Problems logging in? ×
Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Brief heavy shower coming back over the tops from Burnley but sunny again now. that’s as bad as it gets.
  3. Think every sane person is noticing the amount of rain and lack of sun now!
  4. MP-R Yes, June 2008 was infinitely better than June 1998. June 1998 was plain horrific. We had a decent weekend on the 6th/7th (bright and fairly warm), a hot day on the 19th, a hot thundery day on the 20th and a warm bright day on the 21st. The rest of the time, constant deluges and dull weather, it was horrendous. Very close to June 2012 for awfulness. June 2008 on the other hand was mostly settled, fine and sunny. The only interruption of note was a cool showery interlude mid-month, and even that wasn't bad with nice clear northerlies and aesthetically-pleasing Cbs. There was however a somewhat nagging cool W-ly wind (accompanied by bright sunshine) around the solstice, but as it was only June it was much less irritating than if it had occurred in July or August, when you want it warm, balmy and with little wind. July 2008 I would rate higher than July 1998. July 1998 was dryish but cool and very cloudy. July 2008 was poor from around the 3rd to the 10th, then cool but rather dry - and not that dull - for about 10 days and then hot for 8 days. The 29th and 31st were poor with the 30th being a further warm day. August 2008 was of course much, much worse than 1998. You could say that June 2008 and August 1998 were similar, and June 1998 and August 2008 similar. And both Julys on the cool and cloudy side but neither were overly wet.
  5. Bumping this now as I'm starting to look at the Monthly Weather Report to provide full documentary evidence on EWP. I'm also expanding it to cover dry months too. Started by looking at the period 1974-77, which is notable for extremes of both kind (dry and wet). For wet months, we had a run of 6 from June to November 1974, though July 1974 was slightly dry in the South East/Central Southern region. We then had another run of 7 months from September 1976 to March 1977. So neither will challenge the likely 10 months now, from July 2023 to April 2024. On the other hand, the period did feature a remarkable 11-month dry period from October 1975 to August 1976. From the 70s onwards, this is the longest run of consecutive dry or wet months I can find. What a period to have been into the weather! I was alive then but sadly can't remember it. Furthermore, from May 1975 to August 1976, only September 1975 was wet. Will continue searching further back, for anything to challenge the current likely-10-month wet spell, or any other remarkable dry spells.
  6. sorepaw1 you haven't posted much for 10 years! lol Asher Hugs!
  7. *Stormforce~beka* Winchester is one of the sunnier places in the UK! Imagine what it's like in the north east!
  8. BlueSkies_do_I_see What I think is a practical certainty is that we'll have the wettest first 4 months of the year on record. Even a dry 2nd half of April won't save us from that, I suspect.
  9. AderynCoch I can't stop staring at this for my extremely rare blue sky fix
  10. 06z is a horror show, but as Summer8906 says at least the 00z wasn't as bad. But looking at the 06z the polar front at the end of the run is close to the Canary Islands for heavens sake, with the jet way south. Have to expect unsettled for at least next two weeks and perhaps up to 3 weeks from today. I'm not sure how I am going to get the grass cut
  11. Quickly clouded over with light showers sun back out again now Temp 11.1C, Barometer 982mb rising slowly, Wind F3 SSW, rainfall Trace
  12. Absolutely tonking it down. Hail too. Looked like it was fizzling out on the radar, then it pepped up out of nowhere. Literally just got some grass seed down and covered it in compost. Blue skies out West, so it'll be lovely in a bit. Bought BBQ stuff for tomorrow, or Sunday.
  13. baddie I hope so though the GFS paints a grimmer picture. We need the low track to shift perhaps 200 or 300 miles further south (or 1000 miles further north!)
  14. Today
  15. 8.5 and 130. A horrific first week, which will contribute about half the total on its own. Perhaps 300% of the normal for the first week of April. Second week could go either way though probably slightly wetter than normal, say 110% of the normal for the second week. I'm assuming (hoping!) that the second half of the month will be slightly drier than normal otherwise I'd go even higher. The first half of the month to be the wettest first half on record. Temps bang on average for 1981-2010, with cool days and mild nights, particularly at first though second half might provide warmer days and cooler nights. I can't see any mild/warm days in the first half as even when the wind is from a mild direction, it will be very cloudy; from April onwards warm daytime temps usually require sunshine and light winds. A lot of days around the 10-13 mark in the first half (i.e. much like Nov, Dec, Feb, March...) Absolute max around 22 due to settled weather late in the month. The same spell which provides the 22C max will also provide the month's only sub-zero minima. (Incidentally I've never known so much of a sense of despondency about a month before it's even begun!)
  16. If Heathrow gets another 5.2mm, it will equal the wettest March on record. 5.3mm needed to be THE wettest.
  17. baddie I can't think of anything worse than a cold, record dull rainfest after the last 11 months of the same.
  18. Summer8906 According to Met Office, the first 4 days of April are looking dry, cold and cloudy with winds from the E half
  19. Andy Bown I saw the A303 at Mere on the news this morning flooded. My sister is driving to Midsomer Norton tomorrow from Guildford to visit my mother and we're wondering how passable some of the roads will be; definitely not going via Chitterne!
  20. Could this be the wettest April since 1966? (EDIT: sorry, ignore that - I long assumed '66 was the wettest on record but it appears both 2000 and 2012 were wetter - the forecast synoptics reminded me of 1966 which is why I mentioned it). The GFS 06z is literally worse than any April of my lifetime, including 1983, 2000 or 2012. The 00z is better, it looks almost normal for week 2: I just hope that's closer to the mark.
  21. Latest GFS 06z run buries northern Scotland in snow for the first week or so of April - even in la la land it's suggesting that Southern England could have a splattering as well!
  22. BruenSryan let's hope this is a new trend setter with a sunnier summer not overly fussed about temperature as long as nighttime mins are warmer than average
  23. kold weather GFS 00z operational is less extreme for the 2nd week in April (more like "normal changeable" than extreme) but even still, you're probably right. 300% rainfall for week 1 (possible - Week 1 looks truly extreme, especially for the time of year) and say 110% rainfall for week 2 of April will still mean 205%, approximately, of normal rainfall for the first half of April and even if 16th-30th was bone-dry April would be a 10th consecutive wet month. May would thus have to be almost rainless to prevent spring being a fifth (?) consecutive wet season.
  1. Load more activity