Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow/wintry Precipitation Reports: 24th February

PB22

Posted
Just started to snow here in North-West London. It is quite light at the moment, but not settling as the ground is too wet. If anything the snow is rather wet....not expecting anything to settle today so at least i have seen some snow...this cold spell has been a big let down...oh well maybe next year..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was snowing lightly at 7am this morning when I woke up. Still light snow now. Not settling on roads or paths, but had 2cm cover on car. Unfortunately snow is melting faster than flakes are falling at present.

SW ;)

Posted

Moderate snow falling here in Darwen, heavier snow has fallen throughout the night and this morning.

This has lead to a good couple of inches building up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

About an inch here....snow all morning but very fine and I have noticed snow coming off the trees so it must be thawing a bit now.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still snowing but varying from light to moderate. Roads mainly clear and not blocked. Side roads covered except on the lowest areas

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Very small flurries in Lancaster, but nothing settling- last evening had a few snow showers which produced a one-third covering (which then melted), and last night, from 3 am onwards, the main area of snow stalled about 5 miles to my southeast, as usual.

There's no hope for this area now; any snow that falls in the afternoon will simply not settle because it's too warm. The snow needed to arrive during the early hours of this morning as initially forecast.

I might just have to accept that while I'm in a position of moving around different parts of the country, I will act as a snow killing machine for wherever I am.

Posted
Snow has been falling since 8Pm last night and here it left 10cm/4" so far. Still snowing too.

Day off work as I cant get upto other side of sheffield as roads are blocked up there.

They had 10cm lying yesterday and have had 15cm overnight, thats a whopping 25cm/10"!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

STILL SNOWING BUT MORE HEAVILY NOW, HAS ADDED ANOTHER CM SINCE MY LAST POST

Posted
Average undrifted depth 19.6cm. Drifts 1 to 1.8 metres deep.

Continuous moderate falling and drifting snow.

T.M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was hoping to see your report TM. Think, watching the radar last night, that S Pennines have been most in the firing line.

Here in Stratosdale it's hard to get a level measure: got some nice piccies of the snow up the back door (see piccy thread). Best assesment based on lawn is 15cm fresh snow. Drifts up to around 45cm in the garden, but as other piccies show right up the walls in the fields. It's been snowing continuously, if not particularly heavily, for 16 hours now. Can't think that this has happened hereabouts since the early 1980s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

continous pulses of wet snow

Posted

Really frustrating for me today :rolleyes:

Woke to an all surface covering of 1/2cm and flurries falling.

Then it stopped flurrying about 0800 and the covering melted.

Then about 0930 steady snow started falling and got quite heavy for a while but not fat enough flakes to settle.

Now gently sleety flurries.

All is not lost for my hope of taking pictures tomorrow as the hills are white :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
I was hoping to see your report TM.  Think, watching the radar last night, that S Pennines have been most in the firing line.

Here in Stratosdale it's hard to get a level measure: got some nice piccies of the snow up the back door (see piccy thread).  Best assesment based on lawn is 15cm fresh snow.  Drifts up to around 45cm in the garden, but as other piccies show right up the walls in the fields.  It's been snowing continuously, if not particularly heavily, for 16 hours now.  Can't think that this has happened hereabouts since the early 1980s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must admit Stratos I did think for several hours late last night that we were going to miss the worst (best ) of it. It's been snowing here continuously since about 2000 yesterday, as you say, mostly light, occasionally moderate overnight.

The snow has been moderate and continuous since about 0900 with continued drifting is all exposed areas. Not blizzard conditions by any means but continuous blowing snow. The middle of all the fields on the moors are blown clear of snow down to a depth of about 5cm, it's piled up to the top of all the walls.

We've not had a blowing snow event like this one since Feb' 1991, a very long time hereabouts. Doesn't even begin to compare with some of the great blizzards ( in the true sense of the word, where you can't breathe or face the snow ) such as 1979, 1969.

