Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Our younger days - Winter memories......

SMU

Posted
Evening all- Thought Id pop a little message on here to evoke memories of what we used to do as children when we thought it was going to snow-

Heres my memories-

I was always fanatical about snow,my parents used to stand bemused at this scruffy 8 year old standing looking out of the window on the landing waiting for it to snow......

It was an obsession- every day at 12pm I would have the European weather forecast recorded onto video for me ( Usually forecast by Bill giles) so I could view the impending pressure charts.

I had all sorts of second hand temperature guages in the garden giving me that vital information-

Then sometimes the news that id been waiting for- " A blast from the East was coming"

The excitement was amazing.-

Finally the day came where the showers would come....

If it was dark I used to look to the east over shooters hill to see if the ' BLUR' level was getting worse- The blur level being the more shooters hill was blurred from sight the heavier the snow was!!!!!!

1987 was the best- Sent home from school and the heavy snow continued to fall- it lay 1ft deep on the dustbin outside- and the temp that day peaked at -5C- all in all some great memories.....

Has anyone else got any funny memories of what they used to

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi...this is my first post in this forum.

I have loads of memories about the lovely cold snowy winters we used to have when I was a kid. I was born in April 1938 so I am now 66.

You asked about funny stories. I was 24 during the winter of 1962/63, which was easily the coldest winter of the whole 20th century, and after the 1947 winter (only 16 years before) it was the second snowiest. My grandmother lived alone in a tiny cottage heated only with a coal fire downstairs, and when she went to bed she always put her teeth in a glass of water by her bed. When she woke in the morning they were frozen into a block of ice in the glass, and the wee pan under the bed had ice on it too!

I remember I had to carry buckets of water to her for months on end as all her pipes were frozen. In our house only the outside loo was frozen up in spite of us putting paraffin oil lamps inside it under the pipes. I will never forget the smell of the paraffin. Several times the entire backyard was snowed up and it was always my job to clear it before I went to work and next day it was all blocked in again. That winter went on from 22 Dec 62 to early March 63. When the thaw finally came it was so strange to see green grass again. The only burst pipe we had was in the coalhouse under a huge pile of coal. Guess who had to shovel all the coal out!

One of my nicest memories of all those cold snowy winters the UK had then (the cold period lasted from he 1930s to the 1970s generally, with one severe winter in 1981/82. Since then the winters have been getting much milder and nowadays snow is getting more and more unlikely. It was in December 1950..the winter of 1950/51 was very snowy....and for instance in mid Dec that year Ryde in the Isle of Wight had 18 inches of snow. Here in Herefordshire it was my first term at Grammar School at the age of 12. We had our school Christmas party in the evening of 18 Dec and earlier it had started to snow very heavily. It was the cold, dry powdery stuff and it came down like talcum powder and was soon very deep everywhere. It was a lovely party. My Dad was caretaker at the school, and my Mum an assistant. When the party ended my Mum and sister came to the school with our sledge, which was on metal runners and big enough to hold two adults, and then my Dad and I pulled my Mum and sister on the sledge all the way home through the snow. Being dry snow it hardpacked on the streets and roads, even under the few vehicles there were then. I remember how deadly silent it was as we pulled the sledge through the thickly falling snow...you couldn't hear a sound, and it was often like that then in heavy snow. All we could hear was the soft crunch our boots made in the snow. That will always be a lovely memory for me.

Those kind of winters will never return again, and that's a shame, but that's global warming for you.

:D

Posted

Welcome to the forum Ledbury Lad and thanks for such a great first post. I have to say it's posts like that which are making this into a really enjoyable thread to read and one which we will definitely save.. :D

Posted

welcome to the forum Ledbury Lad, nice to have someone even older tham me! Lovely story too.

