Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Just to add I saw snow hail and sleet yesterday looking out of my conservatory window here in North Yorkshire. This is ridiculous , yes I love snow and Frost but not in nearly May. I'm seriously thinking of using a tanning salon to get much needed vitamin D. It was warmer on Christmas day then it is now,,, I can understand some people seriously questioning climate change, the weather is certainly not like it was for me growing up as a boy in the 1970's.
  3. danm And crap water too, not Med water or Adriatic water.
  4. Adding to this, our issue is also being surrounded on water on all sides. The only way to get crystal clear blue skies in this county is if a high is slap bang over us with 1025-1030mb pressure, or having a SE’erly airflow from off the near continent which drags in dry air, or from a northerly airstream in mid winter as we had in Jan. It’s much easier in continental locations as low cloud getting dragged in off a cold sea is much less of an issue. It’s not looking particularly good in the west either.
  5. In Absence of True Seasons Looks like we are getting a repeat of last year's weather but worse than last year's. What decent weather there will be, it's going to be in the west and we here in the east will get cold cloudy weather for the foreseeable. There are zero signs it's gonna change in May. People insisting something's gotta give, well it ain't this rubbish weather, apparently
  6. MP-R the high was centred over western Ireland so here in the east and over much of mainland UK in fact, we were on the eastern edge of the high, where pressure was lower. Not to mention an onshore breeze off the North Sea. You can have cold upper air temperatures too and brilliant sunshine, so long as pressure is high enough to kill off cloud formation and also not having an onshore breeze dragging in low cloud.
  7. danm I think even more so we need warmer upper air. Pressure was around 1025-1030mb over the weekend but central England eastwards saw a lot of infill after clear starts. Brilliant sunshine here in the West Country though.
  8. 0z deterministic runs, out to Thu 2 May (day 7) Start of May doesn't look too bad for the northeast and Scotland then? 0z ensemble means, out to Fri 10 May (day 15) GEFS still doesn't want that easterly! Later on it's still just the same story of Atlantic ridging with us looking to be on the cold side of it.
  9. tricol I don’t think it could be much worse for this time of year. It’s rained almost every day, it’s below average temperature wise and it’s frosty of a night time. Only thing that would make it worse is high winds.
  10. jamesthemonkeh fine for those further west, Ireland looking good again, those in the east will have to put up with a cool north/north east flow, low cloud etc, I'd rather it was centred 300/400 east. The feed of northerlies is endless here in the east.
  11. richie3846 Yeah its a tough one. I've done my best with my sunshine tables to factor in any notable adjustments (Heathrow/Charlwood) but making them a touch lower than necessary so that I don't have to adjust small under estimating like from places like Shoeburyness, Odiham etc (otherwise I'd have to adjust all 60 stations which would take forever lol) & so I've got as accurate as a comparison between stations as I can get. It may not be absolutely 100% accurate but gives you a rough guide at what places are doing better than others so I hope it helps some people at least!
  12. Today
  13. SunSean what a crazy situation. There's me thinking the table of calculations would cover all. So basically there's no point comparing any data at all, and we only really have the met office climate summary maps, to help us figure out the realistic picture.
  14. jamesthemonkeh I wish that SSW didn't happen. Just want some warm sunny weather. Getting seriously depressed
  15. Morning All, what started out as wall to wall blue sky has turned grey (all 50 shade). The overnight low of 1.4°C at: 06:21 has risen to 10.3°C, RH68% and light air movement from the N - NW. From Above On Golden sands, there still some brave folk in the world
  16. Howie 10 days away but it does also have some support as the ECM medium-range and CFSv2 long-range suggest a high pressure anomoly to the west. Pretty much makes up my decision to go on holiday in May! More hope for latter parts of May, I'd suggest (albeit without evidence).
  17. danm I'm aware. HP. just seems to be impossible to obtain. We get it for 1-2 days max then back to the constant lows.
  18. Cold start to the day at 3c . Currently 5c with a snow shower over the Cairngorms to the south of us More Arctic skies to the north over the Firth Small snow showers to the NE ovet the North Sea . Super afternoon yesterday so decided to try some gardening bipt ground was rock hard after all the winter rain so will need to be all forked before sowing anything. Made a start yesterday.
  19. Turned My hand to painting (Johhny Nice Painter-esque?).....just about sums it up around these parts....I call it "April Showers"...
  20. SunSean Agree. We basically skip Spring in such set-ups (Spring here meaning something actually different, more useable and more pleasant than the winter weather prior), and get a 2-month minimum extension of December-like dross. Exactly the same as last year. I wouldn't be surprised if most of May is cool and cloudy and then out of nowhere we get the week-long heatwave in June with zero transition or steady shift to summery weather. Sure, May *might* be better, but the start of it certainly won't be, and by that point, we've wasted away most of Spring already. May is the final third of Spring and the latter half sort of bleeds into summer anyway (or it should, at least), so the time for high Spring is well past. Getting 17c-20c days in May isn't some grand feat or sign of a major pattern shift tbh. It's very expected weather in May especially for the SE. Such days I expected here and there during April too.
  21. ...we just need higher pressure. Things like infill, or clouding over, or afternoon showers will keep happening whilst we have relatively low pressure in charge. We need a solid high at or above 1025-1030mb. We haven't had that for any length of time since early January.
  22. Dare i watch the GFS 06Z I'm sure the polar bears will love the HP. Don't worry about us all in Northern Europe stuck under another month of cloudy, cool, wet dross lol
  23. Stabilo19 Because the new sunshine sensor under reports, so cant be compared to old data, or other locations in the UK or Europe.
  24. 2 / 3 hours of sun this morning and now in comes the cloud, like clockwork. No doubt it'll all clear again this evening after dinner-tine lol. We genuinely need the starts to align in this country to get an actually sunny, or even mostly sunny day. Utterly infuriating.
  1. Load more activity