Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

For Jan 2005 Read Jan 1976?

Anti-Mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I've just been browsing TWO and one of the articles was describing January 1976. It said that the first 3 weeks were mild and very stormy, then in the last week a greenland high linked with an azores high to give a northerly airflow. This was followed in February by an easterly wind bringing low tempertures across Britain. Could this become a case of history repeating itself? regards, AM

Posted
I've just been browsing TWO and one of the articles was describing January 1976. It said that the first 3 weeks were mild and very stormy, then in the last week a greenland high linked with an azores high to give a northerly airflow. This was followed in February by an easterly wind bringing low tempertures across Britain. Could this become a case of history repeating itself? regards, AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it mate but we'll just have to wait and see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Although February 1976 had easterlies, I haven't found anything in the archives to suggest that it was at all productive snow-wise. 1975-76, on the whole, was a winter of a similar nature to the typical modern winter.

Posted

I'm not sure if you are referring to the article that I wrote in the TWO archives but there were some scattered snowfalls during the easterly at the end of January and early February 1976.

The Queen opened the NEC at Birmingham in early February 1976 during a snowfall.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

You were not too wrong Anti Mild. Were you? <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I will look at some historic charts to confirm this however if it is true then it wuld confirm my predictions of a long, hot and dry summer, 1976 had the driest summer on record until 1995.