Posted
Welcome to the forum Ledbury Lad and thanks for such a great first post. I have to say it's posts like that which are making this into a really enjoyable thread to read and one which we will definitely save.. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the welcome and your kind words, Paul. I've always been interested in weather and climate in general, and my observations and weather diaries go back to when I was 14. It was during geography lessons at school that my interest developed. I should really have gone into a meteorological career when I left school but I took another path, but that's another story!

I am now very concerned with what seems to be happening to the world's climate and environment in general, and it's fortunate now that a lot of people are taking it seriously. I really miss those winters of earlier years..the ones today, all muggy and mild and wet and sometimes stormy, seem so unnatural somehow.

I said that the last severe winter was that of 1981/82, which is not strictly true. In Dec 1981 and later in Jan 1982 this area registered temperatures down to -22C and some immense snowfalls. Up in Shropshire it went down to -26C. On 10 Jan 82 Braemar in Scotland had a MAXIMUM temperature of -19C! However, February 1986 saw snow covering the ground for much of the month, and some bitter east winds. I remember walking home from the station one early evening and the cold wind was so penetrating my face felt as if it had been lashed with steel bars. On another day a flock of redwings descended on my garden and stripped all the berries off my cotoneaster in about ten minutes flat. They seemed to be in everone's garden, and I had never seen that before or since. A year later in January 1987 it was intensely cold for a while as well, but the snow cover was not so deep and did not last as long as the year before.

White Christmases stick in my mind. My first was actually the first of my life...1938, which was snowy in most of the UK. Being just eight months old I do not remember it though! Very often there was snow before Christmas, but those with a complete deep snowcover on Christmas Day to my personal memory were those of 1956, 1970 and 1981. In 1956 the snow started at 10am and by 4pm was six inches deep and with drifts that closed some roads locally. In 1961 it was severely cold, but the snowfalls came just after Christmas after 2 weeks of hard frosts. In 1962 the snow came with a vengeance on Boxing Day and that was it until March. Christmas Day 1970 saw us sledging in brilliant sunshine that dazzled so much on the snow I had to wear sunglasses. Cold Christmases with hard frosts, other than those I have mentioned, included 1964, 1965 and 1969, so all in all the 1960s was a cold decade by today's standards. The last really cold Christmas here was 1995, followed by a heavy glazed frost which made walking down to the garden path very hazardous and cars did the skaters' waltz down the slight incline of our street! That was strange, as the 1990s was a warm decade over all.

I'm not sure if it is really good to look backwards, but I think it's necessary just to prove a point.....the climate patterns are definitely changing, and faster than we realise. Only yesterday the Independent newpaper published an article on global warming. By the middle of this century polar bears will have become extinct after thousands of years existence....all this achieved in the space of a lifetime. I think I'm going to cry.

:D

Posted

<Snip>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see no harm in looking back LL,only last night I laid my hands on some old Daily Weather Reports from November 1965 which was the snowiest November I can ever remember,I live in Newcastle upon Tyne and starting from the twelfth(I only have charts from that date)the weather was cold,but the real fun began on the 25th with a low over Ireland moving ESE just to the South of us and we got about 6" of fairly wet snow which then froze over night.Another low moved to the South of us the next night and gave ,as I remember around another Foot of the white stuff,Yet another low moved across the Midlands in the early hours of the 29th and a further moderate accumulation occured,after that the weather eased considerably.During most of the month the main feature was a large high over Greenland that did not move very much,oh to have a spell like that again,regards Rollo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: autumn, winter, cold, sunny, snow, crisp

Hi all, this thread has caught my eye too!!

was going to post on "Slow Watch" at some point this winter having followed both it and this board for at least two years. now got the courage to post here instead. some of the messages are awesome, with so much knowledge applied.

from reading these threads i have managed to persuade my boss that we should be giving out more supplies to our clients this winter than during the rest of the year to save them having to go to either the postbox or my place of work in this possible "severe" compared to recently winter.

i'm not old enough to remember 1947 or 1963 but have good childhood memories of the late 1970's and early 1980's.