T.M

Posted
I was hoping to see your report TM.  Think, watching the radar last night, that S Pennines have been most in the firing line.

Here in Stratosdale it's hard to get a level measure: got some nice piccies of the snow up the back door (see piccy thread).  Best assesment based on lawn is 15cm fresh snow.  Drifts up to around 45cm in the garden, but as other piccies show right up the walls in the fields.  It's been snowing continuously, if not particularly heavily, for 16 hours now.  Can't think that this has happened hereabouts since the early 1980s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its been snowing here for 14 hours now, but temperatures are marginal at 1.8º. I got 3cm snow overight but it only added 1cm to the cover. Thats my lot I'm afraid, if anything the snow cover is now decreasing again, despite falling snow. Haven't been out to measure (I dare'nt :rolleyes: ) since 9am.

If only I was 270m up like you....1-1.5º colder, likelyhood of heavier precipitation, I'd be laughing now, taking into account the snow cover I had for the last few days.

Its on days like this where altitude really counts, looking at posts from yourself, Terminal, hagler etc. I must move to the top of a hill one day, perhaps when the kids are grown up and doing their own thing.

Still mustn't grumble, I've had a nice surprise in the last few days, all good things have to come to an end (last sentence stated without much conviction TBH :) )

Posted

STILL SNOWING MODERATLY, SLIGHT THAW FROM UNDERNEATH THE BLANKET I THINK AS A FEW BLADES OF GRASS ARE SHOWING THROUGH THE SNOW THI=OUGH THE FALLING SNOW IS STILL SETTLING ONTOP.

post-1098-1109247549.jpg

Posted
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia

wokes up to white outs todays and yesterdays! so much snow is been the fallings man and settlings since last nights! yesterday it is melteds quite queecklys but today is quite good coverings. so many snowy showers, snowings non stops thees mornings but lot of snow is rather slushys! wondefools wintry weathers in lootons!!! gorgeous!!!!!!! :rolleyes::):)

Posted
Still keep getting small snow showers but the temp is way to high for it to settle now  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its never stopped snowing here since yesterday evening Katie. From time to time the snow turns a bit heavier with bigger flakes, but the temperature remains constant between 1.6º-1.8º. Its not settling anymore and hasn't for some hours.

But I'm still on window watch, hoping, wishing, praying that the snow will turn heavy for an hour or two and drag the temperature down with it. Alas Katie, its over.

I just wish it would stop snowing now, to bring some closure to this most frustrating day.

Posted

We have had snow for a shocking 15 hours non-stop now, but the 5cm's left last night is slowly thawing in the wetter snow showers, but im hoping any around for 4pm onwards, should start to fall properly as snow again. :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still Snowing around Shef Uni fairly light though but keeps having the odd burst of heavier stuff. Melting faster than it falls though.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

just to update, still snowing here in Milton Keynes. Keeps changing from light to moderate snowfall. Nothing is laying and the covering from overnight has mostly all melted now :rolleyes: . Here's hoping the PPN will become heavier this afternoon and lay a nice layer again before clearing and freezing overnight. I still haven't had enough to build a snowman ;(

Posted

It has snowed/ sleeted nonstop since about 4am here in Chesham Bucks, nothing left of pitiful covering this morning. A total wash out ! Depressed beyond words.. why does the media have to hype this so called big event so much? make them go to Canada or Siberia, I say, experience real weather !

Posted

A real combination down in Hythe, Kent this afternoon. Started off early this morning flakes in the wind. Then that fine icy pellet drizzle, then light snow tiny flakes, and for the past two hours it can't make it's mind up. We've had a combination of moderate light sleet, light snow, heavier bursts with massive flakes, drizzly light rain, rain barely sleet, then back to snow again, light bursts, heavy bursts. Looking out for the GFS predicted precipitation through to this evening hopefully something may stick though I think this is the last of it for this cold spell. Pretty to watch though!. :rolleyes: