Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mid-april 1998 Snow Cover

Weather-history

Posted

Here's a quirk of the weather, whilst bathing in warm spring sunshine during mid-Feb 1998 in Manchester, there were snow-cover on 2 consecutive mornings during mid-April 1998.

Morning of the 14th April 1998: Heavy overnight snow showers left this covering

Jan3102.jpg

Morning of the 15th of April 1998: Heavy snow left this covering

Jan3103.jpg

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

I have my birthday in April, and there have been several occasions when I had snow on my birthday...the last was in 1989 when I was 18...

....so there is still hope for some more snow before the summer hits! B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Lancaster also had snow cover on 14 and 15 April 1998, making it the snowiest April here since 1978.

I wasn't here at the time, I was in Tyneside which missed out on those particular snowfalls, but instead woke up to a snow cover on the 12th courtesy of overnight east-coast snow showers. It seemed that the April 1998 setup was the type of northerly that delivers to much of the country.

Tyneside also picked up on a significant late snowfall on the 13th-14th April 1999. Not much settled on the coast that time round, but it was more than the (sleet?) that Lancaster reported.

Posted

I saw snow on all 4 days of Easter and on the Tuesday afterwards.

There was rain on Good Friday which turned to wet snow for a time that evening.

On the Saturday, snow/hail showers broke out and spread southwards across NW england during the late afternoon

On Easter Sunday, it was a cold frosty start and it was a dry morning, the showers rapidly broke out during the afternoon with some quite heavy snow and hail showers

On the Easter Monday, it was mostly dry here during daylight hours but snow showers associated with a trough moved in from the Irish Sea and it was snowing heavily and this gave the covering

On the Tuesday, the little low that moved through Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man leaving a good covering there moved into the NW of England and gave sleet and snow during the early afternoon. By evening it was snowing heavily and a severe weather warning was issued for heavy snow for Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire. Really weird seeing large snow flakes falling, snow on the ground, daffodils in full bloom, blossom on trees.

Edited by Mr_Data

Guest Sir Seany
I have my birthday in April, and there have been several occasions when I had snow on my birthday...the last was in 1989 when I was 18...

....so there is still hope for some more snow before the summer hits!  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It snowed on the day i was born in 1989! It also snowed on the day my sisters were born in March '86 and October '82, so thats kinda weird!!! B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looking at my own weather records and collections, some parts of the north (mainly high ground) had a white 20th April in 1995.

In Tyneside there were heavy rain and hail showers that day, one of which left about an inch of hail cover.

Posted

16 April 1998 in Tyneside was mostly cloudy with snow showers during the morning. Surprisingly the temperature was mostly around 4-5C while the snow fell.

Then after a sunny interval around lunchtime, cloud thickened from the north as a frontal system transferred down the east coast, bringing outbreaks of sleety rain and temperatures again around 4-5C. This was one of the episodes that convinced me that snow generally falls at higher temperatures when it is showery than when it is persistent.

In Lancaster, the archives suggest that it was dry and sunny all day, the 14th/15th snow event having melted the previous day, illustrating JACKONE's point quite nicely- well let's face it, how could a 3cm cover possibly survive maxima of 8C?

Summed up nationally, 16 April 1998 was a sunny day for central, western and southern areas with a few scattered wintry showers, but it was dull and wet over E Scotland and NE England.

Supposedly, Hawes (Pennines) had a snow cover on 16 April 1999, but showers at low levels were mainly of rain that time around.

• 2 years later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I think i remeber this event, at the time i was living in a town called Birstall not far from my current location, i woke up in the morning and it was quite sunny, but there were clouds in the distance, and said to my mother that i thought they were snow clouds, she agreed.

If i remeber correctly, the snow started around lucnchtime and was quite heavy, producing a depth of at least two inches i would say.

I could be remebering a different event, but i believe it was a day or two after the Good Friday agreement in northern Ireland, was that in the same year??