for posting forecasts/thoughts etc in to various NW threads.

Could somone please drop a free pdf location in here for me please?

Also although I've downloaded spell check it refuses to work with NW-any ideas anyone please?

many thanks

John

Posted

hi anyone

I've got SOME of my pc ability back, so far only very limited and I've lost the pdf facility, the free one someone kindly advised my of many months ago. I've used it often for posting forecasts/thoughts etc in to various NW threads.

Could somone please drop a free pdf location in here for me please?

Also although I've downloaded spell check it refuses to work with NW-any ideas anyone please?

many thanks

John

You could install the google tool bar which has it inbuilt, or try a diffrent internet browser. If you installed a spell check you should be able to go to tools, then manage add ons :)