Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Seasonal Forecast Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Thanks for your thoughts. :) Not sure I'd look forward to the last sentence, if it was to come to fruition.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Just a quick question roger. What I thought was quite evident this year is the amount of low pressures coming along the south coast. Do you think that this might continue into winter and a chance of storms coming in at a west to east along the south bringing colder weather further north??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Thanks Roger

That is looking pretty much generally how I see it, which is particularly interesting as we have had no collaboration this year.  I'll be releasing mine 'officially' in early Nov after fully reviewing the OPI and some other little bits I look at BUT it overall will read closely to what I have written in Sept and what you have outlined so well.   I'll try and pinpoint a couple or three 'notable' events too.

Again with a jetstream I see on an overall NW/SE axis very close to west of UK 'overall variability' is the choice term as this in itself suggests that arctic airmases and tropical maritime arimasses will both have their time over us, which was completely absent last year.

regards

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for your thoughts. :) Not sure I'd look forward to the last sentence, if it was to come to fruition.

There's a thrill inside me that hopes that it does come to fruitition. Beats being under a Bartlett high, just hope no lives are lost - great forecast :good: I anticipate a battleground situations. Edited by Daniel*

Posted

Thanks Roger as always for a detailed account of how you see this Winter shaping up.

Looks like a rather messy Winter and although it carries lots of interest, if it ends up close to the mark, I can't see southern areas seeing much in the way of snow until later in Winter.  This being due the expectation of cold spells from mainly northerly outbreaks until February.  However, there is always potential for everyone in these situations and of course it really won't take much to beat last year!  It does sound a bit like a mid-noughties type of Winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Always good reading other people's thoughts.

Variable winters of recent past -

Winter 2012/2013 was preety variable, a cold first half to Dec, a very mild second half and first half Jan, cold second half Jan, milder start Feb, colder second half and then the very cold March.

But perhaps a better example of a real  very variable winter was 08/09 which had alternating mild and cold spells of fairly equal duration, a cold first half to Dec, very mild run up to christmas, a cold end of year - early Jan period, a more average period mid-late Jan, a cold first half to Feb and a very mild second half to Feb. The likes we hadn't experienced for a long time.

Another variable winter was 1993/94 especially in the north, with a cold second half to Nov, a very mild first half to Dec, colder second half to Dec in the north, an average Jan, mild start to Feb and a cold mid-second half, but overall the milder conditions lasted longer than the cold, and in the south no real cold embedded itself.

I wouldn't class mid noughties winters as particularly variable, 2005/2006 was very static in nature, with a brief colder phase just after christmas and end of Feb, otherwise temps were very consistently average. 2004/2005 was mild in the main, only becoming cold second half to Feb. 2003/2004 was devoid of any particularly sustained cold weather, a couple of northerlies at the end of Jan and Feb otherwise average or mild throughout.

Winter 00/01 was quite variable again more so in the north, a very mild first half to Dec, cold end, a mild first half Jan, colder middle, fairly cold end Jan and much of Feb thereafter.

I like the sound of a variable winter, provided the colder periods last longer than the mild ones, and that we don't see anything too mild. 2008/2009 was very enjoyable in this respect with the exception of the run up to christmas, the period from christmas to mid Feb was mostly cold or just average with only a short burst of mild conditions mid Jan. 

• Like 2

Posted

I was thinking along the same lines as Roger until I started reading the OPI thread - now I don't know what to think. However, on reflection, I'm wondering if this finally will be the year to revisit 1991 and a proper severe cold pool from the east. My thinking is that the Scandi High, quite unexpectedly, emerged as the main player of the summer, and IIRC nearly so nearly tipped the scales on the Atlantic during January 2014 - i wonder if this is now a long term trend and if there is the absence of such a strong Canadian/Greenland vortex, perhaps any Scandi/Russian High will be able to assert itself westwards.

Edited by rjbw

Posted

Detailed version -- highly variable winter pattern expected

thanks as always Roger, I don't think anyone could really challenge those headlines. You can also be more accurate in your short term ideas than many over this side of the water. What I disagree with is the detail, I honestly feel it is impossible, no matter what system is used, to predict in any detail of even approximate dates for deep cold or very mild and changeable. Maybe a trend early, late or mid term in a 3 month cycle but I am at a loss to see how such detail can be given. I do have to admit that your system, in spite of trying hard to understand it some years ago when you went into a lot of detail to try and help those of us with an open mind, is still a bit of a blank in  most aspects. Still hats off Roger you are known for taking time and a huge amount of effort to produce your forecasts, again thank you.

