Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The cold wintry spell of late February 1948

Weather-history

Posted

The winter of 1947-48 had been largely wet and mild with a CET of 5.1

During the second half of February 1948, there was a notable wintry spell as a Scandinavian high developed and pulled in a very cold easterly flow across many parts.

Chart for 13th February

Rrea00119480213.gif

The chart for the 19th

Rrea00119480219.gif

A very cold pool moved across many southern parts bringing sub zero maxima, heavy snowfalls and blizzards.

Rrea00219480221.gif

The month ended on a milder note as the winds became southerly.

Posted
I've written a short article about what happen during February 1948, that was a mild and wet winter but even so a Scandi high still developed and gave a potent short cold spell.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...mp;#entry926349

Hi Mr Data

This a paragraph from one of the most detailed Weather Books ever written its called London Weather by JH Brazell so being a Southerner its of most interest to me (Bought from London Weather Centre Holburn 30 years ago. )_I love the North I really do.

February 1948. Heavy snow ,with much drifting,fell in the London area during 20-22 February. Biggin Hill had 14in(35cm)of snow Wilmington (Kent) over 11 in and Croydon

10 in and there were drifts of 3-4 ft in Hampstead. This snow-storm was comparable with any experienced during the severe winter of 1946/47.

The temps stayed below max of 2c from 20th Feb to 25th ;)