Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Notable Weather In 1991

rivergypsy

Ahhh...one suspected something a little special had been cooked up by mother nature on that day.

People, bless you and thank you for your swift replies.

On the off chance, does anyone recall either hearing or observing something odd in the Foxton/Stansted area on the 30th/12/04 at around 6.00 am...and pushing my luck, the general weather conditions in that region on the same morning, specifically wind speed and direction?? :(

Edited by rivergypsy

Posted

A vigorous trough crossed the UK on the 12th of November 1991. A tornado caused damage at Dullingham in Cambridgeshire according to the November 1991 weather log. I suspect it may have something to do with the tornado.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Yep, I've found this which backs that up :(

November. A changeable, cyclonic month that was dull and wet in the west and north. A deep depression on the 12th brought severe gales, heavy rain, thunderstorms, and even some snow to the country; a tornado was reported near Newmarket. That's the sort of day we like.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1991_weather.htm

Posted
The first such TORNADO WATCH with this intensity indication was issued on November 12, 1991 and predicted a maximum of T5. This was attained in one tornado in East Anglia out of the three that occurred in the region on this day.

TORRO

T3 Strong Tornado 42 - 51 m s-1 (93 - 114 mi h-1) Mobile homes overturned / badly damaged; light caravans destroyed; garages and weak outbuildings destroyed; house roof timbers considerably exposed. Some of the bigger trees snapped or uprooted.

T4 Severe Tornado 52 - 61 m s-1 (115 - 136 mi h-1) Motor cars levitated. Mobile homes airborne / destroyed; sheds airborne for considerable distances; entire roofs removed from some houses; roof timbers of stronger brick or stone houses completely exposed; gable ends torn away. Numerous trees uprooted or snapped.

T5 Intense Tornado 62 - 72 m s-1 (137 - 160 mi h-1) Heavy motor vehicles levitated; more serious building damage that for T4, yet house walls usually remaining; the oldest, weakest buildings may collapse completely.

T10 Super Tornado 121 - 134 m s-1 (270 - 299 mi h-1) Entire frame houses and similar buildings lifted bodily from foundations and carried some distances. Steel-reinforced concrete buildings may be severely damaged.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On the off chance, does anyone recall either hearing or observing something odd in the Foxton/Stansted area on the 30th/12/04 at around 6.00 am...and pushing my luck, the general weather conditions in that region on the same morning, specifically wind speed and direction?? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

30 December 2004 (I don't know why November 1991 seems to be trotted about!)

I have only got conditions for 7am that morning (that's the nearest I can get to 6am I'm afraid)

Standed Airport:

9C

Cloudy

8C dewpoint

95% humidity

1025mb and steady

7 oktas (cloud cover)

Stratocumulus cloud

Westerly wind Beaufort 3

10km visibility

• 2 years later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here is the chart for the 12th November 1991...

Rrea00119911112.gif

Loks windy, wet and mild, but not OTT..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

That chart is for midnight, at the beginning of the 12th. Note the developing long-wave, vigorous trough out in the Atlantic.

After a wet and windy day here, torrential rain fell around 4;30 pm with a blinding flash of lightning (it was getting dark of course), and deafening thunder.

Once the storms had cleared, the back edge of the cold front could be seen around 5:30pm, with towering Cb anvils to the east highlighted by the city light pollution, in the dark sky.