• Like 5

Posted

I was thinking along the same lines as Roger until I started reading the OPI thread - now I don't know what to think. However, on reflection, I'm wondering if this finally will be the year to revisit 1991 and a proper severe cold pool from the east. My thinking is that the Scandi High, quite unexpectedly, emerged as the main player of the summer, and IIRC nearly so nearly tipped the scales on the Atlantic during January 2014 - i wonder if this is now a long term trend and if there is the absence of such a strong Canadian/Greenland vortex, perhaps any Scandi/Russian High will be able to assert itself westwards.

This is a good example of how an uninspiring OPI figure is not the death knell on winter hopes - MMW rides to the rescue in Late January.

http://curriculum.pmartineau.webfactional.com/wp-content/svw_gallery/test/gif/1991_01_28.gif

Animation courtesy of Patrick Martineau.

Meteociel 15 day archive for corresponding period.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=20&month=1&hour=0&year=1991&map=7&mode=2

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Did any of the annual winter soothsayers predict a snowless winter, last time out? No, I thought not. :oops:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Did any of the annual winter soothsayers predict a snowless winter, last time out? No, I thought not. :oops:

To be fair to RJS he did go for a significantly above average winter temperature-wise last year, as most people did for the first half of winter at least, and specifics like snowfall totals are notoriously difficult to predict (not to mention that it wasn't a snowless winter anyway IMBY and certainly not for the poor ptarmigans up Cairngorm who got buried in metres of the stuff :laugh:). 

Posted

Maybe not but the extra storminess was picked up on, but to be totally snowless? Probably not

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

Have a look at the archives Pete and you may well find a members forecast (winter 2013/2014)  The forecast was for a mild wet and windy winter..................

It was Ian Pennell I think, his forecast for last winter was very accurate.

Edited by DAVID SNOW
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apologies for coming across the way I did; it was rather clumsy...But, I do believe that (as we are all folks who've been watching and thinking weather for almost our entire lives) it's intuition that we mostly use when predicting? Remember how many of us 'felt' that the Big Freeze of December 2012 would never materialize, and only went along because it was universally predicted, by those who matter?

When I was very young, I would swear that I could smell snow...Folks said I was a sandwich short of a picnic, but I was too often right for that. :fool:  As I discovered later, however, there was a sugar refinery two miles' away to the north east...

On a more lighthearted note: when's James Madden's prediction going to be published? :wallbash:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Interesting forecast how do you think you did ?

Wasn't as wet and the northerly winds didn't really show in June/July but came along a bit later.

Fairly good over all

Just spotted this, but my opinion is that overall is that the forecast was awful! No excuses!

I might try a more simplified approach for the coming winter.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Our old friend Ian Brown, of the (completely busted) theory of winter modernity, has posted his thoughts for the winter on another forum http://www.ukweatherwatch.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=4564&sid=bc6d1a9e42838471b70772eb494944c8 :

Well it's been a few years since I attempted a winter forecast, and certainly they haven't always met with success but I think as far as LRFs go, we can have reasonable confidence this winter. The main points are :

- Lack of High Latitude Blocking
- Dominant Polar Vortex and largely positive NAO/AO.
- Much above average rainfall totals in the North and West
- Milder than average, with January the coldest month.

The last 12 months or so have seen the sort of return to above average temperatures that we saw for an extended long period up until 2009. The change that we saw in our winter patterns at this time can, primarily, be put down to very low solar activity. This led to less energy in the system and enabled high latitude blocking to develop during the winter periods, this had hitheto been a thing of rarity in the previous 21 winters. Solar activity is expected to be around average over the coming months.