had to go to my mothers photo archives to pin-point the dates but here goes:

mum claims that the first two things i saw when i was born in january 1972 in liverpool were the moon and snow, maybe thats why i'm a snowaholic!

no records for 1979 or '80 but must have been pretty good here (isle of man) because the following year my grandfather commissioned sledges from the family joiner for my sister and i.

so good sledging snow january 1981

snow january 1982 sledges again :D

snow january 1985 and again :)

icicles march 1986

heres hoping for more !!!

bless, SpiritedStream ><>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's not all doom and gloom. Yes, global warming does look set to make snow events less and less common, and snowy winters become more and more rare. However, most such trends are erratic, with 'blips'. Analysis of synoptic charts indicates that the post 1988 period may well have been a 'blip' exaggerating the trend towards snowlessness, for not only have temperatures warmed, but the synoptic setups that brought the snowfalls in the 60s, 70s and 80s have been lacking during the post-1988 period.

Also, as shown by Jackfrost's observations, there will continue to be snow on high ground for some time yet. Given a 2 deg C warming (which is unlikely to happen for at least 50 years) and continuation of the positive NAO trend, winters at 300m will be like winters at 50m today. That certainly means a lot less snow, but it means that snow will not become entirely absent as a result of such a warming.

Global warming is not an irreversible trend. The climate system is chaotic and prone to uncertainty, and increased greenhouse gas emissions could even result in a cooling following feedback processes. No-one knows for certain.

And if you really want snow in the future, even if global temperature do rise by upwards of 2C, there's always the possibility of a Christmas holiday in the Alps or the Norwegian Fjords. Oslo would require a warming of some 5 deg C before snow in the winter months became unreliable.

Addressing a few points: Jackfrost's memory of snow on the 16th December 1998 is unfortunately off, because the date concerned had a strong Bartlett high and SWs. The three main cold snaps of December 1998 were the 5th-6th, the 19th-21st, and around the 28th.

The 21st March snowfall was unlikely to have been in 2000 (March 2000 being a very dry and mild month, with many dull days but also some very sunny days resulting in generally above average sunshine totals) I think it was probably March 2001, the 21st of which did indeed have heavy snowfalls over high ground in Wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It has happened to me in South Tyneside before; I think it happens when a snow shower has largely petered out so that the cloud is barely visible- but sometimes snow keeps falling until there isn't a trace of the cloud left.

This is particularly likely in a month like February 1986 when the winds were easterly almost all month. The Lancaster records show that this February was the driest on record with just a few mm of 'rain' (and also the third sunniest), yet snow was reported on 15 days.

The last time I remember it happening in South Tyneside was during the early hours of the 31st December 2001, when an east-coast snow shower died out, but snow fell for another 5-10 minutes under clear skies after the cloud disappeared.

Posted

I was going to ask why the winters have become so "snowless" over the past fifteen years. As ever, TWS has just about answered every question!

Does anybody know what the synoptic setups were for the cold winters? I remember the 1981 (I think it was 1981 or 1982) winter when temperatures down here in the south East plummeted to -18oc overnight. I also remember the huge icicles hanging from drainpipes and using them to have mock sword fights with my brothers.

Another favourite was pouring buckets of water onto footpaths which would then set hard within a few minutes creating a perfect Ice-rink.

We moved over from N Ireland in 1980 and our first Christmas in Reading was almost tropical. My mum still remembers us walking around in t-shirts.

The last really severe winter in the South East which I can remember was 1987. Easterly winds brought snow showers in for a few days followed by a general spell of snow overnight on a Tuesday (funny how I can still remember the exact day!). I was a member of the weather club at secondary school at the time and the teacher in charge of the club came into our science lesson to explain how the dry, cold air from the East was picking up warmth and moisture from the North Sea thus giving us heavy snow. That same day there was a gas leak and we were off school for three days. I remember taking my younger sister to school on a sledge during that period.

I can also remember a couple of occasions during the early eighties when the diesel in the car of our neighbours froze!

