Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold spell - general discussion

Paul

Posted

Please continue your general discussions about the current/upcoming cold spell in this thread.

For those with 'will it snow in???' type questions a dedicated thread for that will be started later, but in the meantime, see the will it snow feature on netweather!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wisi;sess=

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Another Lovely Spring like day here hard to believe that Winter is around the corner. Hopefully it'll cool down as much as they say As suggested temps in the last few days have been to low and it's been much warmer than stated.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

850 temps are looking about right , between -7c and -9c wednesday and Thursday , Dam looks to be between 510- 528 Wednesday and Thursday , i reckon Thursday could be our best bet . some heavy cloud expected in the north east with a possiblity of a South Easterly wind

im proberably wrong ,

nigel

Posted
Another Lovely Spring like day here hard to believe that Winter is around the corner. Hopefully it'll cool down as much as they say As suggested temps in the last few days have been to low and it's been much warmer than stated.

Far from spring like here, was frosty till around 10.30, fog has lingered all day making it feel very cold indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well its risen to 6.3C in the lovely sunshine today but we did have a nice frost down to -5.1C this morning. :drinks:

Just noticed xcweather has changed th colours on the temperature map, to me it a bit confusing, I think they should change it back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Well its risen to 6.3C in the lovely sunshine today but we did have a nice frost down to -5.1C this morning. :drinks:

Just noticed xcweather has changed th colours on the temperature map, to me it a bit confusing, I think they should change it back.

A balmy 7.5C here.

I expect sleet maybe wet snow here this week, if i am lucky. Look forward to seeing lots of photos of people snowed in on here though :)

That XC weather colour change is :)

Russ

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

As i keep saying, winters gonna arrive with a late suprise. I've been saying to look forward to upgrades from the models all last week, and to expect the beast from the east when I made my february CET prediction of 3.6'c. It's also worth noteing that the frosts are going to get much more widespread and lower temps before any snow starts falling, which is also a good thing as this will cool the ground and stop any melt from underneath occuring, and lower the overall surface temperatures.

Those old daffodils are gonna wish they'd stayed in bed by the end of the week :rolleyes:

Posted

Frost is all gone here now and temp up to 6.9c from a low of -3c. We seem to have missed the fog here though, Belfast Harbour and Aldergrove are both still only at 1c with fog :rolleyes:

Posted
Far from spring like here, was frosty till around 10.30, fog has lingered all day making it feel very cold indeed.

Come to tropical Sheffield. Temp now fallen to a warmish 9.3C someones going to get a big surprise later in the week.

Posted

Looks like theres quite bit of Pollution getting trapped in the air as well. Dirty brown misty type clouds over town as the temps fall off. I guess thats low level ozone. :rolleyes:

Posted

Earlier sat shot of the current setup. Look at all that cold air coming down from the north/northwest:

LOC_20070204_1200.png

Keep us posted V141 and the Tatty man himself, Pete :rolleyes:

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Looks like theres quite bit of Pollution getting trapped in the air as well. Dirty brown misty type clouds over town as the temps fall off. I guess thats low level ozone. :rolleyes:

That'll clear after the cold front passes through as Arctic air is normally much cleaner.

I have found Sheffield to be very warm in comparison to surrounding areas - i think its the micro-climate. Have been driving over Snake Pass in snow and temps of just 1C and then been in sunshine and 8C in Sheffield.

Posted

Well my area has the potential for a decent snow event week - snow showers Monday & Tuesday but I wonder if there's a risk that the slow moving occluded front which is forecasted to arrive on Thursday will stall and give significant snowfall across northern parts. A high seems to build over Scandinavis too which gives us a strong SE'ly! There's a risk that somewhere could get buried - what d'ya think???

Posted

just hope its not rain for me like last march when we were predicted heavy snow and got torrential rain all night

Posted

I notice that it got up to 9c today in Charlwood (the nearest Met Office station to Reigate these days) but we did make -3.9 last night...

-6 tonight perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Briefly got up to 7.3 here from a low minus 3.9. Im hoping for something lower than minus 5 tonight. Good to see such a big turn around from the balmy january we just had.

Guest Viking141

Certainly cold enough for snow here now, current temp 3.6C all important dewpoint is now sub-zero at -0.2C. Clear at the moment though.

Posted

What do people think the lowest minima will be this week. I suspect Monday and Tuesday night will be the best shot, I wouldn't be suprised to see a -12C somewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
What do people think the lowest minima will be this week. I suspect Monday and Tuesday night will be the best shot, I wouldn't be suprised to see a -12C somewhere.

Could be somewhere in The Central Highlands, methinks?