Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow/wintry Precipitation Reports: 18-21st January

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, or if unavailable, heavy snow

Snowing here since 11 am - fairly light though. First snow I've seen from this current cold snap.

Posted

very good night here in Llandudno.....we had a total white out at one point with snow settled everywhere........then some thunder....lightening.....hail........then by morning it was all gone.....just cold now and damp everywhere.........

Posted
Heavy hail all night, I can't see any evidence of snow. All there is, is a dusting of hail giving at most a cm.

Interesting to see Cheshire got an inch of snow.

Am I the only one to just get hail? It just looked like polystyrene sheet on my car this morning as its all stuck together, only pellets of hail though, none of this golf ball stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not far off downwind of you and agree that much of last night's reported snow might have been soft hail / graupel - arguably technical pedantry because graupel is partly refrozen snow. Certainly around midnight I had the same thought as you: looked just like someone had emptied a beanbag in the wind - your description is perfect - polystyrene balls.

Been blowing what qualifies as a blizzard on the Stratos scale (intensity 40) for about half an hour now. To be honest I'm fairly surprised at how much snow this trough has on it. Will be interested to see whether it makes it far SE - probably touch and go as temp here was only 1.5C before snow started.

1cm settled overnight before this latest lot. Can't be far off another 1cm on top now. I gather in the hinterlands of Stratosshire (Queensbury - snowiest place in Britain in my book) there was about 3-4cm late last night (at which time I had none).

Posted

Obs at 11.25am

Wind south west gusting at 20 kts

Sky mostly obscured by falling snow. Second shower today - with a dusting on the ground already. and looks darker to the west.

temp is 1.1c

Ground is dry and partly frozen form last nights frost and light cover of snow so any more should settle quickly if enough falls.

Posted

Same here at the moment, some sort of snow at last.

Looks to be making it over the pennines then and not loosing much of its force which will be good for those in the East.

Unfortunetely it doesn't appear to be sticking here, the hail has turned to slush and its not making good conditions for sticking.

Posted

A very very and i mean very slight dusting of snow on the chiltens this morning, well the M40 junction 6 part any way.

Posted

Heavy blustery sleet/wet snow here. Can make out the snowflakes quite well.

Posted

Well what a day it has been so far.

I wolk up at 4:00 AM this morning to thunder snow and hail the size of marbles at one point.

There has been hail snow flurries coming through all day since.

Posted

Nothing of that sort here in West Wiltshire.

There was a slight flurry at 1st light but since then sunny.

Apparantly some snow settled on the higher ground Of Salisbury Plain and Marlborough Downs.

Posted

it's beautiful here, just easing off on another snow fall, i reckon we got about 2 to 3 cm laying and the sky still looks full of it :unsure: :)

even got kids out with sledges on the hill where we live :)

Posted

Got about an inch lying here on the ground fromw hat must have been an intense shower at about 2am as I went to bed at 12:40 and got up at 2:30 and it was all white, but the snow band has gone through, and now it's raining!

Posted

Had another 1cm in this mornings's hour long snowstorm / blizzard, so about 2cm lying, with drifts up to about 15cm. Milder now, and cloud base has lifted, so I suspect that's it for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Sun has just come out again in Reading slightly cloudy to the north and west, but alas no sign of any snow and am very doubtful. :unsure: Am envious of you guys in the north with the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, or if unavailable, heavy snow

Conditions here oscillating between light rain & heavy wet snow

Posted

Blizzard like conditions for a time here around 11:00, I couldn't see where I was going it was that heavy, gave a covering of around and inch or so, on top of the two inches we had. It carried on snowing to around 12:35 it is now threatening to rain I think, although the sun is shining, but I feel the snow wont be here for long! :unsure:

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
6 inches in Porteedown eh?  Only 3-4 down here in Newry :unsure:

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in Cookstown now - snow was bad when I got here this morning (eventually), but is now melting :-( - RAPIDLY.

Ah well nice while it lasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Almost continuous snow, some of it heavy, since about 1145. The temperature remains in the range 0.5c to 1.5c so, even though it's lying, it's rather wet stuff. Snowing heavily at the moment with about 1.5cm lying and the roads just whitening over for the third time today.

I would think, higher up in the Peak District, above about 400mts there must be around 6cm by now.

T.M