A weak El-Nino is likely to the prevailing ENSO situation; this doesn't correlate strongly in either way for a mild or a cold winter. though perhaps a weak El-Nino and negative QBO does trend towards colder conditions. However, seasonal modelling, which is of course essentially experimental and subject to change, sees a strongly +ve NAO set-up, very much in the pattern of the modern winters that came to define the post 1987 period. The late eighties and late nineties in particular saw a succession of above average Autumns which continued through the winter periods and that is what I envisage for this winter. US forecasters, who did generally did very well with the forecasting of exceptional conditions in America last winter, forsee a similar winter to last year, although less extreme in terms of polar plunges. A negative PNA, with low pressure spawning around the North Eastern states is expected to be the broad pattern.

Last winter we saw a pattern of continuous zonality as aggressive Lows made their way across the Atlantic bringing some exceptional wind and rain to all parts, what was different to the more traditional zonal winters was that the jet was so strong, Southern areas often bore the brunt of these systems. This winter, I expect a more traditional pattern of the wettest weather in the North and West, with High pressure closer to Southern areas.

December will be dominated by an Atlantic driven pattern once a possible northerly spell with some snow for North Western areas in particular has toppled, this could occur at the very end of November. The period between Xmas and New Year is likely to be particular stormy for Ireland and Western Scotland. Rainfall and temperature will be above average for all areas, and a CET of between 6 and 6.5 is anticipated.

January is expected to begin in the same vane before the jet moves further North and allows a mid-latitude Rex block to sit over the UK for a time; this will be the driest and coldest period of the winter. Pressure will lower over Europe and there are likely to be a series of snow events for SE Europe, perhaps extending as far West as Italy. By the final third of the month, the High will have sunk into Europe with milder and wetter weather once again the order oft the day. Rainfall overall will be average with a CET return 4.5 to 5C.

The final winter month is likely to see a continuation of the pattern that ended January with quite an intense Polar Vortex to the NW and the downstream ridging over Europe that we would see from that driver. Once again, quite wet in the NW especially but not as stormy and later on we could see some exceptionally mild temperatures associated with long draw South Westerly winds. Above average rainfall for the NW, closer or perhaps slightly below average in the SE. The CET forecast for February is 6.5 to 7C.

I hope to provide an update in early December and of course, comments are welcome.

It's like he never left (2009 that is)  :laugh:  But seriously, fair play to him for putting a forecast out again, publishing an LRF takes guts and who knows, maybe he'll get it right this time (although for obvious reasons I hope not)  :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Our old friend Ian Brown, of the (completely busted) theory of winter modernity, has posted his thoughts for the winter on another forum http://www.ukweatherwatch.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=4564&sid=bc6d1a9e42838471b70772eb494944c8 :

It's like he never left (2009 that is)  :laugh:  But seriously, fair play to him for putting a forecast out again, publishing an LRF takes guts and who knows, maybe he'll get it right this time (although for obvious reasons I hope not)  :good:

Ah yes The Madden of Mild.

Does anyone else remember his Anglo saxon four letter word moment  a few winters back when after telling us there was no way a cold scenario could develop (despite it being obvious to most of the rest of us that it would) the charts then went into cold and snow territory.

What deep joy that brought.

Edited by mcweather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Warmth

The Weather Outlook are also going for 'mild' although the full forecast will be out at the end of November  :angry:

I'm sure Ian Brown was on the radio a few years ago talking about the even larger teapot.

The large teapot ? I didn't type that ?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

IT WILL BE A MILD wINTER.........WITH TEMPS AROUND 13C-15c  .....Less windy....and drier...........Early Spring .......should start second week of....February......................NUFF SAID.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

IT WILL BE A MILD wINTER.........WITH TEMPS AROUND 13C-15c  .....Less windy....and drier...........Early Spring .......should start second week of....February......................NUFF SAID.....

Crikey I didn't realise Ian Brown had a son called Troy.  :)

• Like 4

Posted

IT WILL BE A MILD wINTER.........WITH TEMPS AROUND 13C-15c .....Less windy....and drier...........Early Spring .......should start second week of....February......................NUFF SAID.....

Well as constructive and informative forecasts go this one's not quite up there with the best. Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Like 3

Posted

Well as constructive and informative forecasts go this one's not quite up there with the best.

Its either someone mimicking or is Bill Farkin from another site....accuracy levels, I'm sure that will be revealed at some stage.  There are alternative methods, then there's ALTERNATIVE methods :)

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

welcome to another comic for Net Weather.

• Like 6