Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Time You Saw Lying Snow During March?

Posted
In telford on christmas it did snow.

There was a blizzard from 8-10:20pm

and it was there boxing day morning.

It snowed this year in march many times

especially at the start then around 20th of march to

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must live in a unique part of Telford!! When we phoned home there was no snow. Yes we had "snow" in March but nothing that stuck and stayed for any period of time.

Posted
You must live in a unique part of Telford!! When we phoned home there was no snow. Yes we had "snow" in March but nothing that stuck and stayed for any period of time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's certainly mistaken about the 20th of March. There was snow here at the start of March, plus on one day in April, but the second half of March was very mild.

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If u look on the radar for christmas

It seems it snowed across all of shropshire

though.

z77nk.gif

Posted

though.

z77nk.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Certainly did in Shrewsbury- I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Where did you find that radar? I remember sitting here looking at it on Christmas Day evening.

Posted
Shrewsbury seems to miss a lot of the snow,last Christmas we woke to some flakes here in Telford,when we got to Shrewsbury there was none,when we got to Oswestry(My sister lives there) there was also none. Then about 7pm it started to snow. By morning it was gone but on the high ground around Oswestry there was about 3 inches,Shrewsbury again had none as did Telford. Snow events of late seem very localised?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was definately snow in Whitchurh on Christmas and Boxing day 04, snowed on and off both days.

As for snow in March, dont ever recall it..

Posted

though.

z77nk.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All i know is that in Oswestry we had loads(enough for snow ball fights :p ) When the other half phoned home in Telford there was none at all. On boxing day we went for a walk up on the hills-a good 6 inches up there-looking over to the Wrekin it had none on it :( There were a few flakes in the air early Christmas day but then the sun came out. I tried to set up a webcam so we could check what was going on at home but ran out of time :p I don't recall the actual dates but we certainly had some snow this year.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

I've seen snow lying in March in these years:

Posted

Last two years have seen lying snow on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd (thats 2004 and 2005). All lying snow recordings are 9am.

I didn't keep records before then but I'd say with some confidence that we have lying snow at least one day in March every single year.

Posted

4th of March this year, about an inch at breakfast time. Remember it as I booked my car in for an MOT that day. It added a bit to the bits and pieces of lying snow that had lasted in the shade from the previous week or two, but it was the last of that late feb-early march spell and caused by a warm front, so by midday everything had gone.

Posted
Yes, i believe i did not see snow in March 1997, in 1998, i saw for inches of snowfall in April.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SB, as one who lives very nearby you, and in a more snowsure location, I think I can argue very strongly that there have been Marches recently when you haven't had lying snow (that met MetO criteria), most recently March 2003. That year it hardly snowed at all in March (once hereabouts I think and that was very wet stuff).

Posted
In the last 43 years  I've recorded only 5 years when there was no lying snow in March; 1991, 1997,2000, 2002 and 2003, mostly quite recently as you can see.

The latest date I've recorded lying snow was June 2nd 1975 but that was during the afternoon, not at 0900. The latest date under met' office criteria was May 18th 1968.

T.M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

T.M. with 43 data points that's well into statistically significant territory: my point being that 4 of the last nne have been snowless, but only one the 34 before that. My plots elsewhere show the March warming, and let's not forget, you're in a very good location for snow. More grist in the mill...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In the coastal regions of Tyne & Wear, Marches 1997 and 2003 both passed by without a single flake of snow falling.

Then again, March 2001 was the snowiest March there for at least 14 years, and March 1995 was also quite snowy although the snow often melted in the sun.

Posted

In Surrey (until 1988/Brixton thereafter) the last time I saw lying snow in March was (I think) 1.3.87 (about 2" in Weybridge and 1" in London).

latest time in Surrey was 2" on (I think) 22.4.79.

regards

ACB

• 3 months later...
Posted
From my location here in the far west of Manchester, the last time I saw snow lying during March (under the Met-Office criteria) was

28th March 1995

Nearly 10 years ago!

It snowed during the Marches of 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2004 but it never settled. Ringway reported one day during March 1999 but there was nothing here.

Here's the days with lying snow during March from my location since 1985

1985: 1

1987: 2

1989: 1

1995: 3

Only 3 days since March 1989 with March 2005 not adding to the list.

I'm not holding out for lying snow this March. It would be odd to record a day of lying snow during March and not one during the whole of the winter months, here in Manchester.

Posted

Last time snow observed in March:

4th March 2005 in Reading, only around 1cm lying however. At home in Leavenheath my mum reported 4cm's of snow on the same morning.

There was a fall of 5cm snow in Leavenheath on 25th February 2001 (close to the start of March) from a trough moving south, but before that it would probably be 1995 or so.

Doubt very much I will see lying snow this year as we haven't had any lying snow since the year started, but you never know!

Posted
Overnight in March 2004, it snowed fairly heavy most of the evening and night but produced only 3cm. I think some areas in March 2005 had some remarkable falls of snow.

I was living in north kent (nr bluebell hill) in March 2005 and we had 7 inches of snow on the wed (2nd?) It started at about 8am and went on til about 4pm....amazing. it stayed for over a week

I havent seen snow like that since, not even over here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
I'm not holding out for lying snow this March. It would be odd to record a day of lying snow during March and not one during the whole of the winter months, here in Manchester.

Lancaster managed it during the 1994/95 season: there were 6 mornings with more than half-cover of snow, all 6 of which occurred during March.

Posted

3rd March 2005 - and the day after too. Had 15cms in the south suburbs of Edinburgh at around 150m asl.

Posted

two instances here in downtown snowless Doncaster.

1 in 2005

2 in 1999.

since I started my own data in January 1997. The long term Finningley average is 1.

John

Posted

In answer to the question posed in the thread, the last time I actually saw lying snow in March was on the 18th in 2001, although it was only a partial cover and wasn't covering more than half the ground at 0900.

The last "proper" (i.e. more than half cover) snow covering I saw was on the 5th in 2001.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

In more than 40 years of weather recording I've yet to experience a winter with no days of lying snow. However in 1998 there were only 2 mornings with lying snow during the winter, equalled in March 1998.

There have been 5 Marches here with no mornings with lying snow, 4 of them in the last 8 years. In 1997 there was only 1 day with any falling snow in March and none lying, the least snowy March on record.

At the other end of the scale March 1969 had 23 mornings with lying snow, there were 16 in 1970, 14 in 1987 and 11 each in 1979, 1995 and 2001.

T.M