Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Copperhouse Creek and Canal

knocker
Sign in to follow this  

In 1758 the Cornish Copper Company set up a copper smelter at Ventonleague on the southern shore of the Phillack Estuary . The company had moved here from Carn Entral, Camborne, as the cost of transporting coal inland was proving prohibitive. The estuary at this point was very shallow, however, and in order to bring vessels right up to the works a canal was dug from the mouth of Penpol Creek up to Ventonleague. By the 1780s the company had become very successful, despite the opposition of the Welsh smelters; additional land was purchased on both sides of the Creek, and two quays, (North Quay and Carnsew Quay) had been acquired by 1789.

  • Like 1
Sign in to follow this  

Photo Information for Copperhouse Creek and Canal


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...