Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation


Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Horsham, W. Sussex
  • Interests
    Air Traffic Control
  • Weather Preferences
    Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Recent Profile Visitors

3,379 profile views
  1. Taken from @convectivewx and https://twitter.com/danholley_ twitter accounts.
  2. Thunderstorms (albeit only a 30% probability) forecast on both the Gatwick and Lydd airport TAFs between midnight and 0700 tonight.
  3. Just driven from Worthing to Horsham. Mostly rain with more of a sleety mix the closer I got to Horsham. Conditions weren't too bad for driving really, I was expecting more ice.
  4. Most likely three military aircraft (probably helicopters) in formation conducting night ops training with limited lighting. They fly with night vision goggles and the red anti-collision light is the minimum they can get away with. Flashing strobes tends to give you a headache if you're wearing NVGs!
  5. As someone who knows a thing or two about radar, the beams generally look "up" or at least on the horizontal, not down at the ground. So they only see what is falling in the air, and not what is actually hitting the ground. I regularly see people on these forums wondering why a blob is over them on the radar but they're not seeing anything at ground level - this is why.
  6. Likewise! Although I've "hidden/blocked" quite a few members on that thread which makes reading the model thread more palatable! I'm talking about the serial rampers and doom sayers.
  7. We're now in the period where getting excited over where a line on a map may be drawn is largely irrelevant. Models shows the general area, not an exact it will/wont snow here depiction. Same with thunderstorms, a general area is given but some places will miss out entirely. The closer you are to the edge of a "line", the more you should expect to be disappointed if snow is what you want!
  8. The Shoreham airport webcam pretty good for viewing, has sound too. http://flybrighton.com/live-information/webcam/
  9. The runway webcam at Shoreham Airport is a good one to watch as it also has sound. It looks north towards the South Downs. You occasionally hear the odd train go past! http://flybrighton.com/live-information/webcam/
  10. Message to operators is to fuel accordingly and be prepared for extended holding. Diversion capability limited tomorrow so main diversion options for London limited to near continent, although Amsterdam expected to have strong winds too. Birmingham most likely to be the worst affected simply due to the crosswind component. Leeds will probably struggle too with its runway orientation.
  11. http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ everything looks ok from a National Grid point of view...
  12. Remember a radar sees whats in the sky, not whats making it to the ground.
  13. Total predicted accumulations as of tomorrow morning. AROME 1.3km model. 00z run.
  14. The thoughts as of mid afternoon today regarding the airport-specific forecasts for tomorrow were for 60% chance of 0-2cm accumulations, 40% chance of 2-5cm and 10% chance in excess of 5cm for all the London airports. - Industry email.
  • Create New...