In the mid-nineties I moved to Nottingham to go to university. I can remember each winter! 1995 was a big disappointment. I think we had one cold spell with snow right at the end of winter in March.

1996 was much better. There was snow in January which didn't last too long. However, in February, we had a spell of North Easterlies. On one particular Wednesday I remember that Nottingham Forest were playing at home to Tottenham Hotspur in an FA Cup replay. East Midlands news had a reporter at the ground saying there had been a few snow showers during the day but nothing too serious.

I opened the front door at about 7PM and saw heavy snow swirling around on the road outside. This settled a little bit and left the classic "two black lines" down the road where cars left tyremarks. The real event happened about an hour or so later. Another shower hit and the snow came down really heavy. I was on a bus going up a hill and the bus was really struggling to make it. We ended up having to walk back home as the police had closed the road back to my house which was on a very small hill. Back at the football they had to abandon the match as the ref could not see either linesman! Anyone watching Sky Sports that night would have seen pictures of the commentator looking like a snowman. They still show the picture occasionally when looking back at classic moments. Looking at the radar later showed a finger of bright echoes travelling across Noittingham for about an hour and a half. A few miles North and a few miles South missed out completely.

Is there any reason why we don't get these winters any more (I mean the really cold ones like in the early eighties)? I know people point to global warming, but surely the synoptic setup could still occur to give us a lengthy period of cold? I can remember a few Mays recently when I've looked at the charts and seen a high pressure last over Scandinavia for weeks and wishing that it was January or February.

A bit long-winded I'm afraid...

Posted

As I promised Paul I am posting my day by day personal observations of the Great Winter of 1962/63, doing the three months Dec 62, Jan 63 and Feb 63 one at a time. At the time I did all my measurements in imperial but I have converted them all to metric for this purpose, as I have for my computer records. They include max, min tmps, precipitation totals and brief summary of each day's conditions.

DECEMBER 1962

Date Max C Min C Precipitation mm Weather

(*= snow)

Sat 01 5.6 3.3 - Sunny at times, fog evening

Sun 02 1.7 -2.8 - Fog early then sunny cold

Mon 03 2.2 -4.4 - Early fog then fine

Tue 04 1.1C -1.7 - Thick fog all day

Wed 05 -2.2C -3.3 - Dense freezing fog; Rime

Thu 06 -2.9C -6.7 - Dense freezing fog; Rime

Fri 07 9.8C -2.8 0.8 Early fog; clearing; sun; rain late

Sat 08 10.1C 5.6 10.7 Much milder; SW; heavy rain

Sun 09 8.9C 4.4 Fair

Mon 10 9.4 4.4 Cloudy at times

Tue 11 9.8 3.9 2.5 Rain at times

Wed 12 3.3 -1.1 Colder; NE wind

Thu 13 4.4 -1.3 Frost overnight then fair

Fri 14 12.2 -0.6 1.2 Early frost then showers; NW

Sat 15 11.7 3.9 Windy; strong NW winds

Sun 16 7.2 4.4 0.3 Very windy, getting colder

Mon 17 6.1 0.7 0.4 Very windy at times

Tue 18 7.2 0.8 1.3 Showers am; sunny pm

Wed 19 6.2 1.2 Sunny at times; chilly NW

Thu 20 8.9 -0.7 4.1 Quite mild; rain pm W

Fri 21 7.2 -0.4 5.1 Rain overnight; clear pm

Sat 22 2.2 -2.8 Very foggy & cold; clear, frost pm

Sun 23 -2.1 -3.1 Hard frost o/night; very cold E wind

Mon 24 -2.6 -5.7 Bitterly cold E wind; hard frost

Tue 25 -1.8 -5.1 CHRISTMAS DAY; Bitter cold ENE;cloud

Wed 26 -0.9 -7.9 21.2* Dull; v.cold; heavy snowstorm pm

Thu 27 -1.2 -3.4 6.3* Blizzard all night; powder snow

Fri 28 -2.4 -4.2 2.3* Very cold & frosty; sunny morn.

Sat 29 -1.7 -6.3 13.6* Fog am; v.cold; terrific blizzard pm

Sun 30 -1.2 -4.4 4.2* Lots of drifting; roads blocked

Mon 31 -0.8 -3.9 Mostly sunny; very cold in wind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Av.Max: 3.7C

Av.Min : -1.3C

Mean: : 1.2C

Rainfall: 74.0mm

Max level snow depth: 33cm

Days of complete snow cover: 6

No of air frosts: 21

Jan / Feb 63 to follow

Posted

Hi LL

I've got a weather diary from end Dec to end Feb 63 which I will try and post for winter 62-63. Makes interesting readin. Thanks for yours.

Posted

In response to the question about snow setups, there are a few that have been particularly noteworthy over the years.

Rrea00119870112.gif

This is the most famous "snow setup". It tends to bring very little snow to the north and west of Britain, but brings copious falls of dry powdery snow to southern and eastern Britain, accompanied by extremely low temperatures. The key features are low pressure over the Med, high pressure extending west from Scandinavia, and cold easterly winds over the UK. Major snow events can occur in south-west England when Atlantic fronts push against the cold air. Sometimes the high can then pull into Greenland giving northerlies.

Rrea00119690213.gif

The standard setup for prolonged wintry spells via north and east winds. High pressure from Greenland needs to form a block into the mid-Atlantic bringing northerlies, and when the northerly runs out of steam, the high ridges eastwards towards Scandinavia to produce easterlies.

Rrea00119811209.gif

Not a very common setup these days, but when a northerly blast sets in to the west of the UK, and this 'pool' of cold air in the Atlantic arrives at the UK via a north-westerly, the setup has historically brought heavy snowfalls to northern and western Britain. In some months (eg January 1978, January 1984, March 1995) we have even had snow from zonal westerly flows via this method, but it is rare when there is a long track over the ocean.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Early February 1991 was the last true severe wintry spell of more than 5 days to hit the whole country. There was a 10 day cold spell at the begining of that month - with very cold air moving west from NW Russia there was some big snowfalls particularly in the East and some very low temperatures. The NE had the greatest falls with 30 cm+ in some places such as Yorkshire. Temps didn't rise above freezing between 5 and 10th Feb 1991 in many places, with day temps as low as -6C in the SE.

It was the last snowfall of my childhood to cause the school to close, subsequently the end of Dec 1996 is the only cold spell that comes close to 1991, but that spell only lasted a few days.

Here's a chart for one of the days during the Feb '91 spell:

Rrea00119910208.gif

Edited by nick finnis

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Hi L.L

Interesting looking at your records of December 62, will look forward to reading the rest of your records.

I was only 10 years old, and wasn’t recording details then, but can clearly remember that incredible winter. Obviously most people in those days, didn’t have central heating or double-glazing, electric blankets etc, we just had a coal fire in the living room, which had always gone out by the morning.

On waking most mornings during that winter, I would have to scrape ice from the inside of my bedroom window to see outside. Even my fish tank froze in my bedroom on one occasion, I remember my dad saying, because the hot water bottle had gone cold, he chucked out of the bed during the night, on waking the next morning he found it frozen on the bedroom floor.

I suppose today now with all the home comforts we can enjoy cold weather rather than dread it, as most people did in those days, having to go without water because the pipes had frozen, not being able to wash / or not wanting to, because it was to cold, outside toilet frozen solid, with only a candle to try to keep it warm. I think most people would wish away a winter like that if they lived in those times.

Regards

Paul

Posted

Many thanks to everybody. Highly informative and interesting. Although it would be nice to get a 1987/1991 style winter I won't hold my (condensed!) breath...

Posted

JANUARY 1963

Date Max Min Precipn. Weather details

(*=snow)

Tue 01 -1.2 -1.7 3.8* Heavy snow am

Wed 02 -0.7 -1.2 1.3* Slight snow

Thu 03 -0.2 -3.3 9.6* Blizzard; strong NE v.cold; huge drifts

Fri 04 1.1 -1.3 2.1* Heavy snow at times; dull; windy

Sat 05 0.6 -1.0 Tr* Light snow at times; bright pm

Sun 06 0.4 -0.2 0.4* Light snow fluries ENE

Mon 07 -0.8 -1.6 Sunny intervals but very cold E wind

Tue 08 -1.2 -3.5 Mostly cloudy

Wed 09 -0.8 -4.4 Sunshine but very cold

Thu 10 0.4 -3.8 - do -

Fri 11 -2.2 -5.2 Sunny am but cloudy and colder pm

Sat 12 -3.6 -14.5 Extremely cold; feezing fog all day

Sun 13 -3.9 -10.6 - do - Amazing rime deposits

Mon 14 2.2 -10.3 Thick freezing fog clearing pm

Tue 15 -0.4 -5.6 Sunny at times not so cold

Wed 16 -0.8 -6.1 3.4* Heavy snowfalls

Thu 17 -4.2 -6.8 1.2* Snow at times plus soft hail; very cold wind

Fri 18 -2.2 -5.6 Sunny at times very cold ENE wind

Sat 19 -3.7 -7.7 3.8* Vry heavy snow all day; very windy drifting

Sun 20 -1.0 -6.3 2.2* Cloudy snow blowing in strong winds

Mon 21 -2.9 -4.6 Cloudy very cold

Tue 22 -3.3 -10.8 Bitter windchill; soft snow blowing/drifting

Wed 23 -8.4 -16.7 Extremely cold; foggy at times

Thu 24 -4.3 -15.1 Freezing fog am sunny pm; vry cold wind

Fri 25 -4.6 -9.5 Sunny but very cold

Sat 26 3.9 -11.1 Hard frost am then cloudier and much less cold

Sun 27 3.3 -5.2 Mostly cloudy; light SW wind

Mon 28 2.9 0.2 First frost free night this month

Tue 29 2.7 0.3 1.7* Frost early then snow showers pm

Wed 30 1.7 -2.1 0.8* Colder again with a litle snow pm

Thu 31 1.8 -3.4 1.4* Heavy snow all afternoon and evening

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Rainfall (snowfall equivalent) : 31.7mm

Mean Max temp: -0.9CC

Mean Min temp: -5.1C

Mean temp: -3.0C

No of air frosts: 29

Days with 100% snow cover: 31

Posted

hi

ref my comment about the 62-63 winter. Its in Excel and this forum system does not like it one bit soo I shall have to manually re-do it in another format to post it. This may take some time!

Posted

Hi Rollo:

I remember Nov 65 and looking back at the records it was a cold month with a lot of snow in the North at the end of the month as you say. My records say that we had a power cut owing to the cold stormy conditions on the 26 with snow accumulating on power lines. Seeing you were in the NE, Durham had 17 air frosts during the month. Balmy old Plymouth did not have a single air frost!

Paul: It's true there was very little central heating back in 1962/63. My grandmother lived in a tiny terrace cottage with just one coal fire. That winter when she woke in the morning she had to break the ice on the glass of water by her bed to retrieve her false teeth, bless her!! They made old ladies out of tough stuff in those days. LOL

John: That's OK son, as long as you don't call me grand-dad! :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Excellent stuff Ledbury Lad, were the readings taken in Herefordshire?

My own readings didn't begin until Sept' 1963 alas.

T.M

Posted

Hi LL

I suspect you and I could call one another Grandad and not be far off the mark!

Posted

February 1963 records to come tomorrow.....contains more snowstorms, one the worst of the whole winter. I loved all the snow when it first started but after nearly three months of it I was genuinely sick and tired of the whole bad winter and the sight of green grass again was fantastic. Wee bit tired now and going to watch traffic Cops on TV. Keep warm! :blink: